Menu

Lets talk mood stabilizers please :)

i know NOTHING about them! but i do know according to dd's pediatrician and therapist... they both agree that its most likely what the pscyiatrist is going to recommend trying next month.

btw dd is 10.5, takes 4mg intuniv for adhd/impulsivity and is suspected bipolar, aspergers...

2 names they threw out to me where abilify and risperderone?

any chatter please?? :) the good the bad the ugly?? :lurk5: thanks so much!

no first hand knowledge of them but have heard of the risperderone being given to a friend's older kids....don't know anyone who gives their kids abilify but I've seen the commercials on tv.....have wondered if my kiddo needs something for this issue too because some days he can go from kitten to tiger in under 2 secs..... :auto: :grouphug:

Guest momk2000

My dd (10yrs) has been on Risperidone for a little over a year. She has PDD, and it has worked wonders for her. The Psychiatrist tells us she is on a low dose for her age.

My dd (10yrs) has been on Risperidone for a little over a year. She has PDD, and it has worked wonders for her. The Psychiatrist tells us she is on a low dose for her age.

I had foster dds on risperidone and it did wonders for them. I don't remember if there are any long term side effects. Another adoptive mom I know was very against using abilify with her young son and eventually convinced the dr to start with risperidone. I don't remember it all but it seems abilify has been linked to some pretty upsetting side effects in children.

It is late but you can look for posts on bipolar by me (Ottakee) as this is one of my little soap boxes.

My 15dd has bipolar and has been on meds since she was 3. Mood stabilizers can be a life saver.

Abilify and Risperdal are not technically mood stabilizers but rather atypical antipsychotics (AP) that are used as mood stabilzers or along with them. they can be VERY effective for kids with mood issues.

My daughter is on 2 mood stabilizers and the Risperdal. Life is MUCH MUCH MUCH better. It is scary giving the meds to the kids but life without the meds is much scarier.

Try Googling "pediatric bipolar treatment guidelines" for a great article written on the meds, what htey use when, why, side effects, combos of meds, etc.

Oldest has been on Risperidone for about 5 years and hasn't suffered any side effects. We tried Abilify and Geodone which are supposed to have fewer side effects, but both were not a good fit for ds and greatly increased both his irritability and appetite. Be prepared for a bit of trial and error in dosing and finding the right med in the class of drug that they're using. Ds1 also takes depakote which is a mood stabilizer. We've never had any issues with it and it was the first med they tried as a mood stabilizer. If it's any comfort, Risperdal has been on the market long enough to have a generic formulation and not be contraindicated in children.

Here is the link for the treatment guidelines http://www.bpchildren.com/files/Download/TreatmentGuidelines.pdf It is worth printing it out, reading through it, highlighting things, etc. It does say that Lamictal is not the best med but the report is 6 years old and more research shows it is much safer and effective than previously thought.

My daughter is using risperdal and it's truly been a miracle drug. I can hardly believe how much it is helping her control her tantrums and rages. She's on a tiny dose and it's amazing how well it's working. I wish I had known about it years ago.

My nephew has bipolar disorder and was on Abilify when he lived with me.

It helped him so much (when he would actually take it). He did gain weight but he also had atrocious eating habits so it's hard to say that it was the Abilify.

Neither child had/has any negative side effects (other than possibly the weight gain with my nephew).