Menu

Mark Kistler Art?

I have signed up for the 3 year membership but I cannot figure out how to implement this program. Where do we start? In what order do we do the lessons? I found where the "mini-marshmallows" lessons are for ages 4-7. Since my kids are 8 and 9, I'm guessing we'll skip those. But, what should we do? School of Imagination or the video art lessons? What is the difference (other than one is video and the other is self-read)? Help!

My boys are 10 and 12 and last year we purchased the 3 year membership. They do the online video art academy lessons and love them. They just started at the first lesson and do however much they have time for. They may do one or more lessons, but they would spend as much time as they could and they never complain about this class. That is really great because we are "artistically challenged" and I am so happy they are enjoying this and learning.

I am not sure of the difference between School of imagination and Online Video Art. Hopefully someone else has tried School of Imagination and will have more information.

I just let my kids choose what they want to do. I don't know that there's any particular order except doesn't the school of imagination have that path that they follow as they complete lessons? It's been a while since I've looked at it. I don't know if dd9 has tried the online art academy yet, but even she has enjoyed the mini marshmallow lessons. All my kids find Mark very funny.

I like the video art lessons mostly because my youngest is not a terribly strong reader and I don't think he would bother reading the bottom of the other ones (the video lessons "talk" to him). For that matter, DD would read the ones but she wouldn't note the vocabulary words or anything. Maybe what I'll do is have them work through the video lessons first and then do the other next year when they're a bit older.

I bought this months ago and never really used it. It doesn't work on the iPad. I have a new laptop now, so am looking at it again. I think the nonvideo lessons look better.

I agree that the non-video lessons look better, more thorough. But, I think that's because of the information given in the text. I'm thinking if my kids do the video lessons, it will build their interest in art such that they will want to learn about the rest. I'm hoping, anyway. :tongue_smilie:

I was obsessed with MK when I was a kid. I came home everyday to watch him on PBS. He came to visit a school in my neighborhood and I went to get his autographed book. (Just slightly obsessed...)

I too have the 3 year subscription. I pulled out my "Draw Squad" book and glanced through it. There are very defined lessons in that, so I use that along with the videos with my girls (6 and 9).

On their schedule I put what lesson I want them to watch and then they sketch in their sketch books. It is suggested to watch the videos in order on the screen...so you start with a cube, then sphere, etc... We sketch every 2-3 days depending on the week.

The good thing about the videos (yes they are flash and do not work on an ipand :( ) is that they SHOW you how you should be sketching. My girls pause the video as they sketch and watch.

Even though the mini-marshmallows are for younger students...they still have basic drawing skills that are covered.

I've been looking at this through HSBC and really want to get it. I didn't realize one of them isn't video lessons.

I did e-mail him asking if we needed anything....like any of his books. He said they are definitely nice to have, but all we need would be pencil and paper. Do you all find this to be true? He doesn't ever say...."get your book out.." or anything?

Also, I am having a hard time finding a nice sketch pad that is spiral bound at the top. We have no good stores near us, so I was looking at Rainbow Resource and can't find anything (either they aren't spiral bound at the top...which I think would eventually cause the papers to fall out...or they are spiral bound on the side).

I've been looking at this through HSBC and really want to get it. I didn't realize one of them isn't video lessons.

I did e-mail him asking if we needed anything....like any of his books. He said they are definitely nice to have, but all we need would be pencil and paper. Do you all find this to be true? He doesn't ever say...."get your book out.." or anything?

Also, I am having a hard time finding a nice sketch pad that is spiral bound at the top. We have no good stores near us, so I was looking at Rainbow Resource and can't find anything (either they aren't spiral bound at the top...which I think would eventually cause the papers to fall out...or they are spiral bound on the side).

I haven't watched the videos but I don't think you need anything but pencil and paper. As for the sketch book, try Dick Blick. It's an art supply store (I buy online) and they have everything.

I haven't watched the videos but I don't think you need anything but pencil and paper. As for the sketch book, try Dick Blick. It's an art supply store (I buy online) and they have everything.

Thank you!

We just bought this too and so far it's a hit! We purchased the sketch pads with the spirals at the side -- WalMart.
'

I wasn't sure if I should get the ones with the spiral on the side (they are easier to find, apparently). Do you turn the pad so the spiral is on the top, or do you just leave it as is (spiral on the left)...and if so, there isn't any "interference" while drawing??

We love it here. My girls just work on a plain piece of copy paper and then it goes into a page protector in a binder. Neat and tidy!:)

I really like this idea. This would make a nice binder of artwork and each page is protected from getting wrinkled and smudged up. :001_smile:

What about the pencils and things? Are there special types? I just purchased this too, but I totally know nothing of art supplies. In the trial video (only one we've looked at yet) it looks like he has special pencils and shaders .... Anyone know anything about this?

thanks

We started with a few of the Mini-marshmellow Lessons (MML) for some quick sketch confidence for DD and then moved into doing the School of Imagination (SOI) lessons as regular sketching lessons for both.

The dc are drawing every other day this year and seem to like the online video academy better for their practice sketching sessions, more so than using SOI (SOI is see, read and do).

With the online video academy the lessons are certainly more involved than MML and yet still provides the same zany virtual 'teacher' interaction that our DC seem to like so much :D

We mix- n- match the techniques being learnt with Mark into our art lessons using splashes of Artistic Pursuits - for a visual I'll need to link to our blog post here - the pict is too big for this forum.

I have signed up for the 3 year membership but I cannot figure out how to implement this program. Where do we start? In what order do we do the lessons? I found where the "mini-marshmallows" lessons are for ages 4-7. Since my kids are 8 and 9, I'm guessing we'll skip those. But, what should we do? School of Imagination or the video art lessons? What is the difference (other than one is video and the other is self-read)? Help!
Edited by tuesdayschild

I saw Mark last week from someone else on this forum and immediately opened up his freebie sample lessons on his website under the mini marshmellow section and my oldest dd whom is 8 sat down and 3 hours later said she was done!!!!!!!! It was a HUGe hit and she wants more!

For my dd6 she likes the idea of drawing but wants to have a little bit more freedom of creating. So we'll see where she goes with what she learns from Mark.

He said all you need is a sharp #2 pencil and paper. I purchase the spiral bound sketch pad for each of my dd's at Walmart. They just turn it so the spiral is at the top.

I will purchase his 3yr subscription and hoping to implement drawing into our school day atleast twice a week.

I suggest having your kids try a couple of the BASIC mini marshmellow lessons to learn the techniques maybe. But I don't own it and dont know if he offers this in the upper level of lessons or not. But I did show my dd8 the next level up and she immediately was telling me it was too fast.

My dd's too pause the computer and sketch then unpause with no issues.

Anyone ever remember Pappyland - Pappy Drew-it? I use to sit each morning and watch the show and draw with him with my brother when were tweens. And the show is aired for ages 3-10, but I loved that I could actually DRAW! I wish they had shows like that still on cable. That is EDUCATIONAL television! I went to his website and he's trying to get his show back on PBS!

Edited by mamaofblessings

What about the pencils and things? Are there special types? I just purchased this too, but I totally know nothing of art supplies. In the trial video (only one we've looked at yet) it looks like he has special pencils and shaders .... Anyone know anything about this?

thanks

I had e-mailed Mark with a few questions and he replied that all you need is paper and a pencil.....nothing special, just probably what you already have at home.

We started with a few of the Mini-marshmellow Lessons (MML) for some quick sketch confidence for DD and then moved into doing the School of Imagination (SOI) lessons as regular sketching lessons for both.

The dc are drawing every other day this year and seem to like the online video academy better for their practice sketching sessions, more so than using SOI (SOI is see, read and do).

With the online video academy the lessons are certainly more involved than MML and yet still provides the same zany virtual 'teacher' interaction that our DC seem to like so much :D

We mix- n- match the techniques being learnt with Mark into our art lessons using splashes of Artistic Pursuits - for a visual I'll need to link to our blog post here - the pict is too big for this forum.

The drawings / paintings are great. How did you do that? It looks like you drew the fish and then cut them out and put them on top of the painted paper. But....I don't know how you'd be able to cut all those fish and jellyfish tentacles out. But....I don't know how you could paint around the fish either, without getting paint inside the fish. Soooo....tell us how you did that. :001_smile:

Wow! Those sure are perdy! :001_smile:

The drawings / paintings are great. How did you do that? It looks like you drew the fish and then cut them out and put them on top of the painted paper. But....I don't know how you'd be able to cut all those fish and jellyfish tentacles out. But....I don't know how you could paint around the fish either, without getting paint inside the fish. Soooo....tell us how you did that. :001_smile:

We did exactly that :001_smile:

The back ground was a lesson on blending, from dark to light tones, and the 'sea-life' we took 2 lessons to practice elipses (fore shortened circles and shading).

(The mums helped to cut around the really tricky bits on the fish - the rest the dc manned all on their own.)

Sounds all fancy but it was really quite easy to impliment and the confidence boost for the dc when we started to patch all that together was pretty significant.

& thanks for liking their work :) , two of the artists initially imagined they were non-artistic.

Edited by tuesdayschild

Wow! Those sure are perdy! :001_smile:

Thanks for your really kind comment!

I'm going to be sure to let one of our little 'artists' come and read your comment - pencil control for that dc can often be really hard work.

So to produce something that is so visually appealing to them, and others, is just a huge confidence creator -and encouragement to have another go.

We did exactly that :001_smile:

The back ground was a lesson on blending, from dark to light tones, and the 'sea-life' we took 2 lessons to practice elipses (fore shortened circles and shading).

(The mums helped to cut around the really tricky bits on the fish - the rest the dc manned all on their own.)

Sounds all fancy but it was really quite easy to impliment and the confidence boost for the dc when we started to patch all that together was pretty significant.

& thanks for liking their work :) , two of the artists initially imagined they were non-artistic.

Thanks for explaining. You guys not only painted really pretty, and drew really great....you have some awesome scissors skills as well (try to say scissors skills 5 times fast! :D ). These should be framed and hung on the wall. Great job!!

Thanks for explaining. You guys not only painted really pretty, and drew really great....you have some awesome scissors skills as well (try to say scissors skills 5 times fast! :D ). These should be framed and hung on the wall. Great job!!

Thanks AprilMay, you made their day!

(And the tongue twister ... :laugh:)