Menu

Looking for a cheaper alternative to Wordly Wise for vocabulary - got any suggestions

I picked up a Webster's Vocab Builder and did a weekly plan.

Mon: Intro and dictation of new Root

Tues: Copywork of definitions

Wed. Original sentences from 1/2 words

Thursday: other 1/2 of words

Friday study

The book provides tests every 2 lessons (if I remember correctly).

I actually found this for $1 at the library bookstore!

I got them (used or perhaps just remnants, none had markings) from Follett Educational Services

http://www.fes.follett.com/

It's been a few years, so can't promise you'll still find them, but it was a good deal when my son was starting high school.

BTW, instead of grade level, they're labeled 'First Course,' 'Second Course,' and so on. First Course is 7th grade level, and they go up from there. (Since vocab. had never been his strong point, we started with 'First' and just worked through the books at a rate of more than one per year to catch up.

They seemed as effective as Wordly Wise had been. I started WW in late elementary school when standardized testing showed vocab to be a weakness. His scores improved quickly, and stayed high after the switch. His scores on the 'Englishy' sections of SAT and ACT were always very high.

Blessings,

Debbie

http://fmhs.lisd.net/summer/psatteam/The%20Shakespeare%20Word%20List.pdf

This is the "Shakespeare List," which actually has nothing to do with Shakespeare. It is a list of 1625 words, along with their meanings, synonyms, etc., that have appeard on previous SAT and PSAT tests. It (they?) stresses the less-known alternative meanings that, it says, are commonly used on the SAT. Abandon, to name an early example, has both the most common meaning, as in "abandon a baby," but it also means to act recklessly, as in, "We romped through the woods with wild abandon."

Terri

You could take a classical literature based approach. Assign a book just a bit above reading level and have them look up a designated number of words each day that they do not know plus origin, etc. Then have them copy the sentence from the literature. Then they can compose their own sentence based upon the definition and the copywork. We use a bound composition notebook for this type of vocabulary notebook. Cheap and easy. The trick is consistently reviewing for retention.