Menu

ADHD & Diet - Study published in the Lancet

It's interesting that you posted this today. This morning, my 9 yo's focus was so off that she could not accurately repeat 2 syllable words after me. I was thinking about what was different this morning, and realized that she ate a hamburger for breakfast - the processed frozen kind that my dh buys. I called him and asked him please not to buy them anymore, because I think dd is sensitive to the preservatives or something in the hamburgers.

We've had great results with diet modifications and supplements this past year with DS (he has Asperger's, sensory integration issues, and is hyperactive, although there is no official dx for the hyperactivity).

After completing IgG blood testing for food sensitivities, we removed wheat (gluten), milk (casein), eggs, peanuts, soy and 7 other foods as well as all artificial colors/flavors/preservatives, MSG, and HFCS. He's been off of all of these foods and additives since last October. During that same time, we also started a supplement regimen (specific vitamins, minerals, probiotics, and enzymes) that we continue to tweak. He has never been on any medications.

The result: he is much calmer now, has a generally positive mood, his aggression is greatly reduced, he's slower to get upset, and is much easier to redirect. Other positive changes that have occurred since we started all this are elimination of his allergies (we thought they were seasonal/environmental as did his pediatrician - they were apparently food-related), significantly improved eye contact (it's normal now - but he really struggled with it previously), and some reduction in his oral fixations (he used to put EVERYTHING in his mouth).

I'm definitely a believer in the diet connection... :)

I'm glad to see that they are doing (and publishing) research about food and diets for children. Our grocery stores out here are really labeling gluten free products a lot better, which I think would be helpful to ASD and ADD families who were following the wheat free/gluten free/casein free diet.

I was wondering why the study in Lancet didn't also mention artificial food coloring? I thought that there were also studies out there about dyes, especially red dyes, and hyperactivity. My son (who does not have ADD, just an excess of energy!) and I did an experiment about this that was really eye opening for him. Here's the link:

http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com/2011/06/13/science-in-the-kitchen/

We've had great results with diet modifications and supplements this past year with DS (he has Asperger's, sensory integration issues, and is hyperactive)

After completing IgG blood testing for food sensitivities, we removed wheat (gluten), milk (casein), eggs, peanuts, soy and 7 other foods as well as all artificial colors/flavors/preservatives, MSG, and HFCS.

I'm definitely a believer in the diet connection... :)

Same thing happened here! We did IgG food allergy testing on all 3 of my girls.. All 3 girls were reacting to gluten and casein.. But my 8yr old was also reacting to soy. She is also my child with the most severe issues (severe OCD, ADHD, aggression, behavior problems, struggling learner, etc.). She is a million times improved now that she is 100% gluten, casein, and soy free.. But if she has the slightest infraction of gluten, it all comes back FULL FORCE. It's like night and day. We do let small bits of casein and soy sneak through OCCASSIONALLY now that she's been gluten free for nearly 2 years. She does react slightly, but it's tolerable. Gluten sends her spiraling out of control so we strictly avoid it. Gluten is evil here.

My 4yr old son started gluten free and mostly dairy free at a very young age and he no longer has any signs of being on the spectrum. Very normal child today. That wasn't the case when he was two though. He was socially distant, missed all his social milestones (didn't wave bye bye or point), obsessively lined up toys (mostly cars) and everything else, rocked back and forth a lot (daily), etc. He would just sit around making elaborate designs on the floor out of this and that, while doing repetitive motor movements at the same time (flicking his ear and "patting" the side of his head over and over, which he did all the way up until we removed gluten). Very different child today and I give full credit to diet change. He did not have classic autism (his speech was fine.. even advanced).. But he was headed for an Asperger's diagnosis just like his sisters. If I took him in to be evaluated for Asperger's today, they would laugh at me! I'm anxious to see how he is around age 8 or 9.. that's when Aspie symptoms really start to shine in most kids.. I doubt that he is 100% neurotypical, given his history and family history.. But for now, he seems very neurotypical.

Same thing happened here! We did IgG food allergy testing on all 3 of my girls.. All 3 girls were reacting to gluten and casein..

My 4yr old son started gluten free and mostly dairy free at a very young age and he no longer has any signs of being on the spectrum. Very normal child today.

That's wonderful that you've had such great results with your kids! The more I learn about biomedical treatments for spectrum disorders, see the results with DS, and hear from other parents what a difference it's made for their kids, the more encouraged I am to stick with it. Working around numerous dietary restrictions and keeping on top of supplements can be tedious, but it's so worth it...

My ADHD'er tested positive to 27 out of 35 foods tested. He also has asthma, eczema, oral allergy syndrome, reflux, and anaphylactic food allergies.

We have avoided egg, soy, wheat, dairy, peanuts/tree nuts, and fish/shellfish for quite awhile now. We even tried gluten free in addition and he has been on an elimination diet. It's been a long journey.

He basically eats rice, corn, or potatoes for starch, frozen veggies, and unprocessed meats.

I would like to see more studies on how ADHD and ASD's are similar. I have one of each, but one gets prescribed accommodations and meds, the other gets prescribed therapies.

Have you read this book? I think it is so interesting how the author thinks ASD, Autism, Asthma, and Allergies relate to each other.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Childhood-Epidemics-Groundbreaking/dp/0345494512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308968611&sr=8-1

We just did IgG testing on our son and eliminated all gluten (he reacted to all gluten grains but not any others) and dairy. Ds had a reaction of 1 of 3 to them which is the lowest level but he has improved some with GFCF and is trying to talk more.

Interesting! We had my 5yo allergy tested but came up negative. He had a piñata fest on tue and has been so impulsive and moody since the that this makes me wonder. Is igg testing the skin prick back testing done by an allergist or is this something different?

Have you read this book? I think it is so interesting how the author thinks ASD, Autism, Asthma, and Allergies relate to each other.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Childhood-Epidemics-Groundbreaking/dp/0345494512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308968611&sr=8-1

That's the book that got us started... I've read others on the topic since then, but I still think this one is the best!

Interesting! We had my 5yo allergy tested but came up negative. He had a piñata fest on tue and has been so impulsive and moody since the that this makes me wonder. Is igg testing the skin prick back testing done by an allergist or is this something different?

No, the skin prick testing, which looks for IgE-mediated allergies, will not show these sorts of intolerances/sensitivities. You need IgG testing to rule out intolerances/sensitivities. We did our testing through Great Plains Labs http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com Mainstream doctors do not do this testing yet.

Oh, without a doubt, they are all related. I have that book too and it is a wealth of info.

More good books...

The Autism & ADHD Diet http://www.amazon.com/Autism-ADHD-Diet-Step---Step/dp/1402218451/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308980086&sr=1-1

The Kid-Friendly ADHD & Autism Cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Kid-Friendly-Autism-Cookbook-Updated-Revised/dp/159233394X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308980008&sr=8-1

Was there any information on what the diet was? Before the Turkey and Rice phase?

If you google elimination diet you will get a lot of ideas.

I personally think it is best to do one that includes rotation of food so you can see different reactions to different days of food.

The elimination diets are all similar, but for someone with an Asian background, rice would also be eliminated. Basically, anything you eat a lot of should be eliminated as well as highly allergenic foods--the top 8 food allergens.

If you add in a rotation, a few days might look like this:

D1. Sweet potatoes, lamb, lettuce, coconut oil, bananas

D2. Millet, turkey, squash, olive oil, star fruit

D3. Quinoa, buffalo, pears, a veggie you don't eat often, palm oil (spectrum organic shortening.)

You need at least 4 different days of foods, then you start over at D1. You feel worse at first, but then great after a week to 10 days if it is going to help.

Was there any information on what the diet was? Before the Turkey and Rice phase?

If you are going to do an elimination diet, I would eliminate the top 8 allergens, wait about a month, and then start adding them back in one at a time. Keep in mind that IgG allergies are DELAYED allergies.. It could take anywhere from 2 days to a week to see behaviors associated with IgG sensitivities. Your best bet is to do IgG food allergy testing. This will give you a list of exactly which foods need eliminated.

OR you can eliminate based on hunches.. If you think dairy is an issue, eliminate it and see what happens. My daughter improved DRAMATICALLY within 3 days of eliminating dairy. With gluten, you won't see an immediate improvement like with dairy because it takes several weeks to leave the system.. but over time, the improvements are so amazing. Soy and corn can be problems for some kids.. If your child has dark circles under the eyes, is aggressive, and extremely hyperactive, then definitely try eliminating soy. My 8yr old daughter has to be gluten, dairy, and soy free per her IgG blood test results AND per her severe behavioral reactions to these foods.

If you are going to do an elimination diet, I would eliminate the top 8 allergens, wait about a month, and then start adding them back in one at a time. Keep in mind that IgG allergies are DELAYED allergies.. It could take anywhere from 2 days to a week to see behaviors associated with IgG sensitivities. Your best bet is to do IgG food allergy testing. This will give you a list of exactly which foods need eliminated.

OR you can eliminate based on hunches.. If you think dairy is an issue, eliminate it and see what happens. My daughter improved DRAMATICALLY within 3 days of eliminating dairy. With gluten, you won't see an immediate improvement like with dairy because it takes several weeks to leave the system.. but over time, the improvements are so amazing. Soy and corn can be problems for some kids.. If your child has dark circles under the eyes, is aggressive, and extremely hyperactive, then definitely try eliminating soy. My 8yr old daughter has to be gluten, dairy, and soy free per her IgG blood test results AND per her severe behavioral reactions to these foods.

How did you do the blood collection for the IgG testing? Do the dried drops really work? Somehow I'm skeptical about that part.

How did you do the blood collection for the IgG testing? Do the dried drops really work? Somehow I'm skeptical about that part.

Well, if you go through Great Plains Labs, they send you a blood collection kit.. You take the kit to any local lab along with your doctor order and test requisition form. They draw the blood, and then send the serum directly back to Great Plains Lab for you. You are not allowed to take the blood and send it yourself. The lab sends it for you.

We did not do the dried blood test. We did the blood serum. I believe that is the one done the most and most recommended.

Well, if you go through Great Plains Labs, they send you a blood collection kit.. You take the kit to any local lab along with your doctor order and test requisition form. They draw the blood, and then send the serum directly back to Great Plains Lab for you. You are not allowed to take the blood and send it yourself. The lab sends it for you.

We did not do the dried blood test. We did the blood serum. I believe that is the one done the most and most recommended.

Did your regular doctor provide the order? How much were the lab fees?

Thank you.:)

Did your regular doctor provide the order? How much were the lab fees?

Yes, which ever doctor signs your test requisition form is the doctor you want to ask for a lab order for the blood draw.. Some labs don't require it and can just refer to the test requisition form, but you want to have it just in case (or at least call the lab ahead of time and ask). Then you just take everything to the lab (test kit, order from the doctor, and the completed test requisition form). They draw the blood, then mail the serum out to Great Plains Labs using the Fed-ex envelope that Great Plains provides. The lab we used acted like they did that sort of thing all the time. They didn't 2nd guess it.

The blood draw was about $6, but our insurance (Tricare) paid for that. Just show them your insurance card and see what they can do.

If you can't find a doctor to sign the test requisition form, then you can do the MyMedLab option. This is an on-line company that fascilitates testing for you, eliminating the need for a doctor's signature. The only draw back for MyMedLab is you can't file with insurance. Our insurance paid 100% of IgG testing for all 3 of my girls so if Great Plains files with your insurance, you really want to push for that doctor signature. ANY doctor will do. Otherwise, you can find the MyMedLab option at the Great Plains website. Here it is.. http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/mymedlab.asp

Another option, if Great Plains looks too pricey, is Alletess.. The total cost to do IgG testing with them would be around $130 if I remember right. http://www.foodallergy.com

Yes, which ever doctor signs your test requisition form is the doctor you want to ask for a lab order for the blood draw.. Some labs don't require it and can just refer to the test requisition form, but you want to have it just in case (or at least call the lab ahead of time and ask). Then you just take everything to the lab (test kit, order from the doctor, and the completed test requisition form). They draw the blood, then mail the serum out to Great Plains Labs using the Fed-ex envelope that Great Plains provides. The lab we used acted like they did that sort of thing all the time. They didn't 2nd guess it.

The blood draw was about $6, but our insurance (Tricare) paid for that. Just show them your insurance card and see what they can do.

If you can't find a doctor to sign the test requisition form, then you can do the MyMedLab option. This is an on-line company that fascilitates testing for you, eliminating the need for a doctor's signature. The only draw back for MyMedLab is you can't file with insurance. Our insurance paid 100% of IgG testing for all 3 of my girls so if Great Plains files with your insurance, you really want to push for that doctor signature. ANY doctor will do. Otherwise, you can find the MyMedLab option at the Great Plains website. Here it is.. http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/mymedlab.asp

Another option, if Great Plains looks too pricey, is Alletess.. The total cost to do IgG testing with them would be around $130 if I remember right. http://www.foodallergy.com

I think with our insurance, this would be out-of-network, which means we would probably have to pay thousands of dollars for blood tests before our insurance would kick in.:lol:

Am I the only one who thinks this is funny?

Of course, to find a doctor to sign the form would probably require me to see some one out of network too, so at least I could meet the deductible faster.

I wish I had a friend who was a doctor. Of course, the insurance company would get in the way of that happy relationship, I'm sure.:glare:

I suppose I could just talk to our pediatrician again...What's the harm in it anyway?

I suppose I could just talk to our pediatrician again...What's the harm in it anyway?

Our pediatrician signed it for two of my girls. My other daughter was seeing a DAN doctor at the time and he signed it for her. But I just approached our pedi matter-of-factly.. Told her this is what I want done, my insurance has already cleared it, and all I need is her signature. I was ready to fight for it. But she signed it no problem.