Menu

How to Teach Spelling for 8th grade?... Need quick & effective help w/spelling

I have a child going into 8th grade this coming year, and she needs help with spelling. (Wonderful test scores on most everything except spelling :confused:)

This dc has a FULL schedule next school year. I need something quick and effective. I've tried using Spelling Power... didn't work. Megawords is pretty good, but I have 3 kids.... it will be expensive in the long run.

What about How to Teach Spelling?

I've read most of the posts where this is discussed, and I've seen some samples. My question.... can an 8th grader use this effectively in say 15 minutes/day and hopefully fill in any spelling/rules gaps missed in the younger grades? I'm hoping this will be a way to give concentrated focus and *power-learn* spelling over her 8th grade year.

How much teacher involvement is needed? I know there are dictation exercises, but besides that, I think it can be done independently.

I really think dictation makes spelling stick. On the other hand, it's going to mean she'll have to wait for me to help her with it. This is the biggest problem that I can see.

Thoughts???

If not HTTS, please make other recommendations based on the very limited amount of time we'll have for spelling.

Thanks!!!

My 12yo (just finishing 7th grade) has been using The Spell of Words. While she is not dyslexic, she was slow to learn to read. She has "caught up" in reading and writing but was still struggling with spelling. I did not tell her that it was a book for struggling spellers, just that it was a book designed for middle school :001_smile: I also told her that she had plenty of time to finish the book as I wanted her to feel comfortable with doing plenty of review if she needed it, so she only got through 3/4 of the book and will finish it next year. However, it is not long at all and I think it would be very doable in one year for an 8th grader.

I have seen a big improvement with her spelling this year. She does it independently and I actually do not test her, just check up on how she is doing. This has lowered the stress level for her and, maybe, has freed her to do a better job, if that makes sense? The exercises and short writing assignments have been very effective, I think!

hth

My 12yo (just finishing 7th grade) has been using The Spell of Words. While she is not dyslexic, she was slow to learn to read. She has "caught up" in reading and writing but was still struggling with spelling. I did not tell her that it was a book for struggling spellers, just that it was a book designed for middle school :001_smile: I also told her that she had plenty of time to finish the book as I wanted her to feel comfortable with doing plenty of review if she needed it, so she only got through 3/4 of the book and will finish it next year. However, it is not long at all and I think it would be very doable in one year for an 8th grader.

I have seen a big improvement with her spelling this year. She does it independently and I actually do not test her, just check up on how she is doing. This has lowered the stress level for her and, maybe, has freed her to do a better job, if that makes sense? The exercises and short writing assignments have been very effective, I think!

hth

Lisa and Mommy of Grace, do you think the words are "hard" enough in the books you are suggesting?

HTTS seems to start with easy words but is incremental and builds to harder words.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

my oldest will be entering 9th grade in the fall. Her test scores are also advanced across the board. However, writing is a lower advanced than the other scores and I know it is because of spelling. She has always struggled somewhat with spelling.

I have used Spell to Write and Read with her - excellent, but too intensive for this year. I also owned and plan to use How to Teach Spelling, but never did use it. It runs along the same vein as SWR, but I thought would be more simplified. It is in some regards, but not simple enough that 15 minutes a day would warrant the effectiveness you seek, IMHO.

I agree with the last poster who spoke about spelling champs learning the root words and building from there. I do find myself encouraging my dd to find the root and then spell the derivative. I've been thinking that some kind of root word program would be most beneficial, but haven't found anything yet.

My oldest is using Apples Daily Spelling drills through the summer, which takes about 15 minutes. I think it's excellent review, but we still need more in depth 'study' for the school year.

I wish I could be more help. I'm searching also and will certainly share if I find anything that seems especially worthwhile.

I have also purchased Spelling Plus...I think that's the name of it...the most frequently misspelled words by high school students.

I'm off to check out the Spell of Words...

this looks like a great option. The concept is similar to HTTS and SWR, but simplified. You were asking about whether or not the words seem hard enough. This program might work nicely as a foundation and then you could use specific word lists...like the most frequently misspelled words by high school students or words from writing, other published lists, etc., and plug those into the 'rules' or pages where they fit in The Spell of Words. A vocabulary program might even work well with this program.

Thank you to the poster who shared this program!

my oldest will be entering 9th grade in the fall. Her test scores are also advanced across the board. However, writing is a lower advanced than the other scores and I know it is because of spelling. She has always struggled somewhat with spelling.

I have used Spell to Write and Read with her - excellent, but too intensive for this year. I also owned and plan to use How to Teach Spelling, but never did use it. It runs along the same vein as SWR, but I thought would be more simplified. It is in some regards, but not simple enough that 15 minutes a day would warrant the effectiveness you seek, IMHO.

I agree with the last poster who spoke about spelling champs learning the root words and building from there. I do find myself encouraging my dd to find the root and then spell the derivative. I've been thinking that some kind of root word program would be most beneficial, but haven't found anything yet.

My oldest is using Apples Daily Spelling drills through the summer, which takes about 15 minutes. I think it's excellent review, but we still need more in depth 'study' for the school year.

I wish I could be more help. I'm searching also and will certainly share if I find anything that seems especially worthwhile.

I have also purchased Spelling Plus...I think that's the name of it...the most frequently misspelled words by high school students.

I'm off to check out the Spell of Words...

Oooooh, thanks so much for posting this. I haven't clicked the "purchase" button yet but have HTTS in a cart at Rainbow.

My younger sons have used Apples and Pears. It realy is good if you want to check it out. It teaches spelling using morphemes and also throws in several rules, yet it isn't really a rules based program. The down side is that it is not independent. It takes the teacher, but I wouldn't say it's intensive. The last book (D) has the student writing fairly complicated words. I also like A&P because it uses dictation. I've become a fan of this.

Back to my 8th grader, I think I need something more than Apples and Pears. Something that reviews more spelling concepts like HTTS. (Megawords seems very good, like I said at first.... just takes too much time to complete the entire series of 8 books and seems expensive compared to something else that just has to be out there....:tongue_smilie:)

I, too, have a struggling speller.

We just started Spelling Plus by Susan Anthony along with her dictation book. It contains the 1000 most commonly used words, including those most spelled incorrectly in high school(although it is written for K-6).

I started back near the beginning, and we are testing through each level, just to make sure we fill in the cracks. We are also doing lots of dictation with Susan's book. The sentences are easy, but that is not the point. The point is to get your child to the point where they don't have to think about how to spell a word - it is just automatic. Susan does recommend her dictation book as a starting point, stating that they are beginning sentences. She encourages you to spend the time making your own sentences, utilizing the time to work on other language skills. She gives lots of ideas in her book. Her recommendations are similar to SWB's, in that she recommends adding things like contractions, until they are automatic, then moving on to adding possessives. Dictation is an important step between learning how to spell a word and actually using it in your writing.

I have 5 children between 6 and 12, and I am concerned about the time that dictation will take, so right now, we are doing it before my daughter goes to bed, as she is up a little later than the rest. She knows she needs to improve her spelling and is willing to work hard. I think that your child needs to understand the importance of spelling, and they need to understand that for some people it comes easy, and for the rest, they have to work hard to achieve spelling proficiency. When we start our full school schedule in the fall, I will use a digital recorder to record my daughter's dictation, so that she can do it independently, to save time in my busy schedule.

I hope this makes sense, as I haven't had my daily quota of coffee yet.

ETA: I have emailed Susan and she has been very helpful, so you might do that if you have any questions.

Edited by Roxy Roller
Adding content

Lisa and Mommy of Grace, do you think the words are "hard" enough in the books you are suggesting?

HTTS seems to start with easy words but is incremental and builds to harder words.

Hmmm.....when I chose this program I was not looking for something that would teach her to spell spell harder words. I was looking for something that would teach her rules and principles that she could apply to most words but did not have a word-list format (she was too dependent on me and got frustrated) or a list-per-week format (she could never keep up and got very frustrated). I liked that it was based on the Orton-Gillingham approach and she liked that it did not talk to her like she was a baby but was still not overwhelming with long word lists or 36 week schedules.

My oldest is a natural speller (we dropped spelling in the 6th grade) and my second did very well with the Phonetic Zoo) and it took me a year or two to figure out what this child really needed.

Since there are a few different reasons that children struggle with spelling, finding the reason (or reasons!) helps in choosing the best curriculum/approach for a particular child. Maybe you could share why you think she struggles?

We just started Spelling Plus by Susan Anthony along with her dictation book. It contains the 1000 most commonly used words, including those most spelled incorrectly in high school(although it is written for K-6).

I used this with my daughter in the 6th grade - it was excellent, I thought, but too teacher dependent for my daughter. If she was a less difficult child :glare: we would have stayed with it.

Since there are a few different reasons that children struggle with spelling, finding the reason (or reasons!) helps in choosing the best curriculum/approach for a particular child. Maybe you could share why you think she struggles?

Lisa, I think it is a part phonics and part rule problem. Beyond that, however, sometimes she just..... forgets. Sometimes I just wonder, "This is an easy word that you should have known.... How did you misspell it?" Could it be laziness??? Maybe.

There isn't a "good" reason that I can think of why she should have trouble with spelling. She doesn't have any trouble reading or doing math, etc... so I wouldn't imagine it is an "eye" problem.

I think a combination of seeing the correct spelling and understanding the rules behind the spelling will help her. Dictation would help her put correct spelling into practice.

I started wondering about Sequential Spelling. I don't know if this would be a help or not. Wouldn't this start with root words and add pre-fixes and suffixes? It isn't so much rule based I don't think, so this might not be what I'm looking for.

Is there such a thing that would be a combination of Sequential Spelling and The Spell of Words??? That way she would see how words are constructed AND learn why the construction is correct.

hth

This looks fantastic! Just what I'm looking for to use with my older kids!

I want them to learn the rules and going through all the levels in AAS will take way too long! They know most of the phonograms and a lot of the rules because we have done a mish mash of WRTR for the past two years. I'd love for them to review it all and really cement them in their minds.

In your opinion, would this work for a 5th, 6th and 9th grader? Obviously the words would be too easy for my ninth grader. That doesn't bother me. I just want him to get all the rules down. Do you think this would work? It looks like it is written to the student. I love that. Do you find that your daughter can work pretty independently? I've been looking for so long for a book like this! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to hear your experience with it.

Renee

I have a child going into 8th grade this coming year, and she needs help with spelling. (Wonderful test scores on most everything except spelling :confused:)

This dc has a FULL schedule next school year. I need something quick and effective. I've tried using Spelling Power... didn't work. Megawords is pretty good, but I have 3 kids.... it will be expensive in the long run.

What about How to Teach Spelling?

I've read most of the posts where this is discussed, and I've seen some samples. My question.... can an 8th grader use this effectively in say 15 minutes/day and hopefully fill in any spelling/rules gaps missed in the younger grades? I'm hoping this will be a way to give concentrated focus and *power-learn* spelling over her 8th grade year.

How much teacher involvement is needed? I know there are dictation exercises, but besides that, I think it can be done independently.

I really think dictation makes spelling stick. On the other hand, it's going to mean she'll have to wait for me to help her with it. This is the biggest problem that I can see.

Thoughts???

If not HTTS, please make other recommendations based on the very limited amount of time we'll have for spelling.

Thanks!!!

My ds12 struggled tremendously in spelling. I started him in Rod and Staff spelling last year, and he's probably my best speller now! It's easy to implement and he did his independently, asking me questions when necessary. You might want to check it out. It's also reasonable in price!

My ds12 struggled tremendously in spelling. I started him in Rod and Staff spelling last year, and he's probably my best speller now! It's easy to implement and he did his independently, asking me questions when necessary. You might want to check it out. It's also reasonable in price!

What level of Rod and Staff spelling did you use? I have a dd 12 who is also a weak speller and since we are switching to R&S grammar I am interested in the spelling portion also. I just don't know where to place her. :001_smile:

What level of Rod and Staff spelling did you use? I have a dd 12 who is also a weak speller and since we are switching to R&S grammar I am interested in the spelling portion also. I just don't know where to place her. :001_smile:

I ended up choosing his grade level which was 6th last year. I was a bit concerned about the words being too much, but he managed well. There were some difficult ones, but we just practiced more on those. I was happy at the end of the year because I felt like he was "up to par" on his spelling.

I ended up choosing his grade level which was 6th last year. I was a bit concerned about the words being too much, but he managed well. There were some difficult ones, but we just practiced more on those. I was happy at the end of the year because I felt like he was "up to par" on his spelling.

Thank you! I will take a look at the programs close to her grade level. Did you get the whole set of books including teacher's manual, or just the student book?

I know it's not a "spelling" program, but it introduces new words every week and requires that the student write the word multiple times throughout the week. It is very easy for me to implement. My daughter does it all herself and i monitor and test. It is a workbook program that she actually enjoys.

hth

Lisa, Would you tell me more about The Spell of Words.... how you use this?

I have looked at the samples. (Nothing is like holding a book in your hands). I would love to know what your schedule is like. On Monday, what happens in spelling; on Tuesday, etc... In the sample, the student learns a rule but I don't see what happens next. Does a word list follow that *could* be tested if the parent wanted to?

The first time I looked at it, I just saw the student book. My comment about the difficulty of words was based only on that. Later, I saw the teacher's manual. The words are more age appropriate than I first thought, and there is dictation. I feel better about this now.

HTTS has the student mark words: divide into syllables, label consonants/vowels, spelling patterns, open/closed syllables, etc... Does The Spell of Words do anything like this? I did see a couple of pages where the student practices the rule, but does the student do anything more? I just can't tell from looking at the samples.

I read on Exodus Books that The Spell of Words teaches about morphemes. I love this. Apples and Pears which my sons use teaches how to break down words into morphemes, and they have come a long way in spelling this year. (I am hoping to find something more comprehensive for my 8th grader... otherwise, I'm sure she could/would benefit from Apples and Pears too.)

I'm still trying to decide. I've known about How to Teach Spelling since last year when I seriously thought about using it and decided against it. I've wondered ever since if I made a mistake by not going with it. Instead, we went with Megawords. Dd enjoyed that, but I would really like to find something more concentrated that can be accomplished in a year.

ETA: I've been reading and reading and reading... :) GENERALLY from what I'm learning...Apples and Pears teaches morphemes. HTTS teaches rules. Morphemes help a student with spelling because spelling at its basic level is based on memorization, and learning how a word is constructed (learning its most basic parts) helps with memorization. Learning how to spell based on rules alone may not help with spelling in the long run because many spellings are EXCEPTIONS to the rules. Once a student understands how a word is constructed via morphemes, then a rules based study would be a great supplement to such a good foundation.

My problem.... dd is going into 8th grade, and I don't feel like there is enough time to go all the way through at least Apples and Pears books C and D and then following with HTTS . Is The Spell of Words a good combination of both morpheme and rule study???

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Oh, I am so sorry that I can't be as specific as you would like right now. We are putting in a new kitchen (demo starts tomorrow!!!) and all the kids schoolwork is boxed up and in a giant pile in my son's bedroom. I am using their school cabinet as a temporary kitchen (microwave, toaster, coffee maker and loooots of paper goods).

After church I can take a look. If the school box is near the top of the pile I can get out the book and describe a few assignments. If it is on the bottom I won't be able to without my husband having a nervous breakdown. Well, maybe not that bad! But close - he hates all this upheaval and would be more stressed if I messed up the order he has been able to create within the chaos, kwim?

Anyway, I will post again this afternoon.

Oh, I am so sorry that I can't be as specific as you would like right now. We are putting in a new kitchen (demo starts tomorrow!!!) and all the kids schoolwork is boxed up and in a giant pile in my son's bedroom. I am using their school cabinet as a temporary kitchen (microwave, toaster, coffee maker and loooots of paper goods).

After church I can take a look. If the school box is near the top of the pile I can get out the book and describe a few assignments. If it is on the bottom I won't be able to without my husband having a nervous breakdown. Well, maybe not that bad! But close - he hates all this upheaval and would be more stressed if I messed up the order he has been able to create within the chaos, kwim?

Anyway, I will post again this afternoon.

Oh my! No pressure! I'm just trying to get a better feel for what is in that book that I cannot see and a sense of a schedule. Any help at all would be appreciated.:001_smile:

Sweet home alabama, just chiming in to say that my dd finished WRTR half-way thru last year and I moved her into R&S spelling 7. Levels 7 & 8 have dual purposes. They teach both spelling and vocabulary. A 20 word list is given at the beginning of the week with specific Latin or Greek roots, prefixes, or suffixes. It's then followed by exercises that really make the student think about how the word is used, so they are getting continual exposure with that list of words thru the wk. On Day 5 (Fri), I give the test, which is simply sentences from the TM that I dictate. Everything else my dd does independently.

Whatever program you choose, I would highly recommend that you have dc keep a log of misspelled worlds. If you can get a WRTR 5th edition manual from the library, there's a list of spelling rules on pgs. 223-225. Get him/her to memorize the rules and apply the rules to the misspelled words. It might help both of you determine where weaknesses are.

HTH and good luck in finding what you need!

Jennifer

Sweet home alabama, just chiming in to say that my dd finished WRTR half-way thru last year and I moved her into R&S spelling 7. Levels 7 & 8 have dual purposes. They teach both spelling and vocabulary. A 20 word list is given at the beginning of the week with specific Latin or Greek roots, prefixes, or suffixes. It's then followed by exercises that really make the student think about how the word is used, so they are getting continual exposure with that list of words thru the wk. On Day 5 (Fri), I give the test, which is simply sentences from the TM that I dictate. Everything else my dd does independently.

Whatever program you choose, I would highly recommend that you have dc keep a log of misspelled worlds. If you can get a WRTR 5th edition manual from the library, there's a list of spelling rules on pgs. 223-225. Get him/her to memorize the rules and apply the rules to the misspelled words. It might help both of you determine where weaknesses are.

HTH and good luck in finding what you need!

Jennifer

Thank you, Jennifer! You are the second person who has recommended Rod and Staff. I do admit that it looks good. I'm going to have to take another look at it.

• 1 month later...
I, too, have a struggling speller.

I started back near the beginning, and we are testing through each level, just to make sure we fill in the cracks. We are also doing lots of dictation with Susan's book. The sentences are easy, but that is not the point. The point is to get your child to the point where they don't have to think about how to spell a word - it is just automatic. Susan does recommend her dictation book as a starting point, stating that they are beginning sentences. She encourages you to spend the time making your own sentences, utilizing the time to work on other language skills. She gives lots of ideas in her book. Her recommendations are similar to SWB's, in that she recommends adding things like contractions, until they are automatic, then moving on to adding possessives. Dictation is an important step between learning how to spell a word and actually using it in your writing.

I have 5 children between 6 and 12, and I am concerned about the time that dictation will take, so right now, we are doing it before my daughter goes to bed, as she is up a little later than the rest. She knows she needs to improve her spelling and is willing to work hard. I think that your child needs to understand the importance of spelling, and they need to understand that for some people it comes easy, and for the rest, they have to work hard to achieve spelling proficiency. When we start our full school schedule in the fall, I will use a digital recorder to record my daughter's dictation, so that she can do it independently, to save time in my busy schedule.

I hope this makes sense, as I haven't had my daily quota of coffee yet.

ETA: I have emailed Susan and she has been very helpful, so you might do that if you have any questions.

I plan on using Spelling Plus with my 7th grader this year. My dh had a great idea to put the dictation on ds's ipod. -Surely there's an app for that!