Menu

Old Disney movies

They are working on a Broadway Musical version of Newsies! It has been talked about for a while, but I have heard about it again recently. I really hope it happens. I love that movie (although I don't think of it as an "old" movie because it came out in my lifetime ;)). "Santa Fe" and "Seize the Day" are amazing songs!

Hold the phone there! I am in no way advocating censorhsip. Nowhere did I even suggest that.

Be aware of issues and/or discuss them? You bet.

And yes, I want.

I'd also be careful with the assumption there was always such great writing movie/film writing back then, however. ;) Some of it was quite terrible.

I did not read all of the other posts, but I did see one about racism in older movies - that was the culture of the time. It is not right, but that is history. Why avoid movies with those issues? You will be missing out on some great writing (much better than a lot of the junk that is made now!) You can talk to your kids about the racism if you want.

Edited by LibraryLover

We just got finished watching "Gus" tonight. That was a hilarious show! It is old Disney and stars Tom Bosley, Tim Conway, Ed Asner and Don Knotts.

We borrowed it from a friend and the kids are begging me to buy a copy.

Thanks! I just reserved Gus. I know they haven't seen that one.

A great Disney movie was "Newsies". Fabulous. Musical. Christian Bale. Hardly anyone's heard of it and I can't imagine why.

I love Newsies!

The book was written in the early 1800's, so there is a lot to discuss when we present the work (or the movie) today. Bad guys are never 'like us' and they are often out for 'our' women.

Remember that I am not saying, don't read or watch. I loved SFR as a child, but there are many layers.

But weren't they on an island near Asia? Wouldn't it make sense that the pirates were Asian? Why would they make them Caucasian? There are plenty of "bad" Caucasians in movies. To make a movie PC so it doesn't offend, offends me.

ETA: I forgot to put the movies I like.

Sleeping Beauty! My favorite Disney movie of all time.

The Shaggy Dog

The Shaggy DA

The Sword in the Stone (one of Indy's favorites)

The Aristocats (this is the first movie I ever saw in the theater)

Oliver

The Rescuers

The Great Mouse Detective (James Bond and I watched this on our first date)

The Rocketeer (♥ this movie!!!)

Edited by Mom in High Heels

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin. It's based on Sid Fleischman's book By The Great Horn Spoon. I think it's DD's new favorite movie. We got it on Wednesday, and she's watched it daily since, with another viewing planned for today!

Thanks for this! My husband just finished reading By the Great Horn Spoon with my daughter for bedtime, and I'm on a search for the movie now.

We enjoyed "The Miracle of the White Stallions" about the rescue of the famous Lipizzaner stallions from Austria during WWII.

There is a Disney series that has been re-released on DVD called Swamp Fox. My kids really enjoy that one in addition to:

Davy Crockett and the River Pirates

The Happiest Millionaire

The Ugly Dachshund

The Apple Dumplin' Gang

The Apple Dumplin' Gang Rides Again

Pollyanna

Swiss Family Robinson

Blackbeard's Ghost

I am so glad someone mentioned Gus, I had totally forgotten that one and I know the kids would love it!

These are not Disney, but are very good:

You Can't Take it With You

Bringing Up Baby

Father Goose

Meet Me In St. Louis

Summer Stock

Singing In The Rain

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers

Hold That Ghost

The Quiet Man

Donovan's Reef

McLintock

We have an old Don Knotts movie we love that is absolutely hilarious that not many people know about: Gus

Oooh, yeah, I forgot about Gus! The supermarket scene made me laugh so hard that I cried. Off to place a library hold so we can watch it again...

There is also one with a cat from outer space? I don't remember the name.

It's called "The Cat From Outer Space" :lol: and my daughter loves it!

A great Disney movie was "Newsies". Fabulous. Musical. Christian Bale.

I love Newsies!

And am I the only one who didn't realize Disney is remaking Swiss Family Robinson? With Will Smith and family!

Definitely The Happiest Millionaire and Snowball Express (even my husband likes that one) and Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

And no one's mentioned Condorman -- with Michael Crawford. We watched it again recently and the acting is pretty.....not particularly good. But there are some wonderful chase scenes which my boys really loved when they were little -- they still occasionally mention the bad guys in the black Porsches. Sheer escapism, but that's not always a bad thing, right?