Menu

Exercise and Hydration

Some of you know that I went into ER this past week for a nasty kidney stone attack. The doctor mentioned that with my newly increased exercise I need to be drinking enough. I'm not sure HOW much I should be drinking.

I was drinking 6-8 glasses of water a day (48-64oz).

I'm exercising for 60 minutes each day and much of that is in weather that is between 85-95 degrees.

How much do you usually drink in a given day with that kind of exercise? Is there a formula to use (weight x whatever)?

I had a kidney stone 20 years ago, so I'm not thinking this is the ONLY cause, but I'm definitely wanting to do whatever I can to avoid another one.

I figure body weight in lbs = number / 2 = minimum number of ounces of water to drink each day *without* figuring in exercise. Soooo, a 150lb adult would need ~75 ounces of water per day (8-9 8oz glasses), then add an additional 8oz of water every 10-15 minutes while exercising (so another 4-6 glasses for your one-hour workout).

You'll read very different numbers depending on your source... But in your case, I'd err on the side of more rather than less. Just be sure to spread out your drinking (don't try to down 32oz at one go, 'cause all you'll do is make yourself ill), so you're constantly rehydrating yourself. Also, if you're working out hard for more than half an hour, do replenish your electrolytes somehow. You could drink a sports drink or eat Sports Beans or just add an electrolyte powder to your water bottle... (I've tried a couple that are okay, but I haven't found the perfect one to recommend yet. The one I like best doesn't have sodium and I *need* sodium in the midst of really demanding workouts, and the one I like okay and that has sodium also has processed stevia, which I'm not thrilled about...)

Yes, there is a formula one can use to calculate fluid intake. Mmm...it's actually what we use to calculate how much fluid a FF should take in during different types of fires. I'll look it up in a second and post it. I'm not sure if it's completely equal to exercising, though.

In addition to upping your water intake you might also consider upping your electrolyte intake (i.e. Gatorade, etc). Water hydrates you, but doesn't replace electrolytes. This especially in high temp/high humidity areas.

I had a kidney stone several months ago and the urologist I saw recommended drinking an ounce of lemon juice in 8-10 oz water every day. We tend to have the bottled lemon juice on hand anyway; so, I use that.

OK found it: Suggested fluid intake -- 12-32 oz during 20 minutes in Rehab. [The FFs get water & Gatorade. Sometimes Gatorade cut 50% w/ water.]

Suggested caloric intake -- Body wt in kg*1.0 = cal/hr. The body typically uses and needs to replace 350 cal for every 30 minutes of physical activity.

The above are NFPA Standards.

Edited by brehon
Found Rehab Formulae

Thanks, ladies. It appears I'm still NOT drinking enough. Holy cow, I might as well just move into the bathroom.

Yes, it's true. You drink one bottle of water only to pee 3 (at least that is what it feels like).

Ditto on drinking water way before you exercise. It does make exercise go so much smoother.

Daisy, sorry you went through all that ... in case you or anyone is interested, here are my tips/rules for drinking water.

Aim to drink half your weight in ounces of water per day - more on hot days and more if you workout intensely.

Here's what I do:

* Start the day with a glass of water.

* Drink 1 glass after each trip to the bathroom. Remember that ideally,

your urine should be clear. It might be yellow, due to vitamins and supplements, but it’s good to aim for clear as opposed to cloudy.

* Drink 1 glass 15 minutes before each meal. I have read repeatedly that it's not good to drink DURING meals. It affects digestion. WW says otherwise, but I disagree. Every single naturopath and homeopath, etc. friend and book – says to try to avoid drinking during meals. I can’t always do this, but I do try. Drinking with meals impedes digestion. Drinking immediately after does the same thing. Ideally, wait 15 minutes after a meal before drinking water.

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/the-harmfulness-of-beverages/harmful-drinking-practices.html

* Drinking 1 glass of water after working out. I rarely drink IMMEDIATELY before my workout. If I have drunk enough throughout the day, I don't need to drink a full glass right before working out. Drinking water right before working out, or even worse, during working out, makes me feel horribly bloated and I can't workout comfortably. I do try to drink water an hour or half hour before working out.

* I stop drinking water about an hour before leaving the house, particularly if I don't want to use the bathrooms where I may be headed, or if there's minimal bathroom access! Public bathrooms here in this part of the world are not good.

* I stop drinking water about 3 hours before bedtime. Who wants to be up all night long?

* I usually drink water as soon as I come home after being out of the house for a while.

* I drink water after a nap.

* I never, ever thought that I would – but I have gotten used to the taste of room-temperature water. Love it. Much, much easier on my system. Now and again, I like ice cold water, but on the whole, give me room temperature any day.

* Eat enough fruits and veggies – most are high in water – think salads, cucumbers, watermelons, etc. Agreeing with another poster here who mentioned coconut water. Love it. :D

Well, I upped my water intake and yesterday I had to have my husband come pick me up half way through my walk because my bladder was going to explode.

Sigh. I have the smallest bladder on the planet earth (verified by a physician). I don't know how to make drinking BEFORE a workout successful. It appears it will derail my workout. LOL. :glare:

Honestly, personal optimal hydration and nutrition during exercise takes some time to figure out. There's no one-size-fits-all guideline. As a triathlete and cyclist, I have a very set plan that I follow when I'm working out, pre and post race, and during long endurance events. If I deviate only a little, it can really throw me off. I'm not sure what type of exercise you're doing, but I'll assume you're running, from what you've posted.

You've gotten lots of good info here, but one thing I'd suggest doing is weighing yourself before and after you exercise to see how much fluid you're actually losing to sweat. There are a whole mess of complex calculations that take into account urine output and things, but basically, each pound you lose during exercise is roughly 16 oz of fluid. You can't replace all of that during exercise, but it'll give you a sense of how much you should be drinking in addition to your regular daily intake. I'm sure your doc already told you to watch your urine output. Pale is good, dark yellow is bad.

I'm a very small person, with a small bladder and VERY efficient kidneys. I know every bathroom stop on the routes of my long runs and rides! There have been times during road races where I've hung out at the rest stop to pee a second time, because I knew I messed up and drank more than I needed. One thing to do is plan your workouts so there are places to stop en route if you need to, at least until you figure out what works for you.

I don't drink a ton before I exercise most mornings. If you're keeping yourself pretty well hydrated the rest of the time, there's no need to drink a ton before you leave. On my long run or brick (bike/run) days, I'll do what the previous poster suggested and drink a bit more before I leave (8-10oz 60-90 minutes before). That gives me time to urinate a few times before I leave the house. During long runs, I take small drinks at a ratio of 5 oz every couple of miles (a sip is 1oz, so frequent sips). For any run longer than about 4 miles, I'll bring water with me (a handheld Nathan bottle for short runs, a hydration belt for long runs).

There are some decent guidelines here, but what works for you is going to take you some time to figure out. :D

Well, I upped my water intake and yesterday I had to have my husband come pick me up half way through my walk because my bladder was going to explode.

Sigh. I have the smallest bladder on the planet earth (verified by a physician). I don't know how to make drinking BEFORE a workout successful. It appears it will derail my workout. LOL. :glare:

Drink more throughout the day, try to avoid drinking right before exercising.

Honestly, personal optimal hydration and nutrition during exercise takes some time to figure out. There's no one-size-fits-all guideline. As a triathlete and cyclist, I have a very set plan that I follow when I'm working out, pre and post race, and during long endurance events. If I deviate only a little, it can really throw me off. I'm not sure what type of exercise you're doing, but I'll assume you're running, from what you've posted.

You've gotten lots of good info here, but one thing I'd suggest doing is weighing yourself before and after you exercise to see how much fluid you're actually losing to sweat. There are a whole mess of complex calculations that take into account urine output and things, but basically, each pound you lose during exercise is roughly 16 oz of fluid. You can't replace all of that during exercise, but it'll give you a sense of how much you should be drinking in addition to your regular daily intake. I'm sure your doc already told you to watch your urine output. Pale is good, dark yellow is bad.

I'm a very small person, with a small bladder and VERY efficient kidneys. I know every bathroom stop on the routes of my long runs and rides! There have been times during road races where I've hung out at the rest stop to pee a second time, because I knew I messed up and drank more than I needed. One thing to do is plan your workouts so there are places to stop en route if you need to, at least until you figure out what works for you.

I don't drink a ton before I exercise most mornings. If you're keeping yourself pretty well hydrated the rest of the time, there's no need to drink a ton before you leave. On my long run or brick (bike/run) days, I'll do what the previous poster suggested and drink a bit more before I leave (8-10oz 60-90 minutes before). That gives me time to urinate a few times before I leave the house. During long runs, I take small drinks at a ratio of 5 oz every couple of miles (a sip is 1oz, so frequent sips). For any run longer than about 4 miles, I'll bring water with me (a handheld Nathan bottle for short runs, a hydration belt for long runs).

There are some decent guidelines here, but what works for you is going to take you some time to figure out. :D

:iagree:

I'm sure there are many reasons for kidney stones, and I don't pretend to know too much about them except what I have learned from my BIL suffering terribly with them in the last year. First of all----I don't think drinking tons of water is really the answer. I definitely have heard about the lemon juice or vinegar in water thing being a really GOOD thing to do to help dissolve the minerals that are collecting in your kidneys. Another thing you might look into is gluten intolerance. It affects LOTS of different functions in the body, messing lots of normal functions up. I highly suspect gluten intolerance in kidney stones not only because dh has Celiac and it's genetic and BIL has many other symptoms of it---but won't test or change his diet--- but also because my dh gets really bad gout attacks when he gets into enough gluten. He starts drinking his tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water 4-6 times a day and is meticulous about keeping gluten away----and he recovers fully!! No medications whatsoever. Kidney stones are an indication that your body's elimination system is gummed up somehow (which I'm sure you know!).

I am in no way an expert; can only tell you about my experience/preference (which is different from most, apparently). I only drink 1-2 glasses of water a day -- max. For the last couple of months, I've been exercising 45-60 minutes a day, 4-6 days a week (power walking at about 4mph) and I didn't increase my water intake when I began doing this. I notice no detrimental effects and actually feel great.