Menu

Has anyone read Skinny B____?

Rhymes with itch? Just curious. I did on the recommendation of one of my favorite B&N employees. I also failed to read any reviews whatsoever prior to reading it. I *always* read reviews, so I'm not really sure what my problem was that day. Anyway... because I really did not know what was lurking between the covers ... I am now vegan. I believe it will improve my health, and, in fact, it already has. I'm very careful to be sure that I'm not deficient in anything. But none of that is my point. My point is....I am now a vegan because I am physically incapable of any other choice after reading this book. (Dramatic, you say? My drama queen dd comes by it honestly.) In spite of the drama...it's still true.

If you haven't read it, be forewarned. It may have a similar effect on you. Then again, it may be that I am just the weird exception. I still haven't read any reviews...primarily because there doesn't seem to be much point now. :tongue_smilie:

I know that this probably reads as if I'm upset, but that's just because you can't "hear" me. I'm actually ok with the outcome, but wondered if anyone else was similarly affected? Any other thoughts about the book? I'm purposely withholding my opinion about the rest of the book's content to see what others thought.

Thanks!

Lisa

I picked it up because I wanted to lose weight and the title caught my attention. I hadn't read any reviews on it either. As I read it I kept telling myself that I would try some of the suggestions, but I would not become a vegan. Well- like you…I became a vegan. (or flexitarian...I do occasionally eat fish or chicken- rarely though) I wouldn't say that I am incapable of eating any other way now, but the book did help me get my head out of the sand as to all the garbage that I was putting into my body. I liked it's "in your face" approach- it was just what i needed at the time. I need to reread it because I have been slipping back into bad habits. I got the follow-up book Skinny B______ in the Kitch for my birthday. It doesn’t have a ton of great original recipes, but it offers easy ideas and menus.

Thanks for bringing the book up. I will be reading it again tonight! Got to get back on track:D.

I haven't read it, but my friend received a copy as a "gift."

She didn't care for it and we discussed some of the ideas it presents. I didn't hear anything that would convince me. I suppose that if your only choice is to eat factory farmed, mass produced meat and dairy, the book's angle might suit you.

I agree with Jenny. People have been eating meat and meat products throughout history, and they were never considered "bad." I think that our modern practice of meddling with food is what has made it "bad."

I read it and while I agreed with most of the premise, I too found it a bit too "cheeky" for my tastes. I'm more influenced by Dr Weil and if I hadn't read his books first this book may have made a bigger impression on me. I do think vegan is probably the way to go, but since my boys are devoted carnivores I serve meat every night (though I tend to just eat the veggies and sides). I do buy only free range and locally produced meat, though. I get points for that right??

Margaret

The book authors also lean heavily to veganism because of how the animals are treated, which is not an issue for the Eskimos and others. Most of the time meat eaters were at least repsectful of what they caught, and it certainly wasn't full of antibiotics and hormones, and lived a free range, grazing lifestyle.

~Lisa

I find the language unnecessary, but I can overlook it. I also read some of the books listed as resources, and they were good, too. I think it's a good starter book though, for people who never tend to think of these things on their own. I understand they are targeting a specific audience, and they probably do a good job at reaching them. People do seem to cuss like sailors nowadays!

I was already vegan, but tried some of their recipes. Their chocolate cake and fudgy icing are out of this world better than any other cake I have ever eaten. But, I substituted 100% whole wheat pastry flour and it worked fine.

I find they use to much salt.

~Lisa

The book authors also lean heavily to veganism because of how the animals are treated, which is not an issue for the Eskimos and others. Most of the time meat eaters were at least repsectful of what they caught, and it certainly wasn't full of antibiotics and hormones, and lived a free range, grazing lifestyle.

~Lisa

Then many in the Vegan community need to be more honest and say the diet is for political reasons and not health. No where on Earth, has there been a indigenous society of Vegans. All humans have always eaten meat (not large amounts, I agree we over kill). I think far more could be done to help fight animal cruelty than saying one needs to stop eating meat in order to do so. That kinda kills the message. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't read it, but I doubt it would make me a full-time vegan. I was a vegetarian for many years and a vegan some of those, and I really doubt that I'll ever go back to being dogmatically either one. That said, I've considered getting the cookbook because we (dh and I) do eat a mostly vegan diet and I do think a *mostly* vegan diet is extremely healthy. (I have yet to see credible evidence that there's a health advantage to all vegan over mostly vegan -- and there's some evidence to the contrary.) Anyway, I can't imagine that the book would change my opinion on this matter -- but I've heard positive comments on their recipes, so I've been meaning to take a look.

And it's 6 o'clock, so I should probably go make our broccoli slaw for dinner, huh? ;)

Yes, the book does have language and a certain 'tone.' I don't necessarily condone it, but it didn't bother me. For our family and budget, buying 'clean' meat isn't do-able and, after reading the book, the mass-market meat isn't something that I can eat. I'm not saying that in a judgmental tone at all.

I don't think eating meat is "bad." I agree that people have been doing so for a very long time. It's just that the meat was *better* then, kwim? No antibiotics, hormones, living conditions that encourage disease, etc. There are just a lot more things to consider now. I'm not sure how to really explain it...I'm just vegan now because I can't afford the 'good stuff' (meat-wise) and, for me, there's not a viable meat-related option.

If I had access to affordable meat that is what I consider to be 'clean,' I have no doubt that I would eat it upon occasion. If I sounded self-righteous or judgmental, I apologize. I didn't intend to. I only meant to try to describe my reaction and hear about others'. No offense intended. :)

Lisa

Haven't read the book, but am currently reading Weston A. Price's book (Nutrition and Physical Degeneration after having checked Nourishing Traditions out from the library. As a result, I'm striving to incorporate more animal fats from healthy animals. :D

(Switched to local raw unhomogenized milk from grass-fed cows, ordered some local grass-fed beef and lamb, and am getting chickens next month!)

I'm also currently reading Pastured Poultry Profits by Joel Salatin. Just the first chapter has totally turned my stomach against chicken. Even the stuff that's raised well isn't processed in a way that is healthy (for the chickens or us!) So, ugh. I've tried looking for a source of local pastured poultry (processed on-site) and the only one I've found so far charges far beyond what I can afford, given my increased milk spending. :glare:

I find the state of food production in this country depressing. The more I learn, the more depressing it is. (A recent example: I have a friend from the UK who can't eat American wheat...causes horrible GI problems. She said that she can eat the wheat in the UK, but that the wheat here is hybridized. She can eat spelt.) I'd love to get to the point where I can somehow produce most of my family's food myself.

So...I can understand dropping the meat if no good sources are available.:)

Kelsy

Haven't read the book, but am currently reading Weston A. Price's book (Nutrition and Physical Degeneration after having checked Nourishing Traditions out from the library. As a result, I'm striving to incorporate more animal fats from healthy animals. :D

(Switched to local raw unhomogenized milk from grass-fed cows, ordered some local grass-fed beef and lamb, and am getting chickens next month!)

I'm also currently reading Pastured Poultry Profits by Joel Salatin. Just the first chapter has totally turned my stomach against chicken. Even the stuff that's raised well isn't processed in a way that is healthy (for the chickens or us!) So, ugh. I've tried looking for a source of local pastured poultry (processed on-site) and the only one I've found so far charges far beyond what I can afford, given my increased milk spending. :glare:

I find the state of food production in this country depressing. The more I learn, the more depressing it is. (A recent example: I have a friend from the UK who can't eat American wheat...causes horrible GI problems. She said that she can eat the wheat in the UK, but that the wheat here is hybridized. She can eat spelt.) I'd love to get to the point where I can somehow produce most of my family's food myself.

So...I can understand dropping the meat if no good sources are available.:)

Kelsy

Right. That's exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it so much better than I. :) I don't think that milk or meat from healthy sources are unhealthy. I've read Nourishing Traditions too, and although I don't agree with everything, I do think many of the principles make sense. Wholesome unadulterated milk and meat are healthful foods (but I especially like the recipes for ferments in NT). You're correct, chicken is really not processed well. I wasn't aware of wheat differences between the UK and the US.

At any rate, thanks for understanding my jumbled mess of an explanation. :)

Lisa

Right. That's exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it so much better than I. :) I don't think that milk or meat from healthy sources are unhealthy. I've read Nourishing Traditions too, and although I don't agree with everything, I do think many of the principles make sense. Wholesome unadulterated milk and meat are healthful foods (but I especially like the recipes for ferments in NT). You're correct, chicken is really not processed well. I wasn't aware of wheat differences between the UK and the US.

At any rate, thanks for understanding my jumbled mess of an explanation. :)

Lisa

Yes, that's basically what I was trying to say too. Lisa, I totally understand choosing to avoid foods for the reasons you stated. I didn't think that you sounded self righteous or judgmental. I just felt badly for you because I enjoy meat and I'd hate to stop having it! :)

That was indeed an interesting bit of info about the wheat. I had no idea.

Yes, that's basically what I was trying to say too. Lisa, I totally understand choosing to avoid foods for the reasons you stated. I didn't think that you sounded self righteous or judgmental. I just felt badly for you because I enjoy meat and I'd hate to stop having it! :)

That was indeed an interesting bit of info about the wheat. I had no idea.

Awww...sweet of you to feel badly for me, but this is one body who could use the removal of a food group for a while -- hopefully, a side benefit will be that a few pounds vanish (although I'm not getting my hopes up). Who knows? Maybe our budget will change, perhaps dh will decide to raise our own meat (not at all likely, but one never knows), or maybe this is just where I should be for a season. I'm considering it a form of fasting -- in the sense that it's developing my self-control which is something that certainly *needs* developing in my case. :D

Perhaps every now & then you can let me know about a particularly tasty dish, and I can live vicariously. :lol:

Lisa

I do have access to great meat (my sister and her hubby raise light grain and grass-fed black angus with no drugs or hormones). My husband also hunts deer so we have tons of that. We have a good free-range chicken source from a guy who processes it himself. We have our own chickens, and we often have fresh goats' milk (we used to have our own goats for milk). If we don't have fresh milk, we have a local dairy that does light pasteurization and doesn't homogenize.

With all of that in mind, I feel that the animal items we consume are VERY healthy alternatives. However, I RARELY eat meat now. I do not think we are necessarily designed to process the amounts of meat that most people consume. I eat it occasionally, but it usually makes me feel sluggish.

I think God did give us animals to eat - it is mentioned all over the Bible, so I have no "issues" with eating it. However, I think our greedy, money-hungry society is abusive and cruel to animals and I cannot support that.

I do have access to great meat (my sister and her hubby raise light grain and grass-fed black angus with no drugs or hormones). My husband also hunts deer so we have tons of that. We have a good free-range chicken source from a guy who processes it himself. We have our own chickens, and we often have fresh goats' milk (we used to have our own goats for milk). If we don't have fresh milk, we have a local dairy that does light pasteurization and doesn't homogenize.

With all of that in mind, I feel that the animal items we consume are VERY healthy alternatives. However, I RARELY eat meat now. I do not think we are necessarily designed to process the amounts of meat that most people consume. I eat it occasionally, but it usually makes me feel sluggish.

I think God did give us animals to eat - it is mentioned all over the Bible, so I have no "issues" with eating it. However, I think our greedy, money-hungry society is abusive and cruel to animals and I cannot support that.

Very well stated. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Lisa