Menu

Where would you go?

Hi everyone! I'm new to posting around here. I've "met" some of you through the pinterest thread. I have a question for the board because this is such an interesting and intelligent group that you guys may give us some ideas we haven't considered.

My husband, kids, and myself are planning a month-long trip for July 2012. We don't want to spend every night on the road so we are hoping to rent a house for the entire month. Where would you go? We are open to anywhere but it must be affordable. Would we enjoy your area? Perhaps somewhere you would go if given a month? We need to make a decision soon and start looking for rentals since July is such a popular vacation time. We are open to international travel but are concerned about airfare cost. We enjoy both the city and country - are happy hiking or going to museums. We are very flexible and this is making the decision even more difficult!

Thanks in advance for your advice to a board newbie!

Anchorage, AK

We worked there for 1 1/2 years. It is kind of central, from there you can go to Fairbanks, Kenie, Seward, Valdez, you can see Denali. There is a ton of wildlife, you can go fishing, hiking in the mountains, walk up to a glacier.

That would be my choice if I wanted to be in a rental for a month.

Thanks for the responses! Keep 'em coming! :bigear:

Right now we are in Louisiana. I'm not originally from here and don't like the heat but love the food. :drool: I've traveled to every state but Hawaii (parents were big travelers within the states). My husband and I have been to Eastern Europe, Israel, and lived in Central Asia.

We need to stay under $3,000 for rental within the contiguous U.S. and less than that if we have to spend $$ on overseas airfare.

This is a long time dream finally coming together so I appreciate any suggestions you can give us.

Never been there (it's on my list), but maybe somewhere on the east coast? I'd try for a coastal house for the month, as a base for day trips to historical sites (Boston, Philadelphia, etc on the upper coast; DC, Williamsburg, etc for the lower east coast).

But a little flat somewhere in Italy sounds intriguing, too!

One of the most beautiful places that I've been is Kalispell Montana. It's next to Glacier National Park and is surrounded by mountains and lakes. I'm not sure how much a rental is for a month, but if you're into outdoor activities then it's a beautiful place.

If you were coming in the spring or fall, I'd suggest Virginia, but do not come in July. The heat and humidty are probably just as awful here as Louisana in July.

I have always wanted to visit New England - especially Maine. When we were doing our 50 states study a few years ago that is the place I loved the most. I would think it would be relatively inexpensive and the scenery would be awesome. I'd visit Acadia National Park. Of course, I've never been there, but it sure looked beautiful in all the pictures.

I've also thought how fun it would be to visit Prince Edward Island and see the "Green Gables" house and all the lovely scenery there.

If I were traveling in July, I'd definitely want to go further north.

• 11 months later...

I just wanted to update this post. Thank you to those that responded.

We decided to push the trip to the fall of 2013 in order to save enough money for travel in Europe. Now our plan is to visit London, France (seaside town and Paris), and Italy (Rome, Pompeii, ?). We are staying 7-10 days in each location. For lodging, we are using homeexchange.com.

I am open to any suggestions of things to do in our planned locations! :auto:

Vancouver Island is always fun, but I'm not sure about cost over there right now. I'm lucky I just stay with relatives. Jasper is always a great place to go if you enjoy scenery and a little big of hiking. you can check out the glacier park and the hot springs. You can even get a place near the park and just do day visit all through it and the surrounding areas. Watch out for wildlife though. Anchorage Alaska is a good destination point too and very popular. I'm partial to Alberta/B.C. type areas, but hey, I live here so.....

Vancouver Island is always fun, but I'm not sure about cost over there right now. I'm lucky I just stay with relatives. Jasper is always a great place to go if you enjoy scenery and a little big of hiking. you can check out the glacier park and the hot springs. You can even get a place near the park and just do day visit all through it and the surrounding areas. Watch out for wildlife though. Anchorage Alaska is a good destination point too and very popular. I'm partial to Alberta/B.C. type areas, but hey, I live here so.....

Dory,

Thanks for the response! I gave an update to the original post but it's been too long to place the update within the original. See post 10.

We decided to push the trip to the fall of 2013 in order to save enough money for travel in Europe. Now our plan is to visit London, France (seaside town and Paris), and Italy (Rome, Pompeii, ?). We are staying 7-10 days in each location. For lodging, we are using homeexchange.com.

Nice. I am forever browsing homeexchange.com

:001_smile:

I didn't see this before I posted. Sounds wonderful! :001_smile:

It sounds like you have some European cities picked out already, but I wanted to add that we rented an apt. in both Budapest, Hungary and Dubrovnik, Croatia for a month a few summers back. Compared to western European countries, they were very cheap -- the apt., the food, everything. We loved it. Not sure what the weather is like there in the fall. Dubrovnik is right on the coast with a Mediterranean climate, so it might be very warm still. It was really charming. Split, Croatia was very lovely too, and a little easier to get to.

We got a great deal flying over on Hungary's Malev Airlines at the time, although I think they have gone bankrupt!

It sounds like you have some European cities picked out already, but I wanted to add that we rented an apt. in both Budapest, Hungary and Dubrovnik, Croatia for a month a few summers back. Compared to western European countries, they were very cheap -- the apt., the food, everything. We loved it. Not sure what the weather is like there in the fall. Dubrovnik is right on the coast with a Mediterranean climate, so it might be very warm still. It was really charming. Split, Croatia was very lovely too, and a little easier to get to.

We've already arranged home exchanges in London and France. I am now searching for something in Italy. Hopefully, we will find something close to Rome. If that doesn't work out, we are open to other countries.