Menu

American Folk and Patriotic CD

There's Wee Sing America, but I don't know how much folk music is on there.

I think there's a good bit of folk music on the Wee Sing America CD ... my children really love it ... I have to stop playing it for a while after July because they will ask to listen to it - and only it - every time we go somewhere in the car.

I have a couple of wonderful CDs - The Mormon Tabernacle Choir "God Bless America" and The Boston Pops Orchestra "America the Beautiful". THey aren't child-centered, but especially the Mormon Tabernacle Choir has arrangements of "America the Beautiful" all the military hymns, "Stars and Stripes Forever", "Shenandoah" and a lot of other traditional American songs. I just get choked up every time I listen to that CD it is so well done.

I confess, I got so fed up that I took a score book out of the library with a giant number of folk songs and recorded myself singing the ones I knew.

I have a less than mediocre voice.

No one has listened to them yet but it made me feel better!

Oh, oh, oh!! I know this one! Phil Rosenthal! We love his cd's of folksongs. Clear, not "twangy." Sometimes children join in but they're never cutesy. Just genuine folk songs.

Listen to the samples for this one: Green Grass Grew All Around.

Or Favorite American Folk Songs.

Also love his Animal Songs cd, but don't see samples.

Stripe, I got fed up with the other folk song cd's I found, too, but these are fantastic. I hope you'll check out the samples & let me know what you think!

For folk songs, my family loves Pete Seeger's "Birds, Beasts, Bugs, and Fishes." It's one of the only explicitly kid-oriented CDs I actually enjoy listening to, his voice and banjo are amazing. I think the recordings are from the 50s, but they still sound great.

If you don't want to go the patriotic Wee Sing route, I agree with Krissik on just finding a good patriotic-type CD intended for adults-- the songs will be the same on all of them, so you might as well pick performers you like!

I'll have to look for Phil Rosenthal at my library soon, too.