Menu

Twaddle free audio books for K - 3rd grades?

talk2ham.1

I want to get audio books for keeping my can't-read-yet little K-level and younger boys occupied with something more wholesome than TV while I steal a few moments a day to get some uninterrupted work done around the house. They LOOOOOOVE audio books. But I'm not interested in putting $$ out for books that are politically driven, philosophically screwy, or otherwise just brainless listening. I would love to hear your suggestions for twaddle free, wholesome audio book lists.

Secondly, if you know of a good source for finding the audio books at a good price, I'd be all ears.

And finally, I know there are some good children's radio series available online too. I'm interested in sites that put those out as well. TIA!!!

I don't know if you're familiar with this site but it has some of the books listed on the amblesideonline and oldfashionededucation sites as audiobooks for free!

http://librivox.org/

We downloaded The Burgess Animal Book and The Burgess Bird Book and my middle son loved both of them. Most of the books are old school stuff that volunteers have read. I believe they are all public domain books if that tells you how old they are.

We all enjoy Jim Weiss' CDs, but some people don't like his voice. I haven't found an objectionable one yet, and those are ones I'll actually purchase unheard.

My newly 5-year-old just received a Paddington Bear audiobook for her birthday, and it's in heavy rotation for her. She also loves the Frog and Toad CD read by Arnold Lobel and the Francis collection (though I personally find the reader's voice very grating and annoying on that one :glare:). I think owning the Winnie-the-Pooh collection is totally worthwhile, and I love listening to it with the accents. :D But that's less popular with my girls, for some reason.

We have thoroughly enjoyed the Harper Children's Audio editions of the Chronicles of Narnia--fantastic narration. I also really like listening to others read E. Nesbit, and even my then-4-year-old loved both The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It.

HTH a bit!

Books by E B White - Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan. My son also loved the Ramona and Henry series by Beverly Clearly. Another great audio series is the Little House books. My son especially liked Farmer Boy. He does like to listen to twaddle, too, especially The Boxcar Children and The Magic Tree House series.

Another big hit in our house is the Redwall series, but I'm not sure they'd be appropriate for all kiddos (scary battles, etc) and you'd probably need to wait until your kids are a little bit older.

If you're interested in a recommendation of where to purchase, I use Audible to download audiobooks. We have a membership and get a discount on all the books. It's much nicer to have the books in my iPod rather than keeping track of multiple cds from the library.

Check your library website. Ours has audiobooks to "borrow", but once they're on the mp3 player, they don't expire. We have Paddington, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Complete Takes of Beatrix Potter, Charlotte's Web, Arnold Lobel stories, and many others. It's worth a look.

We also have a bunch downloaded from librivox.org

I have no idea what your philosophical or political leanings are, but I think you'll find some good ideas listed here:

http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Recordings_of_Books_on_the_Ambleside_List

and

http://librivox.org/my-fathers-dragon-by-ruth-stiles-gannett/

My library also has many CDs from Rabbit Ears productions, with tales from around the world including American tall tales and Johnny Appleseed. These are very well done.

Edited by stripe

I rarely buy audiobooks because our library has an extensive collection, and I frequently download from librivox.org. We just recently listened to the Jungle Book from that website. Also, Chronicles of Narnia read by Dr. Hart is free here.

Librivox.org may be difficult to navigate since it doesn't seem to separate their books by genre (I think), so this place has sorted some of them under different categories.

Edited by crazyforlatin

Books by E B White - Charlotte's Web, The Trumpet of the Swan. My son also loved the Ramona and Henry series by Beverly Clearly. Another great audio series is the Little House books. My son especially liked Farmer Boy. He does like to listen to twaddle, too, especially The Boxcar Children and The Magic Tree House series.

Another big hit in our house is the Redwall series, but I'm not sure they'd be appropriate for all kiddos (scary battles, etc) and you'd probably need to wait until your kids are a little bit older.

If you're interested in a recommendation of where to purchase, I use Audible to download audiobooks. We have a membership and get a discount on all the books. It's much nicer to have the books in my iPod rather than keeping track of multiple cds from the library.

Do you really consider Boxcar Children books twaddle? I really love those books. There is a lot of great nature study in them as well. I don't think they are twaddle, but maybe that is just my personal preference!

My kids love audio stories too.

I'll link in the free sites we use the most though most have been mentioned.

LibriVox The quality of the readings will vary. You'll find great literature though. Search under Children's or Children's Stories.

StoryNory Check out the Fairytales, Classic, Educational, and Junior sections for good quality literature. They are read well. My son began reading with a slight British accent though after listening a lot to her read!

KiddieRecordsWeekly This one has some really good recordings. I don't know if you might consider them twaddle-ish but they are far better than tv or videos! You may want to pre-select. These are shorter generally which was nice especially when my kids were younger. They are from old children's records based on books of course so really enjoyable recordings generally.

If you google you'll find lots of free audio stories online. I found some are better recorded than others. But the three above are the sites we revisit often.

Also check your library system. Using interlibrary loan we enjoy all kinds of great audio books. Our favorites are anything by E.B. White (The Trumpet of the Swan and Charlotte's Web particularly) , Rohl Dahl (James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), Chronicles of Narnia, Beverly Cleary (The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Ribsy), and The Railway Children.

Edited by sbgrace