Menu

Don't help me! I can do it!

Do you have one of these children? We sit down to do math and said child says "Don't look! I can do it!" I try to explain....she still persists. I say "Okay" and let child go about her work. I come back and sure enough, the problems are wrong because she didn't follow the directions correctly. So she gets to erase and start back over....where we should have started in the first place. :glare:

She's so adamant about the whole "don't look until I'm finished with all the problems" thing. There are many times when she gets too persistent with things and I have to send her to sit on the bed....I tell her that when she realizes that I am the teacher and she is the student, she may come back out and we can finish the work.

It's one of those days. :001_huh:

My ds is extreme on both ends depending on the day. Either he insists on doing something and it will usually be wrong, or he "doesn't know how to do anything" and will pout for hours. The only thing he's good at alone is when he's trying to impress someone with his handwriting. He'll do an amazing job, but you can't look. If you look, he freaks!

I try to let him teach me things sometimes; Intentionally teaching me, because he teaches me a lot every single day!

My ds is extreme on both ends depending on the day. Either he insists on doing something and it will usually be wrong, or he "doesn't know how to do anything" and will pout for hours. The only thing he's good at alone is when he's trying to impress someone with his handwriting. He'll do an amazing job, but you can't look. If you look, he freaks!

I try to let him teach me things sometimes; Intentionally teaching me, because he teaches me a lot every single day!

Great idea! I could see this being a big help for checking understanding before doing a practice page.

My not even two year old is like this. Thinks he can do everything we can do. It has gotten him injured more than once. Although it's pretty funny when he puts both legs in one pants hole because he insists on trying to dress himself.

Yes!! She is now 11 and we have survived long enough that we can now talk through it or at least avoid blood shed. Also we have found compromise curriculum where she feels she is learning on her own, but is actually learning by video or reading. Learning to read was the hard part, many fights over that.

YES. I love it and hate it, lol.

I have one who wants to do math all by himself.

Now I look at the lesson. If I think he can figure it out on his own, I let him choose if he wants a lesson or if he wants to do it alone.

If I'm not sure how he's understanding it, I ask him to teach me. He almost always understands the material thoroughly.

If it's really new material, or if he gets stuck, we do a short lesson then *no* exercise. Just the lesson. Then he gets to do the exercise on his own the next day.

I purposely chose a LA curriculum that is teacher-dependent so that he can't just do the lessons on his own.

It's one of those challenging traits that will serve them well in the future. (If they make it that far! :tongue_smilie: )

Cat