Menu

By 9:30am, my nerves are shot

I'm not sure what I can do to improve our school day. Maybe you have some ideas? Here's our basic shedule - I'm leaving out my 10th grader because he does most everything independently in the morning, my 2yo thankfully plays nicely in high chair:

8AM - 7th, 3rd work on math, 1st & K piano lessons w/me

8:30 - 7th math, 3rd piano, 1st & K math/handwriting/ETC w/me

9:00 - 7th piano, 3rd handwriting/grammar, 1st & K Phonics/FLL w/me

9:30 - 7th science (Rainbow) or logic, 3rd/1st/K snack

10:00 - 7th science or logic, 3rd & 1st science or Latin, K play

10:30 - 7th & 3rd violin, 1st, K, & 2yo play.

11-1:30 clean-up, lunch, chores, storytime

1:30 nap for K & 2yo, history and lit. for everyone else. Usually by 2 o'clock I feel as though I can breath again and read with 1st grader, or have discussion sessions with the olders, and start getting dinner ready.

The main issue, I guess, is that my K & 1st grader need me with them pretty much constantly to help them and keep them on task (1st grader has focus/ADD type issues). My 3rd grader needs frequent help with math, piano, and grammar, and my 7th grader NEEDS help with piano but I usually just close my ears to it :glare: because I'm trying to do phonics with the youngers. She also needs help staying on task and moving on to the next subject.

I find myself spending half the morning telling everyone to just ZIP IT! And then I forget about snack. And then I go hide in my closet for a few minutes. I can't spend another year like this. It's only been a week and a half and I already feel like I'm losing it.

To me (just me, my opinion :) ) piano and violin are extra-curricular, and should be taught after school hours (or at least not at the expense of other subjects. I also think the schedule looks very rushed. You need to slow down :)

It looks to me like the 7th grader is only spending 2 hours on actual core-knowledge. Honestly - I don't know how you are managing that at that grade level. Are you doing block scheduling (where is history? Language arts?)?

Also - do they need actual music lessons every day? I would think you could assign pieces and have them work on them independently for about a week in between (more similar to what a hired, weekly teacher would do).

I can tell music is very important to you, and I agree that it is important, and obviously only you can decide where you want their academic focus to be - but I think doing two instruments every day is what is causing you so much stress.

Is it a noise issue? Perhaps the instruments could be practiced at a different time of day when you aren't working with other kids. I do see the value of including it in your school routine as music, I think that's fine. I just know the noise would personally drive me nuts.

on the other hand....

we do violin and piano every day, and do it as part of school. i do not teach every day, but i give them each ten minutes of my time for them to have me help them if they need it during their practice time. they get an hour's lesson time each week, which is scheduled separately.

it helps me to relax to designate their music practice time as "their" time. that said, i try to do something during that time that is productive, but where i am not grumpy if they "need" me.

so during youngest's practice time, which she does back to back (ie. piano and then violin) is when i do dishes, laundry and when the eldest is doing something she can do on her own (often grammar and logic). this is at the beginning of the day, usually before 8 am. at the beginning stages of music learning, we did it while i was preparing meals. i'd teach for a few minutes, they'd practice what i had taught while i started dinner, then i'd teach a bit more, etc, etc.

the eldest splits her practice time, because its 45 minutes each, and fits it in when she finishes one subject and i am not ready to start the next with her. she prefers to practice later in the school day.

when i had four at home, i would read with the littles, eat, and do only their things for the first hour each day. the elders slept in. then, it would be 8am. then the littles would play while i started the elders.

things that helped:

10 am was coffee break for me, while the littles watched magic school bus for a half hour and the elders continued with whatever they were doing.

happy horizontal hour after lunch every day for everyone, including me. then cuddle and reading time with littles, and whatever was left for elders.

all that said, we schooled from 7am until noon every day, with coffee at 10am. then we cleaned up, did chores/prepared lunch, ate while i read aloud and had happy horizontal hour.

then at 2pm we started up again, and went until it was done, which was usually 4pm, in time to start dance.

hmmmm.... must think....

We did school for far less time when they were young - about 30 minutes to an hour per grade level....

But in 7th - 5 hours minimum. No music or extra-curriculars.

I'm wonderring if just trying to get everything in so fast is the problem?

I would feel very rushed on that schedule.

things you might try:

coffee break

later morning end time to allow everyone to nap/read on their own in their beds after lunch

moving the music practice that takes your attention to a non-school time (ie. the littles), while the elders fit it in during.... and then tweak it. try it before school starts while the others do chores. try it after school while the others do chores.

but i'm wondering if its more a mindset, with you feeling responsible for it all. it realllllllly helped me to be clear that i was responsible for the teaching end of it, and to help them as needed, but it was their work, and they needed to do it. everyone works and practices in the main room here, because it helps me to refocus them (and for them to refocus me) as we go along....

:grouphug:

ann

I agree with the PP. I think the piano may be slight overkill. Have you considered giving one piano lesson a day, say Monday for the 7th, Tuesday for the 3rd, etc. then just having them practice on their own later in the day? It certainly would free you up to spend more time with them on academics.

To me (just me, my opinion :) ) piano and violin are extra-curricular, and should be taught after school hours (or at least not at the expense of other subjects. I also think the schedule looks very rushed. You need to slow down :)

It looks to me like the 7th grader is only spending 2 hours on actual core-knowledge. Honestly - I don't know how you are managing that at that grade level. Are you doing block scheduling (where is history? Language arts?)?

Also - do they need actual music lessons every day? I would think you could assign pieces and have them work on them independently for about a week in between (more similar to what a hired, weekly teacher would do).

I can tell music is very important to you, and I agree that it is important, and obviously only you can decide where you want their academic focus to be - but I think doing two instruments every day is what is causing you so much stress.

She has grammar in there at 9am and history at 1:30pm :001_smile: So it is there!

However I am in agreement with the others. Perhaps stagger the kids with the music lessons, and make it after regular school is done. Since the 7th needs help with piano it would be better to do it once a week with quality one on one time then to wait until the bad habits are created and have to be broken. :)

For clarification, you are working with:

1. 7th grader
  2. 3rd grader
  3. 1st grader
  4. Kindergartner
  5. Two year old

Wow! I'd be frazzled by 9:30 too!

If it were me, I'd focus on getting the soon to be hormonal 7th grader to work independently. The mainstay here would be for 7th grader to maintain accountability for school work and be prepared for biweekly meeting with you. Use car time for discussions with 7th grader in the front seat.

The 3rd grader does need the most one-on-one. Try establishing a routine where the 1st and 3rd grader can do subjects together i.e., listen to history, stories, or science.

With the first grader focus on just the basics of math and reading.

Let the kindergartner do investigative projects with the 1st grader. Have on hand art supplies and expect a huge mess that they pitch in to help clean up.

Try keeping everyone in the same room, but let the 7th grader get a break from the chaos.

Last, maintain the music practice. Make a schedule so that practice is done at the same time everyday. I know this is easier to type than do, but try. Your presence is essential to their progress in music, so if you can, be there and listen.

I think you would benefit from a management plan that included delegating some responsibility so you don't do it all and burnout.

I would agree that two music lessons every day seem like a lot, but music is not a major focus in my homeschool either. You have two older kids, a 10th grader and 7th grader, could they help you one hour each day with one or both of the littles? Possibly being in charge of teaching them a subject like history or science? Depending on your children both the littles and olders might really enjoy it and get a lot out of it. You could time it so you could help each older kid and give them some personal attention durring that hour. I understand that expecing that really depends on your kids and family dynamic, but it might be an idea you hadn't thought of.

I agree with the PP. I think the piano may be slight overkill. Have you considered giving one piano lesson a day, say Monday for the 7th, Tuesday for the 3rd, etc. then just having them practice on their own later in the day? It certainly would free you up to spend more time with them on academics.

OK, I can see I made this about as clear as mud. I'm not working directly (1 on 1 time) with the 3rd OR 7th grader on anything in the morning. I'm with the 1st and K'er for their lessons, and am "available for questions" for the older kids as needed. The lessons they'll need the most help with I've left for after 10:00 when the littles are all done.

I'm having the two youngers stick together because they are doing essentially the same things all morning - Phonics Pathways and Piano - same books, just different places, math and handwriting at the table. In terms of actual work time, my K'er has 45-60 min, 1st has 60-90 min, depending on if it's science day w/3rd. It's rare that they have work until 9:30 unless they want to. I don't keep strictly to the clock, it's more just to help me see what subjects need to be done, and how to coordinate them.

I'm beginning to think it's the "available for questions" part that becomes difficult. If I'm in the middle of a phonics lesson, I have to tell my older ones they'll have to wait a minute or two before I can help them with a question. And then I might forget, or someone falls off the bench and gets a bloody lip, or the 2yo gets upset and starts to wail. Maybe we all just need more time to let things settle in.

I do think it would help to move 3rd and 7th piano practice for later on. Or maybe before breakfast? hahahaha - wouldn't that be cruel?:D

(P.S. Don't worry - 7th grader has finished formal grammar and now does grammar review and vocab. along with her writing/composition - forgot to add those in afternoon studies. We do art on Thurs. after story.)

I think that around 9:30 you should give all the kids a break. Youhave a snack for the youngers. Have the older be in charge of the snack and then give them a 30 minute recess or something to run around or jump or something. The 7th grader can supervise while you regroup.

For the older kids, give them a small notebook to write their questions in so they won't forget. Maybe the 7th grader can help the 3rd grader so you have fewer interruptions.