Menu

Tell me what I should know about getting a pedicure please?

I've never had one, my friend got a gc for an expensive place around here, but she called and if you don't make an appointment and just walk in, their services are half price! So she really wants me to go with her for a pedicure and I really want to as well. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to take your own nail polish so you can do touch ups. Does anyone actually do this?

Any other advice?

Thanks,

Phlox

Just make sure to go to someone you trust. A gal I know is having a whole bone in her foot replaced, do to an infection she got from having a pedicure. She got cut doing her pedicure, it got infected, then somehow got into her toe bone, then the bone collapsed, and now the bone leading from her food to her leg has a problem, and she is having surgery to save it. :blink:

Guest Dulcimeramy
Just make sure to go to someone you trust. A gal I know is having a whole bone in her foot replaced, do to an infection she got from having a pedicure. She got cut doing her pedicure, it got infected, then somehow got into her toe bone, then the bone collapsed, and now the bone leading from her food to her leg has a problem, and she is having surgery to save it. :blink:

:scared: That's awful!! I hope the surgery goes well. That poor lady!

Oh, my word! That is awful. I sincerely hope she and her doctor are able to save the bone.

After hearing this I'd much rather a foot soak and massage.

I would make sure the salon used sterilized tools on each person and not pass the same tools from person to person. I would not want fungus from the person before me. I have seen this done at a nail salon in a mall here.

And these are the reasons why I have never had, nor will ever have, a pedicure. Nope. Never.

Oh my gosh! That is terrible!!!!! I did receive a fungus from a salon and will not go back for a pedicure again. I had to have my nail removed (didn't work and hurt like heck!) and tried multiple topical items and it finally went away about 5 years later. That pales to what this poor gal is going through!

I got a horrible plantar wart from a pedicure several years ago. It was so deeply embedded that I had to have surgery and spend a month on bed rest.

Believe it or not, I have had a few, very few pedicures since then - but only from a very trusted and hygienic place. Also:

I go only first thing in the morning, so the tools have had a chance to be thoroughly sterilized.

I also have my own flip flops.

94-0505?wid=270&hei=270&op_usm=0.8,4,0,0&resmode=bicub

I only get a pedicure once or twice a year. That's it.

Good tip about not shaving the morning of. Makes sense.

ooohhh Negin,

I want those. Where can I find them? I hate the disposables. Yours are so cool.

Going in the AM is ideal. They clean each night and before each customer. So the clients see the equipment being cleaned/ disinfected. Mine has specific tools per customer or you can purchase your own set and bring it each time. It's easier to buy it and have them "catalogue" it for you. Your info. with your number is on file. (great for the "regulars")

I love the idea of a simple foot massage and polish.

I'm extremely ticklish so only get pedicures maybe a couple times a year.

OP -

You can purchase your color there or bring a favorite shade with you

My daughter does pedicures. You can bring your own nail polish if you choose.(some places balk at it, but they encourage it).

WATCH THEM sterilize the foot baths. They are supposed to do this right before they fill it up. If you do not see them do this, tell them to.

Make sure they empty and drain, clean and refill for the leg massage.

Make sure they are wearing gloves when they start doing the nail cuticles, and cutting of the toenails.

If you are a diabetic, do not go.

Bring your own flip flops.

Most of all, relax and enjoy it.:lol:

ooohhh Negin,

I want those. Where can I find them?

Karis, you can get them from footsmart.com or from amazon

I'm sure there are others also if you google "yoga sandals" or "yoga slippers" etc.

I love how your place has specific equipment for each customer. Wow. :D

WATCH THEM sterilize the foot baths. They are supposed to do this right before they fill it up. If you do not see them do this, tell them to.

Make sure they empty and drain, clean and refill for the leg massage.

Make sure they are wearing gloves when they start doing the nail cuticles, and cutting of the toenails.

Bring your own flip flops.

Most of all, relax and enjoy it.:lol:

Great tips. Thank you.

I often have a problem being assertive when it comes to these things. I tend to be too nice and compliant. I need to be a bit more demanding.