Menu

Why is there no copy of Primary Language Lessons online for free?

eloquacious

There is, but you have to go to archive.org and search for Emma Serl. I think that Google books took it off because of the fear of conflicting with those who currently publish it, but unless it's Ms. Serl's family publishing it or the family has renewed the copyright and then sold it, it's still in the public domain. I also found it at Gutenberg, but the formatting is atrocious. Hope that helps!

The copyright date should make it available, and Intermediate LL is available... I mean, I have a copy of the reprint in my hand which I bought used, but I'd like to see the original before they revised it.

Does anyone know?

JoAnne

Hi. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I got to google books looking for this too but it didn't have a "download" buttum. How do I download the Intermediate LL book? :blushing:

There is, but you have to go to archive.org and search for Emma Serl. I think that Google books took it off because of the fear of conflicting with those who currently publish it, but unless it's Ms. Serl's family publishing it or the family has renewed the copyright and then sold it, it's still in the public domain. I also found it at Gutenberg, but the formatting is atrocious. Hope that helps!

I can't find it on either. Is there a chance you downloaded it when it was available and can share? There was a "vintage grammar" thread awhile back and several people were looking for it there as well.

I think the reason it's not on is because the libraries Google is digitizing material at, don't have it. You can see who has it at worldcat.org. There are plenty of out of copyright books still sold like Little Women.

Vintage thread here

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157186

Mary Hyde's books are also on Google Books. They're the basis for Eng for the Thoughtful Child.

Okay, so that worldcat.org link really helped.

So, a question... I mean, if I simply scan the 1911 version and upload it somewhere, that's perfectly legal, right? Then we can all share it?

Sigh. Nevermind. Worldcat said the library one town over had a copy of the 1911, but it's the re-issue. The next closest is Stanford University Library... ;) Might as well check my alma mater next time I'm in town, I'm pretty sure they'd have it.

Edited by eloquacious

So, a question... I mean, if I simply scan the 1911 version and upload it somewhere, that's perfectly legal, right? Then we can all share it?

Sigh. Nevermind. Worldcat said the library one town over had a copy of the 1911, but it's the re-issue. The next closest is Stanford University Library... ;) Might as well check my alma mater next time I'm in town, I'm pretty sure they'd have it.

I think a tad far from regular libraries. Currilick sells it for about $14. Considering I just bought startwrite and therefore blew my hs budget big time... :tongue_smilie:

That is legal.

There appear to be some 1894 ones, too:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/sheldons-primary-language-lessons/oclc/17895660&referer=brief_results

If you need it for educational uses, your local library will sometimes ILL you even an old book, and are usually happier to help you if you print out the Worldcat numbers and locations for them.

ElizabethB, that's Sheldon's, not Serl's. Sheldon's is already scanned and available online:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NpcAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.archive.org/details/sheldonsprimary00compgoog

There are quite a few viable vintage alternatives to Serl's, I think. I wish I had a library close to me with the book. I'd certainly be willing to scan it.

ElizabethB, that's Sheldon's, not Serl's. Sheldon's is already scanned and available online:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NpcAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.archive.org/details/sheldonsprimary00compgoog

There are quite a few viable vintage alternatives to Serl's, I think. I wish I had a library close to me with the book. I'd certainly be willing to scan it.

Oh, sorry, I was confused!

I can't find it on either. Is there a chance you downloaded it when it was available and can share? There was a "vintage grammar" thread awhile back and several people were looking for it there as well.

I only have Intermediate because that's what I was looking for, but I'm fairly certain that I saw the primary one as well at archive.org. I'll see if I can come up with a link...

ETA: I can't seem to find it either, which is strange because I'm sure I saw it. It's possible that someone has renewed the copyright, which would explain why it can't be found.

Edited by Pata

Thank you for your offer, but as I stated, I already own a copy of Perl's PLL, in the reissued form. However, I am working on a primary English curriculum based on a number of classic sources, and I'd like to see the original of Perl's work. (The reprinted copy we all have has been edited to modernize the text.)

• 9 months later...

I found both by searching on google books under Serl's name. Maybe I didn't find the right version??? Either way, thank you for the discussion, these are wonderful little books and I am very happy to have been introduced to them.

On a side note - I'm trying to figure out how to get them on my Kindle Fire. There is a bit of a learning curve there...;)