Menu

Want to see how applicants have done at various colleges?

Our high school guidance office gives this link to Cappex's scattergram showing the ACT/SAT scores and GPA of various applicants to pretty much any college you plug in. It's been interesting to play around with - and very helpful at letting applicants "see" their odds based on others who had similar stats (beware one doesn't know the "extra" stuff beyond stats).

I'm not sure how common it is for parents on here to know about it, so thought I'd post it.

http://www.cappex.com/page/collegeCenter/scattergramStandAlone.jsp

Plug in any school name and you can see:

Accepted, but not attending

Accepted

Waitlisted

Denied

You can unclick boxes to see the categories better. These are self reported, so could contain errors, but I know at least some of the data is legit as our school uses it often.

Our high school guidance office gives this link to Cappex's scattergram showing the ACT/SAT scores and GPA of various applicants to pretty much any college you plug in. It's been interesting to play around with - and very helpful at letting applicants "see" their odds based on others who had similar stats (beware one doesn't know the "extra" stuff beyond stats).

I'm not sure how common it is for parents on here to know about it, so thought I'd post it.

http://www.cappex.com/page/collegeCenter/scattergramStandAlone.jsp

Plug in any school name and you can see:

Accepted, but not attending

Accepted

Waitlisted

Denied

You can unclick boxes to see the categories better. These are self reported, so could contain errors, but I know at least some of the data is legit as our school uses it often.

This is so awesome!!

I was thinking about something like this these past few days but didn't know what to Google search for :D

But it is self reporting.

Jane (who always took some of those self reported stories over at College Confidential with a shaker full of salt)

It is self-reporting so one needs to highly consider anomalies in that light. However, our guidance counselor told me they enter all college bound students data from our school, so some of it should be legit. I have yet to see any cluster that seems out of line for any school I've looked up, both local and those we're actually interested in.

Interesting! I played around with various colleges around the country and my conclusion is that GPA does not seem to matter much, and test scores matter a lot.

ETA: Oh, and I can pick out the athletes!

Edited by FairProspects

Yes, there is a Stanford data point at GPA 2.1 and SAT 1710. I don't think so...

We eliminate those, unless, of course, they are "Mr. and Mrs. Built the New Wing's" offspring. But if they were, I doubt they'd be self-reporting. ;)

It's the trend I like to see and I've yet to see one of those that doesn't look "right" from what I would suspect.

We eliminate those, unless, of course, they are "Mr. and Mrs. Built the New Wing's" offspring. But if they were, I doubt they'd be self-reporting. ;)

It's the trend I like to see and I've yet to see one of those that doesn't look "right" from what I would suspect.

Of course you are right. As the mom of a rising high school junior starting this whole college odyssey, it struck me as funny. But you are right, the trends are what I expected.

Nope, those are the football players! :lol:

(I'm only half-joking, my best friend from high school went to Stanford. She worked tutoring the athletes and had access to their SAT scores which she said threw off the averages by around half.)

(I'm only half-joking, my best friend from high school went to Stanford. She worked tutoring the athletes and had access to their SAT scores which she said threw off the averages by around half.)

And they might self-report! ;)

Of course you are right. As the mom of a rising high school junior starting this whole college odyssey, it struck me as funny. But you are right, the trends are what I expected.

Hm, "expect" is definitely a better word choice than "suspect." Good thing I'm not taking a standardized test anytime soon!

Welcome to the college odyssey! I've got one in, one applying this year, and one two years behind that guy. Then I can breathe again, but I won't know what to do with my time...

Fortunately for me, my oldest - the one already in - was super easy. It was nice to break into the game with an easy kiddo - nice stats - not too competitive college that was his number 1 choice due to what he wants to do in life. We missed some things with him (like the PSAT) but it still all worked out just fine - even the $$ aspect.

Now we've moved up a notch, but middle kid has really nice stats, so other than the crap shoot of where he gets in combined with what we can afford, it should work out. He's really flexible on what he's willing to adapt to so is quite agreeable to letting the finances be the bottom line.

Then I get to the "in depth" level - where scores might not be as high as my other two and he's pretty specific on what he wants. It's a good thing I have practice first!

My son's high school uses this to track all their students for the past three years (the school inputs the data - gpa, sat; schools accepted to, denied, etc). Many schools use Family Connection but you must have a login to use it. Call your school district to find out if you can use it too - if they use it.

Edited by MIch elle

Interesting! I played around with various colleges around the country and my conclusion is that GPA does not seem to matter much, and test scores matter a lot.

ETA: Oh, and I can pick out the athletes!

I wouldn't count on the athletes being athletes. ;)

My ds, with a low GPA and low SAT scores was accepted to his school without the benefits of being recruited for sports (he is an athlete, just doesn't plan to play in college.)

He was accepted with lower than average stats because he went to one of the best high schools in the state. I firmly believe had he gotten the same stats at the zoned high school, he wouldn't have gotten in anywhere (because an A at a regular school would likely get you a low B or high C at his school!)

My cousin who played football for Stanford a few years ago had very high SAT scores. I imagine she only sees the students who are struggling.:D

My son's high school uses this to track all their students for the past three years (the school inputs the data - gpa, sat; schools accepted to, denied, etc). Many schools use Family Connection but you must have a login to use it. Call your school district to find out if you can use it too - if they use it.

Our high school uses Naviance, but I don't know that they would let a homeschooler use it. Plus, literally no one from our high school ever even applies to the majority of schools middle son is considering. That's why they suggested Cappex. That's the system they use when kids consider any school outside the "usual" ones kids here consider.