Menu

2nd grade - will you take a look, please?

Spryte

Planning second grade right now, and could use another set of eyes. Am I missing anything major here? Our lives are suddenly much busier than last year, so I have cut out some teacher intensive programs and some redundant work. Now I want to be sure I haven't scaled back too far.

The plan, thus far:

WWE 2

FLL 2

AAS 2 (presently, we'll just keep moving)

SOTW 2 & AG

RSO Earth

MM 2nd grade and finishing up RSB

Mark Kistler Art & various projects

Piano

Swimming

Lots of independent reading

Lots of read alouds

Audiobooks to go along with history

What am I missing? We did so much more than this for first, but a lot was overkill.

Open to any critique or suggestions!

Thanks.

Thanks! I do have some logic games and books I could pull out.

And will schedule some DVDs - and maybe a trip to the planetarium. We pull out the telescope periodically, so we've got that covered.

Will check out the Vox music masters!

Keep 'em coming, this is helpful. :)

Maybe a US State Geography CD with map. I used this as an extra with my elementary kids this year so they wouldn't seem so out of touch by doing Ancients and Medieval while all the other kids were learning basic US history and Geography. It worked fine as an add-on workbox a few times a week.

Oh, I should have included handwriting! We are working on moving over to D'Nealian from HWOT, because it seems a bit easier for lefties. I usually make our own copywork, once we've worked through the basics. At least, I did with HWOT this past year. This year I was hoping to do the same, just tying it in with other subjects. Would that be enough?

Thanks for all the help!

You can also do a little history copywork, or geography or science.

Like one sentence about your history lesson, or science - it is still handwriting, but hopefully also "fixating" something in their memory.

Some kids learn by writing better than listening.

We just finished second grade and we also did cursive -- because I at least want my boys to be able to read it even if they never actually use it for writing. (Handwriting Without Tears)

We also started a super gentle Latin program called Song School Latin. Very enjoyable. In fact, my kids don't even seem to consider it "a lesson" like WWE or FLL.

For science, I would have the kids watch regular Bill Nye The Science Guy. He has many dvds that I pick up at the library on nutrition (they learned to read food labels and look for the first ingredient), genes, water cycle etc. etc.

Also Magic School Bus (but I bet you're already on that).

We're almost done with SOTW 2 -- I loved it so much more than the ancients. It was very interesting and fun. (Although the way the English kings killed each other -- right and left -- I'm beginning to think Princess Di was offed!!)

Looks great!

Alley

Ok, I'm convinced. :) Song School Latin has been a huge temptation, and now enough of you have thrown it out there that, well... Why not?

Alley, did your kiddos watch the Science of Symphony videos? Bill Nye appears in a few, and it's like a superstar making an appearance if your kids are Bill Nye fans!

So grateful for all the thoughts on our year - thanks!

Alley, did your kiddos watch the Science of Symphony videos? Bill Nye appears in a few, and it's like a superstar making an appearance if your kids are Bill Nye fans!

So grateful for all the thoughts on our year - thanks!

Thanks for this suggestion! I'm on it!

Alley

I also think adding in American history every year is important in addition to the world history. I want my kids to get a really good foundation in American history, and I think doing some every year helps in that process.

Liberty Kids (PBS show that's excellent) is a great place to start on the Rev. War.

I also think reading the Little House books -- 8 in the series -- gives a great account of the pioneers/indians/railroad development/farming etc. So much is packed into the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.

Alley

On American history: do you add in another subject for this daily or weekly? We address this in a fairly spontaneous way, as we live in an area rich in history, and my kiddo asks a lot of questions. But I haven't added a specific subject onto our days, as I thought we'd likely hit it in more depth when we reach that level of SOTW.

[Does watching Liberty's Kids count? :001_smile: ]

On American history: do you add in another subject for this daily or weekly? We address this in a fairly spontaneous way, as we live in an area rich in history, and my kiddo asks a lot of questions. But I haven't added a specific subject onto our days, as I thought we'd likely hit it in more depth when we reach that level of SOTW.

[Does watching Liberty's Kids count? :001_smile: ]

I do history five days per week so that I can cover our world history in about the first half of the year. Then for the rest of the year I teach American history. I like to keep world history and American history separate because I think I would get confused as a kid if I had to switch back and forth.

I use a book on American history as a spine, and then add in extra books such as biographies or historical fiction for my husband or I to read to the kids. These extra books are some of the best ways to teach history to kids IMO, since you feel like you have lived it and known the people after reading those books. I think Liberty Kids would be good (though I haven't seen it myself). We just watched six episodes of Drive Through History DVDs which were EXCELLENT. Road trips/sight seeing are a great way to learn, also. My husband and I have decided that when we go on a trip, we will try to stop at various historical places along the way to reinforce our history learning.

I also like to teach 30 minutes once per week on civics/government. We learn American symbols, patriotic songs, the Pledge of Allegiance, the meaning of American holidays, about the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, etc. There are many events to take advange of to help teach civics, also, such as taking the kids along with you when you vote, Memorial and Veteran Day observances, etc.

Hope your year and your planning go well!