Menu

Favorite Campfire meals

We are going on our 2nd ever camping trip. Our last trip went well I am just looking for some meal ideas I may of over looked last time. We will need 3 days worth of meals + 1 extra breakfast and lunch. So hit me up with your favorite campfire meals. We will have a mid sized cooler for perishables and a rubbermade tote for non perishables. No electricity or running water unless I go hike out to the restrooms to get some.

I remember making hamburgers at day camp by wrapping the hamburgers in foil and tossing them in the fire pit (by the fire, not directly in it).

Hot dogs on sticks are always easy.

You can cook anything with a cast iron skillet and a grill stand to put over the fire. We had bacon and scrambled eggs on one camp out and spaghetti with meat sauce on another.

You might pack some water jugs for cleaning your dishes and to have a little for cooking.

I'm not much help, I have not been camping since High School! But I know we made all kinds of great food!

Our usual meals are pasta and jarred sauce, beans and franks in the cast iron skillet, and the foil packet burgers. You can make your burgers ahead of time and then have your veggies all pre-sliced. We use: potato slices, onions, celery, and carrots. Add a little garlic powder and carefully seal up your foil packet. Toss it in the hot coals. We've found it usually takes about 20 minutes.

Our breakfasts usually consist of cereal and milk or bacon and eggs.

Also like potates and onions cooked together in aluminum foil. :auto:

Mmmm, foil dinners....now I'm getting hungry.

Our favorite combination is a hamburger patty; sliced potatoes, carrots, and onions; and a sprig or two of fresh herbs, like rosemary and sage.

Two deserts you can do in foil are pineapple upside down cake and "banana boats."

--------

For pineapple upside down cake, you need:

-a plain, unfrosted cake donut for each person. (Our grocery store bakery sometimes sells these, and will always set some aside unfrosted if I call/stop by in advance to order some.)

-a can of pineapple rings

-butter or margarine

-brown sugar

-cinnamon

Slice the donuts like you would a bagel. Lay one half on your foil. Put on one pineapple ring. Put on a little pat of butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Top with the other half of the donut. Wrap the foil around, and lay the bundle in the hot coals or ashes (not directly in the flames). You only need a few minutes per side, since you are just melting the butter and letting the sugars caramelize a bit.

-------

For banana boats:

-a banana for each person

-chocolate chips

-mini-marshmallows

Hold the banana like a smilie and peel just the top strip, leaving it attached at the bottom. Cut a wedge out of the exposed banana and set that aside. Fill the hole with mini marshmallows and chocoate chips. Put the wedge back on (or not, sometimes we just eat that). Pull the skin back over. Depending on how you feel about the flavor of ashes :D , either lay the banana in hot ashes or wrap in tinfoil first, being careful to keep the filled wedge up. Wait long enough for everything to turn into a gooey mess, then enjoy.

-----------

We also like to do the cool things like boiling an egg in a paper cup (the cup quickly burns down to the water line, but no further).

For an easy meal without having to start a fire (like for lunch on a hot day), we like to make "build your own nachos". Bring a bag of tortilla chips, canned refried beans, shredded cheese or a jar of nacho cheese, sour cream (in cooler), salsa and/or diced tomatoes, a can of corn, whatever else you can think of.

Do you have a Coleman stove? If you can boil water on the stove or over the campfire, you can have instant oatmeal or freezer bag omlets (mix eggs, veggies, cheese, cooked meats, etc. into a ziplock bag and cook in hot water until done - very little mess to clean up!).

If you have Tonka pie-makers, you can make toasted hot sandwiches over the fire. Butter the outsides of the bread and add meats, cheese, tomato slices, etc. So delicious! And of course, you can also make the pies :). Oh, I see now they are made by Rome's. 3-4 pie makers would be handy for a family your size. (p.s. be sure to use big sliced bread - not necessarily thick, but as tall and wide as you can find.)

http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1705-Square-Steel-Handles/dp/B000FNLXWG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1310243373&sr=1-1

Edited by Susan in TN