Menu

Horse people...we're adding another to the family!

We only have two horses, one came to us as a very badly abused Walking Horse from middle TN...I've worked with him for 2 years and he is a completely new animal...trusting, curious, confident! We had been praying about adding another one (our hope is to use these horses for ministry with foster children) and this one presented itself. She's apparently a registered Walker 3 year old filly...but the owners completely neglected her, her mother and 5 others...we are taking the 3 year old...the one in the front, hard to believe she is only 3...her eyes speak years much older than that.

I have had experience with abuse/behavioral issues but not so much starvation neglect...the vet who has had her for a week has been soaking beet pulp and alfalfa pellets...I have 7 acres of lush pastures...I know I will have to keep her limited the first bit...just 2-3 hours of grazing until her system can handle the increase in feed....and I will keep up the beet pulp/alfalfa..

The vet seems to believe she is perfectly well enough to handle the introduction into my small herd (two is more a duo!)...she has dewormed her weekly and will give quest gel two-three days before she comes...her feet are sound but so neglected so my farrier will come out a week later...

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..I have a trainer that comes weekly and works with us and our horses so she will be on hand to help...greatly appreciate any prayers and we'll try to come up with a name once we see her personality...

Hope.jpg

Edited by ma23peas
Update!!

Oh my gosh! That poor lady!

My advice: free choice hay and small frequent meals. Have the kids run out and give her handfuls of grain all day long.

A grain recommendation, if it's available in your area, is Thrive. But, really, she's been getting nothing to eat. Whatever brand you feed her is going to be better than what she's used to, which is nothing.

Thank you for rescuing her.

P.S. She's going to have a beautiful mane!

You might talk to the vet about Amplify. Also, the Quest can make her pretty sick so I am glad this is being done at the vets. I did have to restore a horse in similar condition. The recipe I did was somewhat complex. 4lbs of a good weight builder/performance pellet, 1lb oats, 1lb black oil sunflower seeds, 1cup corn oil and 1/2cup molasses. Twice a day.

This horse is now successfully eventing.

There is debate on whether the horses can absorb the fat from the sunflower seeds, but it worked.

AW poor kid, I'm glad she landed at your place! I can't add much to what your vet and you have already arrived at-I prefer some things to beet pulp but at the end of the day she's been transitioned onto it and is doing well so I'm not going to tell you to change it all up. If she's that young she will gain on anything you give her now. Amazing how people can let a horse get like that... I don't understand.

I worked at an equine surgery center and our "weight builder" formula was one coffee can of senior and two coffee cans of steamed rolled corn twice a day with free choice grass/alfalfa hay! It blew my hair back when I first saw it but we rehabbed a lot of thin horses on it with full vet approval.

Thanks for the great tips! I will have food be a great source for helping to get her used to haltering...I think I will get a bale of alfalfa instead of the pellets just because it's probably more palatable and seems good for her..I am going to be getting the barn ready today (adding more shavings and cleaning it out, need to go run get her a feed bucket!) I'll post weekly or monthly pictures to show the changes she will go through...and let you know the name!

I like Lucky Lady! My heart breaks but I know the family will help this baby come back....thanks everyone!!

We rehabbed a 28 year old gelding that came to us in that condition---in Feb. in Michigan.

I would be VERY careful with the grass. Even with our "normal" horses now we start them out with 5-10 minutes at a time 1-2 times a day and slowly work up to several hours at a time. You dont want her colicing or foundering.

I would give her lots of fresh water, a good loose salt, and as much free choice hay as she can eat---not sure I would go with all alfalfa but maybe 1 flake of alfalfa and the rest a good grass hay. Grain in small amounts if she is able to eat hay well.

Ultimate Finish is a great fat supplement that Buckeye makes that adds calories without making them hot.

Looks like you will also need the farrier out soon. It might take several trims to get her feet back in shape. Doing small amount more frequently is better for their feet than just trying to "fix" them in 1-2 trims.

Just watch her closely as she might not have been handled much and might kick, bite, or otherwise act up if scared or just doesn't know what is going on.

I like the oldsters to rehab but have fun iwth your young one.

Ottakee!

Right along my thoughts...I give my horses Buckeye Grow and Win, would that be okay to give to her? I give a cup two times a day...the rest they're on grass...I didn't think about 5-10 minutes! I was thinking of putting her out there for 2 hours at a time! I may need to rethink my plan! We have four paddocks, one is eaten down really low (I consider this my dry lot, but there is green out there they can nibble on- my other two need to LOSE weight so this has worked for them)..the other three paddocks are lush and 6 inches high of grasses/clover mix..one paddock has no clover just grass b/c I sprayed it with GRazeon..my horses get slobbers really bad if they eat too much clover...so I just removed it from one so their exposure could be limited.

The vet who has her now is going to sedate her for the trip out here (very mild) so that she's more manageable..I'll have my other horses in the back to paddocks but they can greet over the fence...her idea was to have her in a confined space b/c she thinks I will not be able to catch her if I do not, I just do not feel it would be good to stall her (she is used to being 'out') but to give her room to move so she feels more secure...having exits and such...my hope is that after she does get introduced into my herd she will follow their lead and go into her stall for buckeye twice a day and I can shut her in the stall for 10-15 minutes a day just so I can bring things in and get her used to haltering/handling/non-demanding time.

I so appreciate any insight I can get...I know I've been blessed with great horsey people around, I just like to have all my options/thoughts worked out before she gets her on Thursday!

Thanks!! I need to call my hay guy now! :)

Tara

Oh! Yes, farrier is already involved, he has been coming out every 4 weeks for my quarter horse (trying to avoid front shoes, but her feet are genetically compromised and the wet wet days we had last year gave her problems)....he's also the farrier who spent 4 hours just trimming two feet on my abused Walker..I'm so blessed to have him...I am taking pictures of her feet when she gets here so he can decide his plan and make a trip out after she's calmed a bit..

Buckeye Grow and Win is good stuff and I think that a cup twice a day would be fine for her. It is mostly just vitamins and minerals.

Ask the vet about introducing her to pasture. I would try to get her to eat as much hay as she will first, THEN go out to the pasture for her limited time, and then more hay. If she goes out with an empty belly she is more apt to overeat the grass.

Is she handlable where you could take her with a halter and lead rope out on the grass for her short time a few times a day and then lead her right back off? That might be ideal as she would associate you with getting to go to the grass. This might be easiest if you did that and then brought her in to grain so that you are the "nice" person.

Unless your other horses can eat the pasture and need that much, honestly, you might need to mow it down and then put her on it a day or 2 later (after the clippings have dried). I would be very hesitant to put a horse in such poor condition on such lush pasture right away. Over time, she might be able to handle it but not right away.

I might be overly cautious though and even with my guys who have been on grass since it first started growing this spring, I limit them to 1-2 hours on the "new" pasture when I open up a new one for the first day. Second day is a bit longer.

She might do OK on your eaten down/dry lot area.

She likely will learn to "follow the herd" esp. if it is coming in for grain time.

I have experience feeding oldsters and rehabbing that one but behavioral issues are not my area.

Thanks so much! It helps me greatly to think on all these things so that I am very careful with her care the first weeks.

I am thinking it will take me a good two weeks to get her familiar with touch/halter..the vet has had her a week and said she has only been able to worm her once because she does not like being handled...the only thing she has said is that she's spent some time rubbing the halter on her in an enclosed space, she has a small pen she keeps her in when she tries to work with her...

My stalls are 10x12 and I can start there...just cleaned them out, blew out all the dust/hay webs and put fresh shavings in there...I need to go get her a feed bucket. My neighbor is bushhogging the pastures this week..so hope that will help some, off to tractor supply to find a feed bucket and feed options for her..thanks everyone for the recipes!! I'm keeping molasses/oats on hand! :)

Update!!

She is doing GREAT!! Such a sweetheart!! They brought her mother here and had her haltered to lead her out, daughter followed....my horses did not even realize they were here for about 20 minutes...(a little too focused on their green pasture I put them in!)...when they realized there was some neighing and hinnying...when her mother left she whinnied for about 5 minutes...doing a beautiful walk back and forth to my horses and to the front where her mother left.

My horses calmed her down, she stayed next to them at the gate and there was a moment where they hung all their heads down together, soo sweet!! Then they started grooming her and she calmed down quickly...they would not leave each other's side...my horse instructor came to help and we decided to try to let them in with each other (they had been quarantined 3-4 weeks at the vet's place) they did great for 10 minutes, just grazing, but then my gelding wanted to get lovey with her and my bossy mare did not want that, so she turned to kick him-he moved and a foot landed on the little one..we decided she is 1. too young to see Lena's phases (she def. gave them) and 2. too thin to withstand much kicking..she was not hurt, I'm sure she'll be a bit sore, but she's walking fine...we're just taking precautions to keep them separated by a pasture until she can put more weight on....vet said she's a solid 3 on the body scale right now, but was a 1-2 when they got her the first of June.

I think she'll be a great weight diversion for my horses....they won't eat, they just want to hang out and groom her when she lets them...she's in a section of my pasture that has been eaten down to nubs..but she's still preferring what little blades she gets to the hay....she eats apples/carrots out of your hand but I'm out tomorrow to find some higher calorie options..I read on a university handout for rehabbing neglected horses that Buckeye's strong finish is higher in fats and was recommended..I have gro n win which she did eat...but thinking of getting her the strong finish one....

She is painfully thin, but active and alert...I was able to work with her in the stall (she followed right in after they went into theirs) and she allowed me to put the rope over her neck and yielded to the pressure of me pulling it..she lets me rub her neck/up to her pole and licked and chewed many times...a good start!!! smile.gif

Thanks for all your help! Sadly, I found out she came from a herd of 7 but 4 died the past few months from starvation :( The vet saved her and her mother but could not get their stallion..my heart breaks!!

Oh! And we're thinking of Liberty as a name for her..."we'll take your poor, weary, hungry...." that pretty much describes our farm and how she looks and she's coming so close to the 4th of July....my daughter said she looked like Beauty in Beauty and the Beast, when she was so overwhelmed by the new pastures/Beasts :)

Is that her now? If so, I would have hated to see her when she first came in. I would put the weight on slow but sure. If she will let you, start hand walking her around---at first in the fence and then maybe later outside the fence. It will be a long time before she is ready to train to ride. Sweet face.

Thanks Ottiakee..

Thinking she is only three, maybe younger? My horse dentist won't be out for another year so I won't know for sure until then, he's GREAT he can pick the birth within months....

I was in the stall tonight and she allows me to rub her neck and chest...she is sooo painfully thin that it makes me almost nauseous and tear up...I sing to her and that calms us both down...I really could harm someone who would do this to animals..

Here is a picture of her backside..she has eaten every bit of grass down to the nub in the 80x20 area I have her in...so I think I will let her graze in my lushy pasture tomorrow for about 20 minutes..she has full access to hay but only eats half what I put out preferring the green stuff she can find...I am going to go buy some alfalfa and see if that gets her eating more...here are two more pictures to show her condition....vet said she was a solid three, but I'm thinking more 2-3.. :(

elizascameraLiberty263.jpg

elizascameraLiberty236.jpg

She still looks pretty thin to me. I am sure she would like more grass. If you can do it, even 2-3 or more times a day for short amounts of time would be good. That would give her more hands on handling as well as more grass but in limited amounts.

In her condition I would worry about her gaining too much too fast or not being able to handle a lot of rich grass. I was told to watch her manure and if it gets really loose to back off the grass a bit until it is more normal and then slowly increase it again.

I would ask the vet about a senior feed as it has more nutrition with less sugars. I know she is young but right now she needs a lot of nutrition. A feed for junior horses might work too but I dont' know much about those. The Buckeye Ultimate Finish might really help her put on the weight as well. We fed 1 cup twice a day. I know you can go higher though.

Keep us posted on how she does.

I love the name Liberty!!!

If she's a 3' date=' I'd hate to see a 1 or 2. :(

She has a very sweet face and will be an absolute beauty. :)[/quote']

:iagree: I just caught up on this thread. A 3? I can't imagine looking any thinner.

Kudos for saving her and giving her a future!