Menu

Youngest recommended age for One Year Adventure Novel?

I see that this is worth 1 high school credit but I'm wondering if it's considered appropriate for middle school as well. If your child has used this program before high school, would you comment on how it went and any suggestions?

Carolyn

The author claims it works for 8th grade and up. We'll be trying it this fall for my young 8th grader -- but he loves to write and really *wants* to do the program.

BTW, the latest Homeschool Buyers Co-op email mentioned that they were in talks to get a 20% discount in the near future. I don't know how "near" that means, though I was sorry I'd already bought it and hadn't waited for the savings! :)

My daughter is at the OYAN summer workshop in Kansas today! She is having a great time. The author, Brian Davis, was there yesterday.

I know that there have been kids as young as 11 that participated, but I believe you would need a motivated student. Make sure that your students get involved in the community at the forum. That is a great part of the experience. My daughter has made friends that have really encouraged her writing. She has remained involved in this community for several years now. She even purchased extra workbooks to help her with multiple stories. So for motivated writers, this is not just a one year curriculum.

Blessings,

My dd used this last year. She is a very motivated writer and is editing her first novel and writing her second. She loves the program and I'm sending her to Kansas next summer. She just turned 15. IMHO, I think 5th grade is young for this. I can't imagine my 5th grader doing this much writing and I'd hate to see her burn out on writing. Your 5th grader might love it; you'll need to make the call.

Yes, use the forum. My dd has grown so much from that. She's Spark on the forums, btw.

The program is excellent! I'd give it 5 stars!

I've bought this to use with my 9th grader next year. We're both super excited and I love seeing all the great reviews. I haven't used it yet, but have been watching lessons and going through the materials. I wouldn't use it with a 5th or 5th grader. I won't even use it with my 7th grader who has done NaNoWriMo. I probably would let an 8th grader try it. However, only you know your child.

I would do NaNoWriMo for a couple of months in the fall (workbook, then writing) and you could even follow that up with editing. I think that would be more accessible to a middle school student. Let them work on other writing the rest of the year so they don't burn out. You can do National Script Writing Month in April if they want to do it again. That way the projects vary and there is less chance of burn out.

I've bought this to use with my 9th grader next year. We're both super excited and I love seeing all the great reviews. I haven't used it yet, but have been watching lessons and going through the materials. I wouldn't use it with a 5th or 5th grader. I won't even use it with my 7th grader who has done NaNoWriMo. I probably would let an 8th grader try it. However, only you know your child.

I would do NaNoWriMo for a couple of months in the fall (workbook, then writing) and you could even follow that up with editing. I think that would be more accessible to a middle school student. Let them work on other writing the rest of the year so they don't burn out. You can do National Script Writing Month in April if they want to do it again. That way the projects vary and there is less chance of burn out.

I would agree with this. My dd (16) did this last year after having done 3 NaNoWriMo's. She loved doing OYAN but it takes a love and a commitment to writing! Personally I would wait until highschool with almost all kids with maybe a few rare exceptions. I would like to use it with my son who is not as into writing but will probably wait until his sophomore or junior year.