Menu

My dd is 14, will be 15 in Nov. so it seems this NEEDS to be her 9th grade year. However, due to my chronic illness, she is a solid 6-7th grader.

How would you proceed? I was thinking I would have one more year but the light bulb went on the other day that THIS is the year she should be 9th.

All help, ideas, suggestions needed, curriculum and otherwise.

Thanks

I wouldn't consider her going into 9th. It won't make any difference if she's 19, or even 20, when she graduates high school. Work with her where she's at and keep making progress.

Could you list what she's used this past year or two so you can get better suggestions on curricula?

Also, are you looking for secular or religious?

Edited by Teachin'Mine

This year she has done Saxon 5/4 but the placement test shows her ready for 7/6.

We have done Rod and Staff Grammar 6

She did reading on Colonial History.

She has done reading about weather , animal care and is currently raising a praying mantis and learning about it.

I feel so guilty about all of this.

I am having a similar issue with my 13 year old dd. I decided to continue 7 th grade...and try to bring her up to grade level by 9 th grade.

If I rush her, it will be a losing situation....I always try to meet my kids where they are, and then bring them along to where I want them to be. I keep the objectives in mind, but try to remain flexible yet focused.

Faithe

Curriculum suggestions?

How will it look on her transcript if she is 20 when graduating? Will that make it more difficult for her to get scholarships etc?

I know I can't and don't want to push her too hard and too fast, I want her to truly learn, but I also don't want her to be penalized.

Sounds a little like my oldest daughter..... we did Saxon 54 and in the middle of it I compared 65 and 76...and jumped her ahead to 76. We've had our moments (she's not strong in math) but she is doing very, very well with it and we are kind of back on track.

You are where you are.... just pick up and start again. I've decided to keep my daughter a year behind, but she is okay with that and we just keep moving on.

Don't let it get you down..... just keep going forward.... you will be surprised with how well she progresses.

:grouphug:

I think I may be in the minority, but one idea would be to just give her 9th grade level stuff and she'll rise to the challenge. The joy of homeschooling is that you can take an extra day or speed ahead as she needs as you fill in gaps and revisit topics that are gone over every year from 4th grade on. The only real issue is math. She may be able to do Lial's BCM in a 1/2-3/4 of a year at her age (people starting with 5th or 6th graders often take a year or longer, but a 15 yr old who is ready, probably can do it much faster). Then move on to Algebra.

When my son was 12, we started a virtual academy. It was the best thing we did (though we couldn't possibly know that life was going to be SO bad that year). Anyway, I had wanted to put him in as a 6th grader with lower level work. I figured, within a year or two, he might be able to catch up to his one-grade-held-back-level with enough support. Well, the VA wouldn't consider it. Because he had never been held back in a school, they wouldn't allow ME to hold him back. He had to go into the grade level based on his age. I gasped. The woman, knowing I was a long term independent homeschooler, pretty much wrote me off at that point thinking I'd be one of "those" who thought she'd do her own thing on the state's dime. I got myself together though and told her I didn't believe that was a deal-breaker, but we were going to need special ed help. Well, THAT isn't that easy to get either (go figure). In fact, you have to do several sets of interventions before you can get "special ed." The interventions were enough for him! He did 7th grade (with PreAlgebra A...so technically a year behind by K12 standards) and he rose to the occasion. He passed state testing on level with no accommodation that year!

Just a thought.

Other ideas:

1) It's okay to be a year behind. Better to graduate late sometimes.

2) It's possible to get more than one grade per year if she still wanted to grad on time but needed to do 7th grade for now

3) Some students do graduate on a lower level than others. Not everyone has all AP classes (or whatever) for years. Some don't even have average classes. Many with high school diplomas have to take remedial classes in college.

4) If she's not ready to jump ahead this year, she may be ready another year.

Edited by 2J5M9K

Curriculum suggestions?

How will it look on her transcript if she is 20 when graduating? Will that make it more difficult for her to get scholarships etc?

I know I can't and don't want to push her too hard and too fast, I want her to truly learn, but I also don't want her to be penalized.

We switched from a traditional style of hsing to Ambleside Online....We all love it and the reading is rigorous and challenging. She's handling it like a champ!

Lial's BCM for math? After that, she may be ready for algebra (just from what I've read in other posts about it).

:iagree:

I'll third Lial's Basic College Math followed by Algebra and on up. School year round, even six days a week if possible, and plan at least an hour per day of focused attention on math, and she will be able to get through everything she needs to in the next four years.

If she has done Rod and Staff Grammar 6, reads well, and can write at least a solid paragraph, then I would go ahead and do high school English, History and foreign language. Science might be a little trickier, because chemistry and physics depend on math, but you could start with Biology and Conceptual Chemistry, in either order and then see where you are at in math for the next two years.

I'll also vote for letting her be a 9th grader. It would be OK to do BCM or Pre-Algebra in 9th, Algebra in 10th, Geometry in 11th, and Algebra 2 in 12th. For science, do a physical science or earth science this year then move on to biology next year then some sort of chemistry afterward. High school level history is like a fresh start, so make a high school plan for history and go for it. Teach composition wherever she is. There is a wide variation in composition skill level anyway. If she is old enough, then she is probably mature enough to handle the work. If there is a gap somewhere, slow down a little and help her. I bet she will be fine!

I"d call her 9th grade, but use whatever materials that will teach her the skills she needs to know, whether they are 3rd grade materials designed for a gifted child, or college level materials designed for remedial students.

You might want to look into American School. They have a solid GENERAL diploma option. A student can start with the required general courses and then decide whether they want to add college prep courses as electives, or enjoy their electives. They also have remedial courses for students that are so far behind that even the easiest general courses are too difficult.

My older son who wasn't interested in academics used the AS general diploma option, took all business courses for his electives and...to be honest...only did a couple hours school work a day, and worked almost full time from 14-16. Then he put himself through junior college with the money he had saved. At barely 19 he took off for Las Vegas. At 24, he's married and owns a home, and manages a retail store that has been in the top 1% for years. He used this year's bonus to buy furniture for his new home :-)

AS and junior college don't sound as exciting as other options, but they are a steady and certain way to self-sufficiency.

I'm sorry you are ill. I was chronically ill while homeschooling my boys, as well as being in an abusive marriage. I couldn't do all I wanted to do for them...but...I did my best, and our best is ALWAYS good enough!

Even if you consider her 8th grade this coming year, she will only be 19 when graduating. That is not at all outside the norm.

Don't beat yourself up for where she's at. We can only do the best we can and it sounds like you've had difficult circumstances. Personally, I'd take this next year to bring her up to speed in the different areas. I'd start with the Saxon 7/6, but if she's able to, I'd suggest she do two lessons a day until she starts hitting new material as some of it will be review. I'd think about doing math year round for now until she catches up a bit. Even if you do one book a year and she doesn't get to 8/7 until 9th, that would still give her algebra 1 in 10th, algebra 2 in 11th, and Advanced Math in 12th. Since geometry is incorporated into the other texts, that will put her ending with a solid pre-calculus text.

For science, it's really not so difficult to just jump in. Her level of math may make some aspects of a physical science course challenging - scientific notation and converting units come to mind - but she should be just fine with the rest and can go back over that when she's up to that level in math. Then in 9th she could do biology as there's no math pre-requisite. For chemistry and the others, her math should be just fine then. There's so many different science programs to choose from. We use and like Apologia as the text "speaks" to the student and the labs are easily done at home. If you can, go to a curriculum fair and take a look at the different books with your daughter so you can choose.

History is another subject which really isn't dependent on anything done before. Just start in with whatever you like. The key for this year, for me, would be to get her used to a more challenging work load and to increase the amount of reading, studying and writing - all skills she'll need for high school level work. For English, make sure she learns paragraph writing and five paragraph essay writing as well. Find a good vocabulary program and start with where she's at and work at a faster pace if she's behind a bit. I hear lots of good things about R & S, so continue with that.

I'd focus on these main four subject areas for this coming year. In 9th, you'll probably want to add in a foreign language. It's great to start in 8th, but I think the catching up in the other areas is more important.

Of course all of this is just my opinion. If anything would work for you, use it and if not, completely ignore it. Don't worry about where your daughter is at. Being older, she'll probably pick things up more easily and progress quickly. I hope you have a wonderful school year together no matter which grade you call it. :)

I would call this year Jr. High and try to pack it in :). Give her challenging materials. I agree with Lial's for math and call it Pre-Algebra. If you find that is going slowly and she can't make it through in a year, she can always do pre-algebra next year in 9th. I'd get her a challenging pre-high school science program, probably Physical Science to make sure she is ready for high school science. I'd also work hard on her writing and make sure it is ready for high school level.

If the only thing that is lacking is the math, I'd let her go for it. However, if she hasn't done a solid program of pre-high school level work, I wouldn't throw her in the deep end and make her pay for your health issues. Being 19 at high school graduation is VERY common. Around here, probably a full fourth of the kids are 19 when they graduate. No one will think anything of it. If she really wants to push, I wouldn't stop her, but I wouldn't make it high school unless she is ready.

Two thoughts:

1) I don't intend to be unkind, but if someone can't keep her schooling at a level appropriate for her, I think you have a duty to select an online school, hire a tutor, or send her to a regular school of some sort.

2) I think a normally bright child can likely rise to the challenge of age appropriate materials. Many unschooled kids I know jump into public high school and do very, very well. It's not my style, but it seems to work. So, I'd put her in a pre algebra program, and otherwise select high school materials. The trick will be that she must have a teacher assisting and supervising routinely. If a parent is unable, then you must find someone else.

Third thought: I believe that children need loving, involved, healthy parents more than they need to be home schooled. If putting her in school allows you to take care of yourself, that is what you should do.

I would call this year Jr. High and try to pack it in :). Give her challenging materials. I agree with Lial's for math and call it Pre-Algebra. If you find that is going slowly and she can't make it through in a year, she can always do pre-algebra next year in 9th. I'd get her a challenging pre-high school science program, probably Physical Science to make sure she is ready for high school science. I'd also work hard on her writing and make sure it is ready for high school level.

If the only thing that is lacking is the math, I'd let her go for it. However, if she hasn't done a solid program of pre-high school level work, I wouldn't throw her in the deep end and make her pay for your health issues. Being 19 at high school graduation is VERY common. Around here, probably a full fourth of the kids are 19 when they graduate. No one will think anything of it. If she really wants to push, I wouldn't stop her, but I wouldn't make it high school unless she is ready.

:iagree:

waiting another year before high school will also give your dd time to catch up before taking the PSAT as a junior and her SAT/ACT, and prepare for dual credit courses....should you choose this route.

My son repeated 9th grade because he became very ill in the middle of the year. Once I looked at the reality of his having done so little work before he was diagnosed and how very distracted we were the first months after we decided that repeating a year was the best solution even though I hated the thought. He graduated high school at 19, and so far his age hasn't been a problem. I think having an extra year to mature helped ease the transition to college.

Dealing with chronic illness can be discouraging, and so I liked scheduling regular discussion times just to help keep his academics and both our emotions on track. I believe in lots of discussion time in any case, but for us it was especially important. :grouphug: