Menu

Settlers of Catan - Best Expansion Pack?

Our next purchase planned is Seafarer's. We bought this one because it was cheap. It does add a little fun to the game.

We just got the 5-6 player expansion because we feel that the board gets really crowded with all four of us playing, and I read that to do all the Seafarers variations, you need that expansion. We love the new bigger board with the 5-6 extension, so I highly recommend it.

Looks like Seafarers it is. And, I'll have to check out Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride as well.

I'm so excited my son is getting into board games so much now. For years, it's been nothing but legos and while I'll help him build a set, I still haven't felt I have that many activities that we can do together. Playing games works out really nicely, though.

Lisa

We like Cities and Knights here!

Seafarers makes the game broader (literally, the board gets bigger). Cities and Knights adds depth to the game (building "city improvements", using knights physically on the board, etc.). Traders and Barbarians shakes things up with different variants (options like friendly robber or harbormaster) and scenarios (fishing, caravans, rivers, etc.).

We have all three expansion packs and like each one! We also like to mix-n-match! We almost always play Cities and Knights and add on Seafarers or a scenario from Traders and Barbarians.

Seafarers makes the game broader (literally, the board gets bigger). Cities and Knights adds depth to the game (building "city improvements", using knights physically on the board, etc.). Traders and Barbarians shakes things up with different variants (options like friendly robber or harbormaster) and scenarios (fishing, caravans, rivers, etc.).

We have all three expansion packs and like each one! We also like to mix-n-match! We almost always play Cities and Knights and add on Seafarers or a scenario from Traders and Barbarians.

We are big Cities and Knights fans here. We've played Seafarers maybe 5 times.

Thanks for explaining all of this!

Lisa

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Our favorites in order:

Cities & Knights (never play without it)

Trader's & Barbarians (especially LOVE the fish)

Seafarers (I find it boring but occasionally play it with Cities & Knights)

Our favorite way to play is with Cities & Knights and the Fishermen of Catan from the Trader's & Barbarians set.

Good info, as I had the same question in mind as the OP. Thanks!