Menu

Our Childrens Librarian will no longer order non-fiction that is older than 2 years!

:001_huh: ?? I requested a couple of books for the library to buy, one being The Complete Writer by SWB. Since the books I requested are older than two years she said she wouldn't buy them. She said that is her new philosophy! No new non-fiction books that are older than two year! Are you kidding me? How about she stops ordering all these cheap paperback childrens book that are from television series! ie. spongebob, strawberry shortcake, backyardigans,etc! How about less twaddle in the library! Give me a break!

:rant::banghead:

That's insane. I would try to have her fired from her job.

***I came back to edit this, as it is harsher than I wanted to be. I was in the middle of compiling a classical literature book list, and I realize it was only non-fiction, but still... The librarian sounds like it was her final decision, but I'd see what I could do to change the policy.

Edited by Satori

Our library is HORRIBLE! It's a 6 million dollar building (shares with city hall and some police offices)

All that money to build the dang bulding and nothing to fill it.

Lots of vampire and other crappy books, but very few classics. What few that they have on our reading lists are ALWAYS checked out by the homeschoolers. I mean a 9 month + wait. I gave up.

Like you said-- lots of spongebob, hannah montana... junk. (i'm ok with an occasional book of spongebob, but I do not want it to be all they consume! VARIETY! Throw in some more stimulating books too!)

My kids wanted to use the library to research making rockets, how rockets work, etc... We couldn't find any books on it. Finally had to ask the librarian for help and the ONLY book was a toddlers popup book about space. She told the kids to use the Library computers for research. Well-- I CAN DO THAT AT HOME!

We don't go to the library anymore. Shame too- I LOVE libraries, but we don't have the gas money to drive 45 minutes to the next closest library.

And no interlibrary loan here. They're the only library in our city.

Edited by joyfulheart

Now there's an idea! I don't think it would work though! She's been there for many years so I don't think they would listen to a disgruntled patron!

I think she may have a point since sciences and tech change so very quickly. But I think she is taking it to an extreme.

You have a point but the books I requested were parenting books, and a homeschool book (The Complete Writer by SWB).

And no interlibrary loan here. They're the only library in our city.

ILL is usually to get books outside of your library system. For example, I live in Phoenix and tend to use one particular branch. I can, however, return and check out books from any branch. Getting a book from the Cholla branch delivered to the Ironwood branch isn't considered ILL, it's just putting a hold (this was a lesson I had to learn when I first moved to the Big City).

ILL is used to get books from other cities. I got a copy of a book from a Tucson library that Phoenix didn't own. Sometimes there are costs associated with that because of the shipping involved. ILL is also used for research articles - you can get things from medical or legal libraries that way.

Now there's an idea! I don't think it would work though! She's been there for many years so I don't think they would listen to a disgruntled patron!

You have a point but the books I requested were parenting books, and a homeschool book (The Complete Writer by SWB).

Honestly asking (I got my rear shreaded because I asked a question earlier so please realize that I am honestly curious) why aren't these books in the adlut section instead of the children's? I would think they would be found in the 300s.

Um, that might be a slight overreaction. It's unlikely (not impossible, but certainly improbable) that this was a decision made solely by her without any input from anyone else. There is usually a library board and committee that makes these policies.

I would suggest asking for the library director and/or putting your reasons against this policy in writing and submitting it to the library board. I agree with you that this is a bad policy and think that if you go about it in the right way, you might be able to change it.

Honestly asking (I got my rear shreaded because I asked a question earlier so please realize that I am honestly curious) why aren't these books in the adlut section instead of the children's? I would think they would be found in the 300s.

No rear shreading here! ;) These books are listed under 300s but for whatever reason at this library they are on the children's floor in the parent/teacher section. All parenting and teacher books are on the children's floor. Don't know why, just the way it is at this library

My library has a parent/teacher section on the children's library as well. I think it is nice because when I go with my kids to the library, my son can play with the blocks and toys while I look at a book for homeschooling. :) There is a limited selection of books in the adult section in the 300s though. Much older stuff though. I would def. write a letter to the library director.

As a rep for Usborne, I met with a librarian who had the same requirements. Think about it, a book on Ancient Greece published 3 years ago would not be ordered......We all know how out of date that could be by now. Sheesh. Sad thing is this woman was the director of the whole library system in the county, not just the children's librarian for a branch.

:001_huh: ?? I requested a couple of books for the library to buy, one being The Complete Writer by SWB. Since the books I requested are older than two years she said she wouldn't buy them. She said that is her new philosophy! No new non-fiction books that are older than two year! Are you kidding me? How about she stops ordering all these cheap paperback childrens book that are from television series! ie. spongebob, strawberry shortcake, backyardigans,etc! How about less twaddle in the library! Give me a break!

:rant::banghead:

Our system won't order books for purchase either. BUT they will order it for loan from another system. Will yours do that?

We have a lot of leeway in our children's department. Three of us compile the order lists, and while our children's librarian makes the final decision, I don't think she's ever not ordered something that we've submitted. (Oh, it's not nearly as formal as it sounds, lol.)

Because of budget cuts, however, our adult section is cutting back on ordering new non-fiction. I don't recall the exact new policy with regard to new NF, but any patron requests for fiction are honored, and any patron requests for older non-fiction will be obtained via ILL.

It's unlikely (not impossible' date=' but certainly improbable) that this was a decision made solely by her without any input from anyone else. There is usually a library board and committee that makes these policies.

I would suggest asking for the library director and/or putting your reasons against this policy in writing and submitting it to the library board. I agree with you that this is a bad policy and think that if you go about it in the right way, you might be able to change it.[/quote']

Our children's librarian has sole discretion as to what is added to our collection. Our library director is in charge of the budget, and I don't believe our new policy re adult NF was the result of any board input.

I definitely agree with your suggestion to put your request in writing to the director (in letter form, not via a regular request form), and if it's denied, continue to pursue the matter.

A local public school librarian told me that our district's policy is that the ENTIRE collection in any given school must have an average age of less than 10 years. She was bemoaning the fact that she needed to either discard some copies of Dr. Seuss (which were among the oldest copyrights) or somehow find a bunch of cheap new books to purchase to balance them out. She said she didn't have the budget to go for quality. :(