Menu

ideas for evaporated milk?

I was given about 4-5 dozen cans of evaporated milk--a mix of 2% and whole. I have a slow-cooker recipe for mac and cheese that uses evaporated milk, but that's about it. I assume that I can use it in place of regular milk in casseroles and soups--or would it make the food taste off? The expiration dates are pretty far off, so I don't have to use it all right away, but I really have no idea where to start. I think that the person who gave it to me was in the same quandry, but I'm thrifty and would like to make use of this milk :)

My dad is from Kentucky, so I don't know if this is a southern thing or just a "my dad" thing, but he always made me rice with evaporated milk and sugar. Oh my goodness was that good!!! I haven't had that in years. Probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but gosh it is yummy. Other than pumpkin pie, I'm not sure I've ever really used it for anything else.

If you are talking about evaporated, I think it just basically is the same as regular milk if you add equal part to the milk of water. However - I use it all the time in tons of things when I have found it on sale. It is good if you make cream gravy (very southern thing & not so healthy, but oh so yummy). I use it in mashed potatoes, soups, and like other's said already, pumpkin pie & puddings. Here is a recipe for fudge too...yum, yum:

:001_smile:

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

• 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (4 ounces) miniature marshmallows
  • 1-1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation:

Combine butter or margarine, evaporated milk, sugar, and salt in a medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil stirring constantly for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, nuts, and vanilla. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted. Pour into a foiled-lined 8-inch square baking pan. Chill until firm.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, ladies! I had no idea that you had to mix it with water to get the equivalent of regular milk, but I guess that it makes sense considering that it is "evaporated." I'm going to try working a can or two into my menu each week to work my way through the stash :)

These are a few of my fav recipes that use evaporated milk:

Peppermint Fudge Yummy even at times other than the holidays :)

Cajun Cake

Tuna Casserole (my kids love this one, and it's really easy)

Picnic Macaroni Salad (my Granny's recipe)

Enchilada Squares

Sweet Potato Casserole (a huge family favorite, but usually only gets made for special occasions)

Quiche is our favorite way to use evaporated milk(well, and Butterscotch pie=).

Like the recipe here.. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/carnation-quiche-lorraine/Detail.aspx except we use more eggs.. instead of 3, we use anywhere from 4-6 depending on the size.

And this is our recipe for Butterscotch pie.

1/3 cup flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

¼ tsp. salt

3 egg yolks, beaten

¼ cup butter

½-1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 can evaporated milk, + enough milk to make 2 cups, scalded

1 baked 8 inch pie shell

Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in saucepan; mix well. Mixture will be very thick. Turn on medium heat (4-5) and begin to heat. Gradually stir in milk. Cook until thickened stirring constantly. Pour into pie shell. Chill until serving time. Top with whipped cream.

Enjoy!

I was given about 4-5 dozen cans of evaporated milk--a mix of 2% and whole. I have a slow-cooker recipe for mac and cheese that uses evaporated milk, but that's about it. I assume that I can use it in place of regular milk in casseroles and soups--or would it make the food taste off? The expiration dates are pretty far off, so I don't have to use it all right away, but I really have no idea where to start. I think that the person who gave it to me was in the same quandry, but I'm thrifty and would like to make use of this milk :)

Once you've tried it - you'll probably use what you have on hand and continue buying it!

Also - I forgot about quiche...super easy and you can put anything in it.... start with a pie crust - beat some eggs & evaporated milk, salt & pepper...and then you can either...mix in fillings in to the egg/milk mixture or put the fillings in the crust and pour the egg/milk mixture over...this makes a creamy egg layer and a filling layer rather than being combined - I do both ways and my family loves both - all kinds of things:

-sauteed mushrooms, grilled chicken, chopped green onions, spinach & swiss cheese

-ham, cheddar, green onions

-brocolli, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, meat if you want

-sautee diced potatoes, bell peppers and onions, chopped pieces of leftover steak, cheese (almost any kind), even leftover corn if you want

I've tried tons of different stuff - quiche is a great way of using bits of leftover veggies & meat!

And that recipe is...? :)

It's from Beth Hensperger's Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two. She calls for cooking it in a 3 quart cooker, but I imagine that it can be sized up.

1.5 c milk

1 12-oz can evaporated milk

3 large eggs

1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

1/2 tsp salt

3 c (12 oz) shredded fontina cheese

1/2 lb elbow macaroni, parcooked and drained

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/2 c grated Parmesan

Spray bottom and sides of crockpot with nonstick spray or grease with olive oil. Whisk milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, and salt in slow cooker until smooth. Add cheese and macaroni, then grind black pepper over it; gently stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Reduce to low and cook 2 to 2.5 hrs, until custard is set in the center and the pasta is tender. Can be held on "keep warm" setting for 30 min before serving.

Not that it is the right weather for this, but evaporated milk makes a good cream substitute in soup recipes, like chowders and such. I mostly keep it around for a stove top mac and cheese recipe and pumpkin pie, but have used it for cream soups when I'm out of cream. It never tastes off in the recipes.