Menu

5 Year Old Doing 20 Pages of Math Daily...

I let my 5 year old son watch two six minute cartoons after he finishes all his school work each day. He was doing either 1 page of MM or 3-4 pages of Singapore 1B/CWP 1. Last week, he asked if he could watch five cartoons if he did twenty pages of math. I said yes, and he did it three days in a row. Today, I cut him off at 17 because I thought two hours of math at his age was enough for one day.

He knows he can stop any time after doing the minimum few pages. Should I be concerned about him burning out? He seems to be retaining what he's learning, otherwise I wouldn't consider going this fast.

You're probably going over things he already knows. He should slow down once he hits something "new". ;) (he may not slow down to average pace of a typical child, but he wouldn't be able to do 20 pages in one day if it were actually challenging him)

You're probably going over things he already knows. He should slow down once he hits something "new". ;) (he may not slow down to average pace of a typical child, but he wouldn't be able to do 20 pages in one day if it were actually challenging him)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

True as well. I'm finally realizing that as I get to actually TEACH dd some things finally :lol:. However, it also comes with quick understanding, as when I teach dd something new, she takes the first couple of problems slowly as we figure it out, and then flies through every page of various applications (11 pages yesterday plus learning about negative numbers on her own time).

:iagree:

There were some things we did that my son didn't already know before we got to them but they were still super easy. My son didn't slow down until we hit algebra.

We've gone through that in various subjects-I agree that it slows down (a little, anyway) when the work gets more challenging.

If you're not doing the Singapore IP, I recommend it-it's great for letting them use their minds at a deeper level without necessarily having to move ahead conceptually.

If you're not doing the Singapore IP, I recommend it-it's great for letting them use their minds at a deeper level without necessarily having to move ahead conceptually.

I was thinking about starting the Intensive Practice book after we finish MM 1B, Singapore 1B text/workbook (3rd edition), and CWP 1. At this rate, it may only be another few weeks.

I was happy with MM and only bought Singapore because it was cheap at a used curriculum sale I went to in May. I figure I would try it out for $5. He seems to like it much better, but maybe that's because MM1A isn't very exciting. I was avoiding SM because of all the different books needed, but I'm glad I tried it.

Well, he didn't already know all this, but he certainly is picking it up quickly. Right now, we're in a section practicing adding numbers like 54+3 by turning the problem into 50+3+4 = 50+7=57. He still needs some practice because he might explain out loud how he got his answer to one problem and then a few minutes later, can't remember how to solve a similar one. He does pretty well with his math facts but doesn't have them all memorized yet either.

Rewards are a beautiful thing, aren't they?

LOL, all my kids did that with various school books at times. We've always celebrated the end of each book, and so they often get in a big hurry to finish when they see the finish line. It sure makes it easy to make rapid progress, doesn't it?

I would not discourage it, but just don't up the ante or add pressure to repeat frequently. They'll do that when it's easy or they're highly motivated, and ease off as needed.

Enjoy!