Menu

Update on CC as high school rather than dual-enrollment credit

You ladies gave me some great info on this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285393

Thank you!

Yesterday I had a fantastic talk with one of the admissions counselors at William and Mary, which is Grace's first choice. They are TOTALLY okay with her applying as in incoming freshman although she already has her Associate's Degree from our community college. Her high school transcript just needs to reflect that these courses were for high school and we have the CC send them a copy of her official transcript from them. Once she is at William and Mary, provided she gets in, they will evaluate her courses and decide for which courses she should receive credit.

Just though this might be helpful for someone else.

I was so relieved when I found that out. I'm still struggling with what to do in the last few years of high school for my oldest, but it is good to know that there are indeed options that won't exclude community college.

Thanks for the encouragement, and glad the info is helpful for some of you. Brigid, we actually just moved to Raleigh from Charlottesville. I'd love to connect sometime. Your two are a little ahead of mine and I'd love to glean from your experience. :)

I pm-ed you. :)

The colleges/universities get to decide what credits they will accept for transfer students.

If your child takes a class at a community college you MUST submit that transcript to any future college/university. You cannot claim it as high school credit only-- the COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY gets to decide that one.

Community Colleges are REAL colleges NOT HIGH SCHOOLS-- most offer pre-college level courses that of course would not transfer for college credit-- but if you take a true college-level course at a community college it will count! (There are a few private college exceptions).

Most colleges/universities will allow student who took college OR community college classes in high school to be admitted as entering freshmen.

My daughter will attend Texas A&M (Corpus) this fall. She is considered an entering freshmen with ZERO credits. After completing her first semester she will be awarded the 27 credits she earned at the community college.

I have ZERO say in what credits should be accepted or denied. No matter how I worded her high school transcript!

When considering classes at a community colleges it is prudent to check with potential colleges/universities that your student may attend first!

The colleges/universities get to decide what credits they will accept for transfer students.

If your child takes a class at a community college you MUST submit that transcript to any future college/university. You cannot claim it as high school credit only-- the COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY gets to decide that one.

Oh, definitely. On her homeschool transcript I have an * by all the CC courses and will have the CC send in her transcript from there. Thanks for making that clear since I must not have!