Menu

I'm still missing 2 things

For logic we enjoyed the "logic liftoff' series. My son, just finished 5th grade, completed the second and third books last year. They were not very expensive at all. We did one exercise, three or four times per week.

For language, have you checked your public library? Our offers Mango Languages free online. I have no opinion of it, because we haven't used it yet, but it might be worth checking out.

I am going to use SYRWTL Spanish this year with my son, who will be in 6th grade. I plan to supplement with Mango. SYRWTL isn't really cheap but Mango would be, if it is free.

Logic and foreign language (french/spanish).

I've already used up my hs budget for books... so what's out there that's free to really cheap? Oh, forgot to say, this is for 5th and 6th grades

Do you know French? I used the Valette & Valette books in high school and thought they were very good. They are still around. I bet you could get a set of older editions relatively cheap. (I'm seeing some copies on abebooks.com for $1 plus shipping.

and, it's not ideal but for 5th and 6th grade one could buy some suduko books, crossword puzzles and borrow some brain teaser-type book from the library. Personally, I would look for crossword and suduko by Will Shortz, who is the puzzle editor of the NYT. He has some books made just for kids in the 9-12 range.

Then I would spend some time digging into the MEP (free online math program from Europe) and pull out some of their logic-y problems. heck, some of the questions in the year 1 program stump me!

So, that would be pretty cheap, if you could find a deal on the puzzle books.

Sometimes you can find the logic workbook you want available as an e-book to make it even cheaper. I was just looking at some of the mindbenders stuff that comes that way. Usually in the $7 range.

For free spanish for that age, you could easily just hit the library. Get a book of 1000 words and then start labeling things in your home, etc. You know I hadn't thought about it, but I'm guessing many of our libraries also have children's books in spanish. Might enable you to read familiar or simple books in both english and spanish. Foreign languages have never stuck in my dd's brain very well, but recently she was saying that if she HAS to do one, it might as well be spanish. Maybe I should follow my own advice! :)

Sorry, I just checked, and the specific thing I was looking at as an ebook was some sort of cryptograms thing. But it's still very similar, using logic. Here's the link to the page I was one. I've used the mindbenders, and it seems like a lot of the books are going to ebooks. http://www.criticalthinking.com/searchBykeyword.do?code=c&catalog=p&searchKey=new+products

Edited by OhElizabeth

StudySpanish.com offers free content. It is laid out much like a standard textbook course. More in-depth content is available for a fee, but when we used it there was plenty for free.

Your kiddos are a bit old for Salsa videos - but they are excellent for immersion. They will learn a lot! http://littlehomeschoolblessings.blogspot.com/2010/11/spanish-series-salsa.html

Do you know French? I used the Valette & Valette books in high school and thought they were very good. They are still around. I bet you could get a set of older editions relatively cheap. (I'm seeing some copies on abebooks.com for $1 plus shipping.

Thanks! I'll check into those. I know a teeny tiny bit-- not enough to hold a conversation, but I took French I in high school and also took french when it was still free from livemocha.com. I might know enough to be able to use those.

Spanish I do not speak at all, except to ask where the bathroom is and to count to 29. LOL