Menu

What do I need for a history spine for modern/year 4 WTM 8th grade?

Kingfisher, Usborne Internet-Linked, Nat'l Geographic Almanac of World Hist, DK History of the World, or DK History: The Definitive Visual Guide.

I'd like to add that the K12 curriculum has an eighth grade history text for modern hist that is also supposed to be excellent--and it's narrative, not encyclopedic.

I think it depends on what you mean by "spine" and what you will use it for. I'm new to logic stage history so hopefully others with more experience will chime in. I would use Kingfisher or Usborne as a guide as for as topics and the chronology of those topics. Then find living books on those topics for further research, outlining, summarizing, etc. There just isn't enough info in Kingfisher or Usborne for an 8th grader, IMHO (and never having BTDT - oh boy I'm getting in deep trouble here :lol:). I like the K12 books for additional info and for outlining and summarizing. I also have Nat'l Geographic but we haven't used it much although my younger son enjoyed reading about the American Revolution. I found it a nice read and not encyclopedic at all.

History: The Definitive Visual Guide would be a good one for 8th grade, and is a SWB recommendation. It's *my* personal favorite of all the spines we've collected over the years. :) The pictures are awesome, the information is clear, and it's not so fact dense you feel like you're wading.

History: The Definitive Visual Guide would be a good one for 8th grade, and is a SWB recommendation. It's *my* personal favorite of all the spines we've collected over the years. :) The pictures are awesome, the information is clear, and it's not so fact dense you feel like you're wading.

Yes, I'll be using this one for eight grade--I have Usborne and Kingfisher AND this one. LOL Overkill...

BTW, keep your eye out for it at Barnes and Noble--or one of the other stores like this. Got mine for about 20 bucks on the bargain table.

I'm also planning to get Hakim's History of the US and Kingfisher to use along with SOTW for our 8th grade history plan. That's a year off for us, but I'm getting really excited already, as I've wanted to go in depth on U.S. history for such a long time. I'm either going to create my own TWTM style lesson plans or possibly buy something like Biblioplan that will save me some time (I would tweak, of course.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

k12's schedule is a bit different than WTM. They do American history in 5th and 6th, then world history in 7th and 8th ( up to WWI). They don't do past WWI until high school. k12's Human Odyssey (world history) in in three volumes:

Prehistory through the Middle Ages

Our Modern World: 1400 to 1917

From Modern Times to our Contemporary Era

So, to cover WTM time periods for 8th grade, you'd need volumes 2 and 3. They do not sell the student or teacher pages directly unless you sign up for their online courses. You can find the ones for the second volume by looking at used sources (Amazon, Alibris) for "k12 Intermediate World History B." They use the third volume for their high school modern world history courses, and, AFAIK, there aren't any printed support materials for the high school levels.

My plan (realizing we're only going into 6th grade this coming year):

5th grade: k12 HO vol. 1 (part)

6th grade: k12 HO vol. 1 (rest) and 2 (part), plus relevant sections of Hakim's History of Us (using k12 American History before 1865 student/teacher guides)

7th grade: k12 HO vol. 2 (part), plus the Hakim mentioned above

8th grade: k12 HO vol. 2 (rest) and 3, plus remainder of History of Us (using the k12 American history since 1865 student/teacher guides)

(Note: I can't remember at this particular moment if the Civil War is covered in 7th or 8th, so adjust the above accordingly---I'm still trying to get out of Greece and Rome so that we can get to the Middle Ages in the fall;)).

We're enjoying using HO for Ancients this year and I've already gotten volume 2 for next year. I'll keep an eye out for the Visual Guide, and I'm probably going to lean pretty heavily on Discovery Streaming and Netflix as well as other books for that age.

I'm also planning to get Hakim's History of the US and Kingfisher to use along with SOTW for our 8th grade history plan. That's a year off for us, but I'm getting really excited already, as I've wanted to go in depth on U.S. history for such a long time. I'm either going to create my own TWTM style lesson plans or possibly buy something like Biblioplan that will save me some time (I would tweak, of course.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

You're not going to continue with TOG?

Just shatter my world, eh? :)

Not meaning to hijack the post, but I'm planning something very similar for 7th grade this coming year and wanted to know more about the DK vs the USborne History of the World books. I'm not sure which to use. Any comparisons to offer?

I'm planning to supplement with Hakim's like some other posters have also said. I also have Usborne World Wars, Smithsonian's American History Encyclopedia, 2 history of architecture books (whose titles I cannot recall at the moment) and tons of literature.