Menu

WWS without doing WWE 4?

Teresa in MO

Of course at this point we're just guessing since no one has had a chance to try WWS for very long yet, but I'd say if the child already had the core skills of narration and dictation under their belts it should work. I have a dd age 11 who was a rising 3rd grader when WWE came out, so I thought it was too late to start her on it (I regret that decision now!), but we are likely going to use WWS next year. After looking at the samples (thank you Patty & SWB!), it looks like something that will be doable for her and pretty much exactly covers what she needs to learn. I'm sure I won't be the only one using WWS without having used WWE much or at all.

Of course at this point we're just guessing since no one has had a chance to try WWS for very long yet, but I'd say if the child already had the core skills of narration and dictation under their belts it should work.

:iagree:

The first weeks review narration and say to go back and place student in WWE if they struggle with the skill.

You could try the first weeks from the sample over the summer and if your dc do fine, then move ahead in the fall. If they struggle, they can practice narration over the summer.

I have been wondering about this with my fourth grade dd. She narrates/summarizes and takes dictation well, and I think another year spent on summarizing would be overkill (and we've switched to dictation from The Arrow). However, I don't want to rush things, and I think WWS might require more physical writing than dd is used to, although I'm sure she could become acclimated to it.

I actually wouldn't mind having the WWE 4 workbook just to see the parent instructions for summarizing. If anyone wants to sell their WWE 4 workbook, even if it's been used, let me know! :)

Tara

I have been wondering about this with my fourth grade dd. She narrates/summarizes and takes dictation well, and I think another year spent on summarizing would be overkill (and we've switched to dictation from The Arrow). However, I don't want to rush things, and I think WWS might require more physical writing than dd is used to, although I'm sure she could become acclimated to it.

I actually wouldn't mind having the WWE 4 workbook just to see the parent instructions for summarizing. If anyone wants to sell their WWE 4 workbook, even if it's been used, let me know! :)

Tara

I got a basic idea from looking at the samples on Peace Hill Press. Just in case you don't want to splurge for the whole thing to make a decision and just need a taste...

Or it also saves $ to try to check out the WWE Fundamentals book from the library or something if you don't already have it to read what it outlines for year 4. :)

I know my dd is totally young, but this is one area that she just loves. I looked at the examples and actually think she's ready for that level. I'd love to start WWS when it comes out. We only had WWE1 experience prior. I'll probably pick up WWE3 and get her used to the more difficult narrations.

She writes summaries on every book we read, every movie we see, every play we attend, all on her own accord. She does dictation very well. I'll just have to harness that energy and make sure she's doing it in the WTM-style.