Menu

Gentle Reminder . . . Don't Put It Off!!!

Hello Hive~

I just wanted to share my misfortune to encourage you not to make the same mistake we did. DH and I have been saying . . . "we really need to back everthing up in case something were to happen" well it did!!! Our hard drive crashed!!!

Thankfully we were able to find someone to recover all our pictures and documents at a reasonable price. Quotes began at $1500.00! :tongue_smilie: It has taken two full weeks and we still aren't completely finished! Also, we had to buy a new computer because it would have been nearly as costly to reinstall all our programs etc.

So, all that to say, DON'T PUT IT OFF . . . back up your computer TODAY!

WOW! I'm so sorry. I wish you lived near me. My dh does exactly what you were quoted an arm and a leg for. And for friends and family, he works for free, unless someone feels deeply compelled to give him a giftcard to a restaurant! :lol:

Excellent reminder!! :grouphug:

Ds14 does it for $50 plus the cost of parts. But yes, I will back things up right now.

I knew that is what you were going to say! We lost everything 3 weeks ago. The only thing I had backed up were my pictures, I backed them up in March. I am still sick about it. We are not getting it back. We still haven't bought anything to back up too, but now we don't have anything to back up. :glare:

I lost everything on the last day of NaNoWriMo a couple years ago. My husband was able to get my stuff for me by mounting the drive on a Linux box, but I am much more diligent about backing up since. I have a access to half a terabyte on another computer on our local network for that purpose. If I weren't such and e-packrat this would be ore than enough. :p As it is, I use it as much for remote storage because I am out of space as for backing up important documents and programs.

I have some further advice. When you buy a computer, do not pay for preloaded software that you do not get the CDs for or a subscription to reinstall. You need to own the license to the software, including the operating system. For your really important data, use storage off your hard drive. I suggest Smugmug for photos and Dropbox for other files. Neither of these are free, but they cost way less than hard drive recovery would cost. Another very simple way to back small things up that does not depend on your hard drive is to use a web-based email system with file storage, and email the files to yourself as attachments. Keep your bookmarks at Google bookmarks instead of on your computer. Keep your "to do lists" etc as Google docs or product wishlists on a commercial site that maintains them.

I have been through several computer failures. Now there is almost nothing important that lives on my hard drive. It's all floating in a cloud and when I move to a new computer, all I need on it to start making it a "home" is a browser. (Of course this doesn't work if the internet is down...but it always comes back up later and the stuff isn't permanently lost).

Also do not depend on thumb drives as storage for important data. They can fail. Sometimes they can be recovered and sometimes not.

It's hard to separate what happened when, but I had to put in both a new hard drive and graphics card. I only lost a day of actual files/emails, but it took me over a week to get everything running the way it was again. The hardware was about $200, but the time involved...arg. It was agony!

Edited by GVA