Menu

Panic Mode

Myra

A friend just dropped this bombshell on me.....she said that homeschooling students (esp in NY) can't receive federal grants/loans and state grants/loans (or even any financial aid) without a high school diploma or a GED.

Is this true? My son will be a senior next year and we are planning on getting a superintendent's high school eqivalency paper so he can attend a NY state school. He is also applying to Unniv of VT and Unniv of NH.

Where can I go to find the definitive answer - no second guessing!??

Help!

Myra

I can say in PA it isn't true. My oldest qualifies for federal and state grants. For the state grant we need a piece of paper our school sends us every year stating he had successfully completed his schooling (meaning those who skip their senior year evaluations and portfolios would give this up), but the federal grant/loans did not require even that. They just required a request from the college he attends and was based off our FAFSA.

We just moved to NY. I've spoken to a couple private colleges about this. I've been told that homeschoolers can NOT get NY state aid (need based) without a diploma/GED or the superintendent's letter. They can get federal grants/loans.

I think the terms to research here are ATB (ability to benefit) and TAP (not sure what it stands for, but remember that being mentioned.) HTH

The "superintendent's letter" sounds just like what we need for PA. Here, it's easy to get as long as you've been following the homeschool laws up to and including senior year. Our school sends them out to us each year. Those who miss out will be those who opt to not do an evaluation and turn in a portfolio that last year.

But that's PA.

she said that homeschooling students (esp in NY) can't receive federal grants/loans and state grants/loans (or even any financial aid) without a high school diploma or a GED.

Not true. Students whose parents complete the FAFSA can get federal grants and loans. It doesn't matter if they are hsed or not, and they don't need to take the GED because they will have a high school diploma issued by whatever method each state allows.

States have differing policies on what they require for a student to get state grants, and I am not in NY, so I don't know about that.

if you have a cooperative district, is the letter from the superintendent. It helps to point out the verbiage from the regs that shows they aren't actually attesting to the quality of your child's education, just to the fact that you have completed all the paperwork as required by the state. Our second choice would have been the 24 credits option, had we needed it.

By the way, this requirement only applies to public schools in NY, and some of the SUNYs and CUNYs are more open-minded than others. My son was accepted to SUNY Geneseo, and his financial aid package was packed with federal loans -- and no-one had questioned his obviously homemade transcript, with all but 3 "mommy grades", or asked us how we were going to prove his "ability to benefit." It never got to that point because he chose an out of state school, but given my on-going communication with the school, I don't think there would have been any problem.

Peace,

Maura

For what it's worth, the college (it varies by college, and I don't know WHICH ny state college you mean) will usually accept Accuplacer/Compass/whatever they use for placement scores as ATB. So as long as he places into college-level work, he should be okay on that.

A friend just dropped this bombshell on me.....she said that homeschooling students (esp in NY) can't receive federal grants/loans and state grants/loans (or even any financial aid) without a high school diploma or a GED.

Is this true? My son will be a senior next year and we are planning on getting a superintendent's high school eqivalency paper so he can attend a NY state school. He is also applying to Unniv of VT and Unniv of NH.

Where can I go to find the definitive answer - no second guessing!??

Help!

Myra

Not true for service academies. Also not true for Va Tech or Seattle Pacific University (where I have young family friends attending).