Menu

Confused about which diet is best.

The thing about the big salads is that they DO replace a meal.

They make you feel full on far fewer calories.

And they are so good for you that there is no diet that restricts them.

I think that having one big salad per day instead of one of the normal three meals is a no brainer if you're trying to lose weight or get more healthy.

It's a no brainer if you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic like the OP is. Someone who has a body which is not regulating it's blood sugar well (like a pre-diabetic) needs meals at regular times so that you don't become hypoglycemic and "crash". You need to eat a balanced diet with fewer carbs because your body is sensitive to carbohydrates. (By carbs I mean the carbs primarily in grains.)

Jean, you really need to read up on your two issues specifically - you need to understand the mechanics of diabetes so that you don't become diabetic. Even if you lose weight, you can become diabetic if your blood sugars aren't managed. (My dh is a thin diabetic.) Pre-diabetes doesn't just mean that you're too heavy and need to lose weight. It means that your body has already started to lose control of your insulin levels and that physical changes have started. This loss of control and the physical changes to your cells just aren't as bad as those of a full diabetic yet.

You need to understand the macular degeneration better so that you can save your eyesight. (BTW - uncontrolled blood sugars are very bad for the eyes.)

So I have no clue what to do now as far as changing the way I eat. Which diet is right? There was so much conflicting information when I tried searching online that I gave up in confusion.

Thanks if you read this far. :) and if you have any advice about how to change eatiing habits for life and not regain the weight, I would love to hear from you!

Dear Jean,

I feel your pain. As many pps have stated, I believe the very best diet is the one made up of whole, real foods as much as possible. Listen to your body. We once stayed with a lady following an Atkins-type diet. My blood work that furlough was horrible. My father-in-law, however, saw great improvements with reducing (not eliminating) carbs. When I went back to my normal foods (including carbs--we live in Europe, low-carb is not pushed at all (but neither is low-fat or processed-foods), my blood work showed its usual exemplary numbers.

But additionally, I would like to point out that I have had much success establishing better eating habits following NoS principles:

No Snacks

No Sweets

No Seconds

except on Special Days. See more details at http://www.nosdiet.com

There are many advantages to eating three square meals a day.

One: Less "eating opportunities" generally means less eating overall.

Two: You get some of the benefits of small-window fasting (good for insulin levels). Plus a little hunger by the next meal time makes even ordinary, everyday food that much tastier.

Three: With no snacks/seconds, you don't fool yourself regarding how much you are actually eating. I wasn't a snacker, but the tidbits I ate while cooking and cleaning up probably added up to 300-500 calories a day.

Four: With only three meals to worry about, I can usually implement my goal of using my plate as a portion guide: 1/2 for veggies, salad, fruit; 1/4 protein, 1/4 grain.

Five: You might feel more satisfaction eating three "normal" meals daily than the same amount of food broken up into 5-6 meals--I never quite feel satisfied with the small amount "allowed" at any one time on the 5-6 meals-a-day plan.

Six: Eating fruit (or something similiarly healthy but higher carb) as a lone snack has a different effect on your blood sugar than eating the same fruit as a satisfying conclusion to a meal.

Seven: The basic principles are non-intrusive and can be followed anywhere, anytime. I lost (or maintained) while on vacation, while entertaining dozens of guests all summer, while on furlough, through the holiday season (at our house, Nov-Jan includes a minimum of 8 "Special" celebration days.) I've found my NoS habits a livable lifestyle.

I've experienced even more benefits by following NoS principles, but I hope I've given you enough to look into seeing if you might adopt them.

I've been following NoS for three years now, down 45+ pounds, despite my age (50+), height (5'2), and thyroid issues (hypo).

HTH,

I am trying the caveman diet. Basically it says to eat as closely as possible to what people ate in pre-agricultural times. Lean protein. No frying, or butter. Lots of salad and veggies. Snack on fruits and nuts. Lay off the bread and the sugar and the junk food. No dairy (which I avoid because milk and soft cheeses produce too much mucus and I have asthma). The only thing I really miss is the bread, but then again bread makes me bloat so I avoid it diet or no diet. Pretty much a hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

Of course it also says you have to get off your derriere and "move it".

Because I just started I can't report on progress yet. However I saw a friend today after a 2 week break and she remarked that I looked like I lost some weight. :001_smile:

It's a no brainer if you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic like the OP is. Someone who has a body which is not regulating it's blood sugar well (like a pre-diabetic) needs meals at regular times so that you don't become hypoglycemic and "crash". You need to eat a balanced diet with fewer carbs because your body is sensitive to carbohydrates. (By carbs I mean the carbs primarily in grains.)

I just wanted to clarify that I am not pre-diabetic, as far as I know. I had my blood sugar tested two months ago(blood test) and it was fine. I do, however, have a lot of the risk factors for diabetes, which is why I am concerned that if I don't lose weight/change my habits now that I will develope it one day.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not pre-diabetic, as far as I know. I had my blood sugar tested two months ago(blood test) and it was fine. I do, however, have a lot of the risk factors for diabetes, which is why I am concerned that if I don't lose weight/change my habits now that I will develope it one day.

Ah. Just putting this out there. I had my blood sugar tested with blood tests too and was fine - or so I thought. Then I had a super scary spike one day (with symptoms, so we checked it). That made me start to monitor things. I found out that my daily blood sugars were often borderline high for my higher carb meals but not for when I was fasting (like before a blood test) or after a lower carb meal. I was so frustrated at trying to lose weight while all the while those borderline high blood sugars were keeping from doing so. I've been researching a lot in the last couple of days (which is why I've been a squeaky wheel on this thread) and have been shocked to find that even these borderline highs could have bad effects on my body.

The hemoglobin A1C test gives people a better idea of their sugars over the last 3 months (vs. in the days just prior to a test).

I do not have an issue w/ fasting blood sugar or fasting insulin levels. In order to test for insulin resistance, what is usually done is a 2 or 3 hour glucose tolerance test *with* insulin levels. That will often show an abnormal insulin response to the load of glucose. That is different than having a regular GTT without insulin levels drawn. I learned this the hard way after having a reproductive endo write a RX for a GTT w/ insulin levels and having the lab draw only glucose levels. If you are looking for insulin resistance, that isn't enough data. You need both the insulin level and the glucose level (and I had to repeat that lovely test all over again because the lab didn't read the script correctly). Even then, I technically test normal, but because I have PCOS, and because I know I only cycle on low carb an metformin (an insulin sensitizing drug), I know I have IR. My physicians agree. I can also feel how I react to a carb load (I crash and burn about an hour later!).

Even a GTT w/ insulin levels isn't a perfectly sensitive test. The gold standard is a euglycemic clamp test where they monitor insulin levels for 24 hours. THere are folks who don't test positive on a GTT who would test + for IR with a more sensitive test. The euglycemic clamp test is rarely done outside of a research setting though because it takes so long and is a more complex test by far.

Just tossing out there that fasting insulin and fasting glucose levels are usually not enough info to detect IR in most people.

Edited by Momof3littles

I want to thank everyone again. I appreciate everyone's replies!

My plan is to eat lower carb, but not very low Atkins. I do enjoy salads and had a big one for lunch today with walnuts, chick peas and olive oil/vinegar dressing. I am planning on a piece of chicken breast for dinner with steamed veggies. I also have some plain yogurt and blueberries if I want something sweet later. Does this day of eating look healthy? Oh, and I had scrambled eggs for breakfast (2 whites and 1 whole egg)

I also wanted to thank those who mentioned the no S diet. Dh and I discussed this last night and we do like the idea behind it. I need to see how eating a lower carb menu around the no S plan would work.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I recently completed the weight loss phase of the Medifast plan and lost 63 lbs in six months, feeling great the whole time (save weeks one and two...very hard!). I'm now into the maintenance phase and keeping the weight off well.

MF is a low carb and low calorie diet that has been studied at Johns Hopkins over two decades and been proven safe and effective for fast, healthy weight loss. It used to be prescription only but now is available online. I'm sure I sound like sell the stuff but I don't...I just used it and it changed my life. It was easy to follow, using five easy meal replacements a day and one "lean and green" meal that you cook yourself. Since I homeschool special needs kids, it was a perfect solution for me. No mess, no fuss, still learning to cook healthy with the evening meal and had good energy levels. Got my health back fast, was able to regulate my insulin resistance easily, not too hungry and able to get back to exercise quickly. They have great online support, but one word of caution...if you use itt, be sure to follow the program 100 percent of the way. You have to stay in a state of very mild dietary ketosis for this plan to work it's magic (very mild...not as difficult as Atkins in my experience) and the best way to do this is to follow the plan as written. Not all members encourage this, but they should!

I transitioned from MF into a Paleo diet after I hit goal and have found it easy as well, with much the same results. Good energy levels, weight maintained if I watch portion size, insulin resistance good and family is eating healthier! I highly recommend MF for the weight loss and transition stages, then Paleo for maintenance. I'm no expert, but has worked great for me!!

HTH.

Edited by Twinmom

Ah. Just putting this out there. I had my blood sugar tested with blood tests too and was fine - or so I thought. Then I had a super scary spike one day (with symptoms, so we checked it). That made me start to monitor things. I found out that my daily blood sugars were often borderline high for my higher carb meals but not for when I was fasting (like before a blood test) or after a lower carb meal. I was so frustrated at trying to lose weight while all the while those borderline high blood sugars were keeping from doing so. I've been researching a lot in the last couple of days (which is why I've been a squeaky wheel on this thread) and have been shocked to find that even these borderline highs could have bad effects on my body.

The hemoglobin A1C test gives people a better idea of their sugars over the last 3 months (vs. in the days just prior to a test).

I do not have an issue w/ fasting blood sugar or fasting insulin levels. In order to test for insulin resistance, what is usually done is a 2 or 3 hour glucose tolerance test *with* insulin levels. That will often show an abnormal insulin response to the load of glucose. That is different than having a regular GTT without insulin levels drawn. I learned this the hard way after having a reproductive endo write a RX for a GTT w/ insulin levels and having the lab draw only glucose levels. If you are looking for insulin resistance, that isn't enough data. You need both the insulin level and the glucose level (and I had to repeat that lovely test all over again because the lab didn't read the script correctly). Even then, I technically test normal, but because I have PCOS, and because I know I only cycle on low carb an metformin (an insulin sensitizing drug), I know I have IR. My physicians agree. I can also feel how I react to a carb load (I crash and burn about an hour later!).

Even a GTT w/ insulin levels isn't a perfectly sensitive test. The gold standard is a euglycemic clamp test where they monitor insulin levels for 24 hours. THere are folks who don't test positive on a GTT who would test + for IR with a more sensitive test. The euglycemic clamp test is rarely done outside of a research setting though because it takes so long and is a more complex test by far.

Just tossing out there that fasting insulin and fasting glucose levels are usually not enough info to detect IR in most people.

Thank you, both. I just assumed a blood test would be enough. Good information to have.

:lol: I saw your thread about Sam's, BJ's, or Costco, and I'll also give a huge thumbs up for Costco! I buy all of those awesome salad ingredients there. Every other week, I buy a huge box of Earthbound Farms organic mixed green salad ($5 here, makes several meals for both DH and me), a package of their yummy goat cheese (which they just started selling in a two-pack of smaller logs, hooray!), a big wedge of Finlandia Swiss cheese, a bag of avocados, a bag of red peppers, Dietz & Watson natural deli ham, bags of pecans, etc.

So now YOU can make yummy salads too :D It really is so easy. If I didn't get that big box, I wouldn't eat as much as I do--I'm terrible at washing and prepping lettuce!

Definitely go with Costco...

Fun post connection! Costco it is!