Menu

Is it overkill to use Math Mammoth and Teaching Textbooks together?

bnrmom

I was wondering this b/c it could possibly help with instruction. We've been using last year's grade level as review and sometimes they get frustrated by the instruction of MM. It isn't always very clear. Perhaps this is b/c we are jumping around and not going sequential.

Generally speaking, I believe that using two or more math programs in their entirety is overkill and is frequently a sign of insecurity on the part of the homeschooling parent. Pick one that works for your family and is well regarded and use it. Adding interesting supplements is always nice, but neither MM or TT would qualify as interesting in my book.

ETA: By "interesting" I mean different enough from the standard fare that it is worth adding to whatever is already being done for math. Examples of interesting elementary level supplements might be Singapore Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice books and Life of Fred (though I would classify this one as heavy on interesting and light on supplementation).

Edited by EKS

Generally speaking, I believe that using two or more math programs in their entirety is overkill and is frequently a sign of insecurity on the part of the homeschooling parent. Pick one that works for your family and is well regarded and use it. Adding interesting supplements is always nice, but neither MM or TT would qualify as interesting in my book.

I am interested to hear what you used prior to Algebra:D I appreciate the info:)

I am interested to hear what you used prior to Algebra:D I appreciate the info:)

Older son: Saxon 2, 3, 5/4, 6/5, half of 7/6, MUS Beta-Zeta, a bit of Saxon 8/7, some supplementation with Challenging Word Problems and later ALEKS

Younger son: RightStart B, Singapore 2A-first half of 6A, Lial's BCM, supplementation with Life of Fred

I wasn't so much worried that he would miss something, but more that he responds well to the visual component of TT, and I thought that it might help him in learning a topic if he was having a hard time understanding it through MM. However, I'm not comfortable with all of the instruction being done via video, so I was thinking of somehow merging the two. I might order one of the MM topic books and see how it goes.

Yes, I think you could. BUT.. I wouldn't pay for the MM grade level stuff. I'd go for the booklets on specific topics and use it as a "the child is struggling in this area so let's do a little extra work here."

Once TT teaches a topic they review it quite a bit through the lessons by simply asking the child to answer like problems. For instance, they taught you what a right angle is, so now they want you to point one out to them in each lesson. My child struggled with this so we watched Cyberchase on Right Angles and played a video game involving right angles. Never had a problem since. I actually own MM and TT, i've scored several MM free via currclick.

I keep meaning to pull them out and see if they have something in there my 8 year old needs to review consistently. ;) I wouldn't, however, use them as full blown currics at the same time because TT can be time intensive at times. All though.. I say that and I have one child who can easily finish a lesson in 10-15 minutes while the other one always takes about 20-30.

I was wondering this b/c it could possibly help with instruction. We've been using last year's grade level as review and sometimes they get frustrated by the instruction of MM. It isn't always very clear. Perhaps this is b/c we are jumping around and not going sequential.

Jumping around in MM could definitely cause confusion.

I've never seen or used Math Mammoth, but we used TT5 this past school year and I found it to be enough math. It took us about 30 minutes or so a day to do a lesson, my daughter enjoyed it, it really freed up a lot of my time and reduced my stress level (I'm not mathy lol), her standardized test scores vastly improved over the previous year- I didn't feel it required any "supplementing."

I do have a review of it up on my blog with a lot more detail if you want to take a peek:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

We use TT and MM blue as well as Singapore. I disagree with EKS. How unfortunate to read such criticism here. I am becoming increasingly weary of the elitest tone on this board as of late.

As a MM user, I didn't take her comment to be criticising those programs. She was just saying that she wouldn't use them as a supplement to another similar program. She'd use a more interesting supplement if something needed supplementing.

I can understand her position. As a MM user, I also add in "more interesting" content via Singapore IP and CWP (without using their main program), though I do believe MM by itself is perfectly fine for most kids.

That said, I have seen people use the MM topic books to supplement standard programs where the child wasn't understanding the method used in their main program. I think MM is good for that. Some people even use MM to help explain Singapore better. ;)

I wouldn't use both TT and MM in their entirety though. Pick one to use as a spine, and then decide if you need more instruction once you've used it for a bit. You may find that whichever one you pick, your child is doing well with that program alone.

Also, make sure you do the placement test for both programs, as they have different scope and sequences. You'll likely need a higher level in TT than you do in MM.

:iagree: Look at the front of the book, I think in the Foreward... She says which chapters can be done out of order. Usually, the time, money, geometry, and measurement chapters can be done out of order. The other stuff needs to be in order.

We use TT and MM blue as well as Singapore. I disagree with EKS. How unfortunate to read such criticism here. I am becoming increasingly weary of the elitest tone on this board as of late.

Do you do all three programs in their entirety? All lessons, all problems, all activities, all levels? If so, I'm impressed.

For the record, I didn't say that *everyone* who uses two math programs is feeling insecure. But I do believe that if it is being done because of a fear of missing something then it might be good to take a step back and see if it is really in the best interests of the child's education. Generally, if the kid is able to do the sheer number of problems that two or more math programs would require in a reasonable amount of time, he or she might benefit from moving into harder material where each problem takes more brain power and more time.

I don't see how my comment was elitist. Blunt, maybe, but not elitist.

As a MM user, I didn't take her comment to be criticising those programs. She was just saying that she wouldn't use them as a supplement to another similar program. She'd use a more interesting supplement if something needed supplementing.

Yes, I wasn't intending to criticize either MM or TT as programs. By "interesting" I simply meant that the added resource should offer something substantially different than the main text and if the added resource is a math program in itself, it probably shouldn't be done it its entirety.

Edited by EKS

Do you do all three programs in their entirety? All lessons, all problems, all activities, all levels? If so, I'm impressed.

Yes. I use them in their entirety. I choose MM blue supplements periodically. Each to his own. I'm not concerned with impressing anyone. This is homeschooling. My way.

For the record, I didn't say that *everyone* who uses two math programs is feeling insecure. But I do believe that if it is being done because of a fear of missing something then it might be good to take a step back and see if it is really in the best interests of the child's education. Generally, if the kid is able to do the sheer number of problems that two or more math programs would require in a reasonable amount of time, he or she might benefit from moving into harder material where each problem takes more brain power and more time.

I don't see how my comment was elitist. Blunt, maybe, but not elitist.

EKS, You are an expert on your children. I am an expert on mine. Comments like the one below are not productive, ime.

Some folks here choose to display their opinion. Some choose to discuss materials. Some choose to discuss motive. The latter is not productive in a venue such as this. How well do you know anyone to make a comment such as the one below?

Generally speaking, I believe that using two or more math programs in their entirety is overkill and is frequently a sign of insecurity on the part of the homeschooling parent.

EKS, You are an expert on your children. I am an expert on mine. Comments like the one below are not productive, ime.

Some folks here choose to display their opinion. Some choose to discuss materials. Some choose to discuss motive. The latter is not productive in a venue such as this. How well do you know anyone to make a comment such as the one below?

So my comment was offensive to you. That's different than elitist.

As for how well I know anyone to make such a comment, I know myself when I was using more than one program. I know many people IRL who use more than one program (and again, I'm not talking about supplementation here). The thing driving the use of two or more programs was/is fear that something will be missed. I realize that not everyone who uses more than one program is doing it out of fear. It's just something to be aware of when considering adding the extra work of a second program--Is this in the best interests of my child or is it simply allaying my own fear that I'll miss something?

So my comment was offensive to you. That's different than elitist.

As for how well I know anyone to make such a comment, I know myself when I was using more than one program. I know many people IRL who use more than one program (and again, I'm not talking about supplementation here). The thing driving the use of two or more programs was/is fear that something will be missed. I realize that not everyone who uses more than one program is doing it out of fear. It's just something to be aware of when considering adding the extra work of a second program--Is this in the best interests of my child or is it simply allaying my own fear that I'll miss something?

Or perhaps the student enjoys math. Peace....

That is what I'm hoping :) We've been moving along and they are following it better as they become accustomed to the style. My dd definitely needed the review and my ds needed some work on some of the more abstract concepts to get ready for the next level next year.

That is what I'm hoping :) We've been moving along and they are following it better as they become accustomed to the style. My dd definitely needed the review and my ds needed some work on some of the more abstract concepts to get ready for the next level next year.

It can take a while to get used the MM's style of teaching especially if someone is coming from a program that focuses on the formulas and not on what you are accomplishing with the formulas.