Menu

Foerster Algebra 1

I'd love to use this text with my son next year (will be 8th), but am having a horrible time finding a teacher's manual/ Solution manual.

They are either extraordinarily expensive ($75-150 used), or non-existent.

I can get the text failrly inexpensively (around $20 used).

A) If you have used this, is it worth the cost?

B) Anyone have a great resource for finding teacher's manuals?

I'm in the same boat! I already bought the text and Oasis says the SM is back ordered indefinitely. Now what?:001_huh: I really like the text. I guess we could try to use it w/o the manual, but I really don't want the headache!

Same boat here. I bought both the Lial's and Foerster's texts, and I liked how Foerster's is laid out. But the Foerster SM is backordered and $72 is pretty steep compared to the few dollars I paid for the Lial's SM. I don't plan on starting Algebra till part way through next year, but if I don't find a reasonably priced SM, I am going with Lials.

I am using Foerster Algebra I with my daughter this year. We DO have the solutions manual and paid $80.00 for the book. NOT worth it! It basically just gives the answer- does not show the problems worked out step by step.

I used it maybe 4 times.

I just have my daughter do the odd problems only as the answers are in the back of the book.

LOVE this math book, by the way.

**Just a note- I ordered my manual through by way of the family- it came in a paper envelope & my book was all messed up. I emailed them about it and never received a reply. I was not happy after paying so much for it.

I am using Foerster Algebra I with my daughter this year. We DO have the solutions manual and paid $80.00 for the book. NOT worth it! It basically just gives the answer- does not show the problems worked out step by step.

I used it maybe 4 times.

I just have my daughter do the odd problems only as the answers are in the back of the book.

LOVE this math book, by the way.

**Just a note- I ordered my manual through by way of the family- it came in a paper envelope & my book was all messed up. I emailed them about it and never received a reply. I was not happy after paying so much for it.

I wonder if you have the TM or the SM. My SM for alg 1 has every problem worked out step by step (especially valuable for the word problems). My SM for alg 2/trig does not. (And unfortunately, I need it the other way around!!)

OP, I have had my SM for ages (I bought it when my oldest was in 6th grade.....so it was at least 10 yrs ago.) The ISBN # on my copy is 0-201-86100-3

I just checked- I am wrong!! I do have the Solutions manual & it does have the worked out solutions for most of the problems. Sorry about that.

We did only use it about 4 times. My daughter does extremely well with the Algebra though so it wasn't really necessary for me. I wouldn't purchase it for the amount of money I paid if I could do it over.

But perhaps I would change my mind if my child got a lot wrong? Maybe I will find out next year when my son starts Algebra... I hope not! : )

Again, sorry for my wrong information. I should have looked at the book again as I haven't looked at it since the beginning of the school year.

I bought my TM used. The ISBN was 0201324598. I could not find the Solution Manual used and bought it new from Prentice Hall. It was also on back-order when I wanted it 2 years ago. I like having both books. I used the TM daily and the solution manual when necessary.

For used, I check:

http://www.addall.com (I see the TM there for $42)

http://www.fes.follett.com/index.cfm

Good luck! I loved Foerster's Algebra 1.