Menu

For those of you who have used The Reading Detective...

kengjw

by the Critical Thinking Co....how do you and your kids like it? Did you use the workbook or the software? Why?

I am trying to decide what to buy for my dd's reading comprehension. It seems that many like The Reading Detective and I am trying to justify if the higher cost is worth it compare to other reading comprehension workbooks in the market. I am not looking for a full reading curriculum, I just want something easy to dor with dd.

Any feedbacks are appreciated!.

Thanks.

Julia

As I looked at it ... challenging reading concepts such as drawing inferences, making conclusions, determining cause-and-effect, and using context clues to define vocabulary

After I saw the price, I thought that I could buy a lot of workbooks or pdf downloads for the price. I immediately think of Currclick and CBD for these purchases.

http://www.christianbook.com/reading-passages-comprehension-inferences-drawing-conclusions/linda-beech/9780439554114/pd/554112?item_code=WW&netp_id=714458&event=ESRCN&view=details

or

http://www.christianbook.com/following-directions-making-inferences/1561753114/pd/735205?item_code=WW&netp_id=326065&event=ESRCN&view=details

And, I want to add that Remedia publications has a ton of books for reading that you could use much cheaper.

:) Something to take into consideration.

But, I do think that the coverage of reading dectectives is excellent. I like the set and would find it convienent to be on the computer as well as to have it score and test. If you could, I would get it. :)

It took my then-3rd grader from zero reading comprehension to scoring over 90% on his 3rd grade standardized test. The same this year with my 8yo, who is technically a 2nd grader. Tested an 89% on a 3rd grade reading standardized test.

That said, it wasn't their favorite subject.;) You can't just skim for answers.

BTW, we have the workbook. I took it apart and put each page in a sheet protector so they can use a wet erase with it. I can have all my kids use the same workbook. Worth the price this way.

My daughter has used the software a couple of days a week the last two years. She really likes it and her reading comprehension scores are in the 90th percentile. My son used it for the first time this last year and he surprised me by liking it as well. He isn't usually as excited about software. His reading comprehension score was as high as my daughter's but he was also using EPS Reading Comprehension through Varied Subject Matter.

If I could go back, I would have stretched out the 2 levels I've used with my daughter over at least 3 years because the next level is for 7th - 8th grade and then that's it.

The software is expensive, but it has a pretty good resale value if you take care of it.

Lisa

I bought the CDrom from someone here for less than 20.00 ppd. You can see that it is much cheaper to buy it on Amazon as compared to the Critical Thinking website. 20is instead of 70ish. I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if the website is offering a school license?

I need to install ours so I can't help beyond the price.

My older DD has used it for a couple of years (two levels). We both really like it and it really has helped her reading comprehension. We will continue to use it until we run out of books.

We use the books and not the software. The money isn't really an issue for us, so I had not idea that it was expensive compared to other curriculum. I do highly recommend it though.

We used the book (A1) last year for 5th grade. In OR we have testing at the end of 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th, so I got it with that in mind. It was fine. I don't think I'll use it again. For one thing, my dds read a ton and I don't really think comprehension is an issue. I also thought some of the questions were poorly written or confusing--questions that wouldn't survive the editing process of a real test. The things that dd would miss I would look at closely to review with her, and I often agreed with her answer or could at least see her point of view. When we later did Spectrum Test Prep, I don't think she missed a single question, and I thought the questions were more representative of the tests she'll have to take. I have not yet received her test scores.

I at first had the next book in my cart at RR, but I needed to cut some things to meet budget and I realized that there wasn't a huge benefit to that book. Will save us some time in our day not to do it also. I'm sticking with Editor in Chief though--cheaper, less subjective, and dd could use the extra practice.

I have used it twice. Once with DS to hone in on reading comprehension. It did a wonderful job. I am using again with a 13 year old that I tutor. He loves it and his comprehension is coming along amazingly fast.

My DS reads light years above grade level. The 13 year old reads at grade level. In both situations, each child has found the book to be engaging and I like that comprehension activities aren't the same old, same old.

As I looked at it ... challenging reading concepts such as drawing inferences, making conclusions, determining cause-and-effect, and using context clues to define vocabulary

After I saw the price, I thought that I could buy a lot of workbooks or pdf downloads for the price. I immediately think of Currclick and CBD for these purchases.

http://www.christianbook.com/reading-passages-comprehension-inferences-drawing-conclusions/linda-beech/9780439554114/pd/554112?item_code=WW&netp_id=714458&event=ESRCN&view=details

or

http://www.christianbook.com/following-directions-making-inferences/1561753114/pd/735205?item_code=WW&netp_id=326065&event=ESRCN&view=details

And, I want to add that Remedia publications has a ton of books for reading that you could use much cheaper.

:) Something to take into consideration.

But, I do think that the coverage of reading dectectives is excellent. I like the set and would find it convienent to be on the computer as well as to have it score and test. If you could, I would get it. :)

Thank you for your thoughts and the links. I will have to do some more browsing to come to a conclusion...to buy or not to buy...lol.

Thanks again.

Julia

I can't compare quality, but from a price per page angle, I do not think Reading Detective (at 216 pages for the one I ordered) seems too expensive for a workbook. I happened to order one recently on abebooks, new, for around $19 plus $3 shipping. I think I also have that inference workbook (48 pages) and some Remedia stuff - maybe we'll use them all :D (dd has had some reading comprehension issues and issues with making inferences)

My daughter has used the software a couple of days a week the last two years. She really likes it and her reading comprehension scores are in the 90th percentile. My son used it for the first time this last year and he surprised me by liking it as well. He isn't usually as excited about software. His reading comprehension score was as high as my daughter's but he was also using EPS Reading Comprehension through Varied Subject Matter.

If I could go back, I would have stretched out the 2 levels I've used with my daughter over at least 3 years because the next level is for 7th - 8th grade and then that's it.

The software is expensive, but it has a pretty good resale value if you take care of it.

Lisa

I am thinking of getting the software mainly because I don't want to grade another subject plus my dd might find it more interested than a workbook. Hmm...I like the idea of stretching the levels out longer...that way, the cost doesn't seem so bad:0)

Thanks.

Julia

It took my then-3rd grader from zero reading comprehension to scoring over 90% on his 3rd grade standardized test. The same this year with my 8yo, who is technically a 2nd grader. Tested an 89% on a 3rd grade reading standardized test.

That said, it wasn't their favorite subject.;) You can't just skim for answers.

BTW, we have the workbook. I took it apart and put each page in a sheet protector so they can use a wet erase with it. I can have all my kids use the same workbook. Worth the price this way.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like the book is working very well for your kids. I am encourage :0)

Julia

I bought the CDrom from someone here for less than 20.00 ppd. You can see that it is much cheaper to buy it on Amazon as compared to the Critical Thinking website. 20is instead of 70ish. I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if the website is offering a school license?

I need to install ours so I can't help beyond the price.

The software is for sale for about $29.99 in few websites right now. I have definitely seen some people/websites selling them for $70+, pretty crazy. Thanks for your feedback.

Julia

I have the beginning book. I only used a little bit of it, chose random pages from different parts of the book, as a preview for standardized testing for third grade. It did serve it's purpose but was too expensive for test prep, and certainly didn't teach anything as it was too simple for my student. I probably should have gone up a level.

We had science and reading detective software. Never opened reading but science was horrid. Super poor graphics, terribly dull text, grey color, not engaging at all. So much for the fabulous return policy too- it was a pain to even attempt to get the money back. I sold both here. Maybe others like them but our comp here is fine and I was terribly disappointed. Won't ever buy that stuff again in software form.

I have the beginning book. I only used a little bit of it, chose random pages from different parts of the book, as a preview for standardized testing for third grade. It did serve it's purpose but was too expensive for test prep, and certainly didn't teach anything as it was too simple for my student. I probably should have gone up a level.

We had science and reading detective software. Never opened reading but science was horrid. Super poor graphics, terribly dull text, grey color, not engaging at all. So much for the fabulous return policy too- it was a pain to even attempt to get the money back. I sold both here. Maybe others like them but our comp here is fine and I was terribly disappointed. Won't ever buy that stuff again in software form.

Thank you both for your feedback. Something to think about :0)

Julia