Menu

Psychology/Sociology

Those of you who have had your students take Psychology and/or Sociology as electives (or whatever you wanted to call them), what curriculum did they use? And do you recommend it?

Middle son is mulling taking them this next year and I'm just starting the hunt for what he could use if he settles on it. A search on here shows some of you have done at least Psych, but I didn't see a thread talking about curricula - other than one with no responses. Feel free to post a link if I'm just blind or search impaired!

Our dd took AP Psychology through PA Homeschoolers and found it quite enjoyable. It didn't seem quite as time-consuming as other AP's, so wasn't too burdensome. They used the psychology textbook by David Myers, which seems to be the most common one I've seen for psych. Sonlight also has a package that is supposed to help you prep for the AP psych exam which uses this text as well along with some other study materials. Even if you weren't interested in pursuing the AP part, I would think you could still use this textbook.

Our dd took AP Psychology through PA Homeschoolers and found it quite enjoyable. It didn't seem quite as time-consuming as other AP's, so wasn't too burdensome. They used the psychology textbook by David Myers, which seems to be the most common one I've seen for psych. Sonlight also has a package that is supposed to help you prep for the AP psych exam which uses this text as well along with some other study materials. Even if you weren't interested in pursuing the AP part, I would think you could still use this textbook.

Ditto.

Yes. Ds used the David Myers text and the study guide independently (he did not pursue AP). It worked quite well for him--interesting and not too heavy. I got the text and study guide used from Amazon, so it was pretty economical also.

Thanks all! If he chooses it he's doing it independently and likely without the AP exam. Eons ago I minored in Psych, so it might be interesting to thumb through the book to see what's changed (if anything). However, he has to pick it first. He's also thinking about an Art class (instead). He did Art History a couple years ago, but this time he's debating something hands on.

Yes. Ds used the David Myers text and the study guide independently (he did not pursue AP). It worked quite well for him--interesting and not too heavy. I got the text and study guide used from Amazon, so it was pretty economical also.

OK I see this on Sonlight's website, their set includes the ninth edition text and study guide, then something called an Interactive Workbook and Diary. Some texts have a free code to interactive material that you wouldn't get if you buy the text used.

Anyone know if this is the case, or if I can get the text used w/study guide, and still use Sonlight's guide.

Adding: Is there a key for the text and study guide? Have to get Sonlight for a key?

Edited by Susan C.

My dd took it from Potter's School, only for one semester because she really didn't like the professor. He used the Myers text, though, and she likes the text so much that she has continued to read it independently. I got it on Amazon used and it wasn't very expensive, but she didn't use a study guide.

I actually have the Sonlight guide, a used textbook, and used study guide. Some answers are written in the study guide. I'll sell it to you. :) PM me or email me.

My dd did most of it alone. We went over some OQ questions together, we discussed a few topics, She did the tests closed book and went back open book to find the answers to those she missed. She did not take AP, but loved the course as a whole.

• 2 years later...
Guest Dialady

Hi Pam L, 

I'm interested in your used study guide.  We started using the Sonlight Psychology, but my son wrote in PEN . . gads . . .now we want to give it another try (he's a bit older now) and I was looking for a fresher copy.  Will PM you to see if yours is still available. Thanks!

Theresa 8-)

I just wanted to chime in and say that Coursera is currently offering a class on Social Psychology.  It is one of the best classes I've observed.  The lectures are great, there are a ton of extra video resources, and the readings are excellent.  I was a psych major, and it's hitting all the high points.  It could definitely be the backbone of an excellent hs psych class!