Menu

Recommended Typing Program?

shortcake1

I am looking for a reputable typing program for my rising 2nd grader. I've seen several online that are free but my concern is commercials and pop-ups. We don't yet have an internet filter (he's our oldest and hasn't begun to use the web independently yet). Trying to figure if its best to invest in an internet filter and then use a free typing program or just buy one to load on our computer. Any recommendations?

Dance Mat is probably the best age wise. But pretty much anything will work. They all do very similarly.

EXCEPT, my mom (an occupational therapist) teaches children by:

abcdefg with the left hand

hijklmnop with the right

qrst (left)

uvwxyz (mixed)

Seems it is easier for 7yr olds to remember their alphabet than random keys :)

Dance Mat Typing is fun but once that's done, you may want to continue on with a more robust and complete program. We've tried Dance Mat Typing, Typing Instructor for Kids, Type to Learn, and Mavis Beacon Kids. Typing Instructor for Kids is fun but the amount of typing required overwhelmed my daughter after coming from Dance Mat Typing. My favorite would be Mavis Beacon for Kids, it feels very complete and I like the reports. My daughter wants me to buy Type to Learn (they have a generous 30-day trial). I'll probably buy it from HSBC and then we'll continue with that program.

We thought Typing Instructor for Kids would be too busy, so we got Typing Quick & Easy from the same company. Good mix of instruction, typing practice, and a few games. Our 7yo is just about done with the complete training plan at 10wpm, and for 2nd grade we will have her go through it again at 20wpm. I like that the program will grow with her without seeming too childlike.

We use Typing Instructor for Kids. It was kinda pricey, but had the best reviews. I would also recommend buying a skin (cover) for the keys so they can't peak.

oh i like the recommendation of buying a skin...never thought of that. Thanks!

Afa a skin goes, somewhere (I think on here) I heard the tip to put a towel over their hands. That's what we're doing with our 8yo rather than buying a skin, and it's working great, for free.

We are starting with DanceMat and planning to move onto something else as well, when he has proficiency in all the levels (I am timing how long each one takes and watching him to determine when to move on). Typing Instructor for Kids was too busy and distracting - instead of trying to type fast, he spent forever looking at hte graphics.

Dance Mat is probably the best age wise. But pretty much anything will work. They all do very similarly.

EXCEPT, my mom (an occupational therapist) teaches children by:

abcdefg with the left hand

hijklmnop with the right

qrst (left)

uvwxyz (mixed)

Seems it is easier for 7yr olds to remember their alphabet than random keys :)

Thank you for this tip!:001_smile: