Menu

PSA: to all 13 yo girls

If your mother allows you to sit out in the car to finish up your audio book, and she tells you to turn off the van and lock the doors when you come into the library, she also intends for you to TAKE THE KEYS WITH YOU!

Do not lock the doors without removing the key from the ignition.

Just so you know for future reference.

DOH!!

That reminds me of this one time when my kids were babies, I had this flaky friend. One day, we were together (in separate cars) when she stopped at a Safeway to run in to get something. She came to my window and said, "Can you keep an eye on the kids? I need to run get _____." Then she ran in, leaving her kids in the LOCKED car in the 95-degree heat! I felt like an idiot, standing next to her car, "watching" her babies when I couldn't do anything for or about them anyway! That was close to the last time we ever got together. :glare:

If your mother allows you to sit out in the car to finish up your audio book, and she tells you to turn off the van and lock the doors when you come into the library, she also intends for you to TAKE THE KEYS WITH YOU!

Do not lock the doors without removing the key from the ignition.

Just so you know for future reference.

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Y'all need a Scion. If the keys are in the ignition, running or not, the door locks will not lock. I found this out the "hard" way. I'd left my keys in the ignition, got out, pressed the door lock button and slammed the door. I heard the locks click, as if they'd been unlocked. Lo and behold, unlocked doors.

(I meant to come back to this thread earlier this week)

Well, it could have been worse. (I mean what better place to get stranded than the LIBRARY!) It was gorgeous day. We sat under a huge shade tree in the grassy area in front of the library and read books till my dh could get there. We were in a safe area, not snowing, raining or 100 degrees, so....

I did feel bad about my dh having to take his lunch and drive 40 minutes to let us in the van.

And I didn't lose it and yell at my dd.

That's why you need to keep both sets of keys on your person. I always have one set in my purse and then one set for use. If one set gets locked in the car then I always have the other set. Luckily so far, I have never locked my purse in the car but part of the reason is because I use the clicker on the keys to lock the car, so I don't lock it without the keys in my hand.

I use the clicker on the keys to lock the car, so I don't lock it without the keys in my hand.

This is a good habit to get into, and to train the kids to do. My car doesn't have an actual key that goes into the ignition, and the doors won't lock unless the little doohickey that stays in my purse is actually outside the car. Sounds like it went as well as it could have, considering the situation.