Menu

Singapore comparison between MPH and

StephanieF

There is an MPH math, but I don't think anyone sells it in the US. The common versions of SM used in the US are US Edition or Standards. Of the 2, I'd guess Standards would be better for average students because it includes more review. For dd who loves math, I chose US Edition because the Intensive Practice books coordinate with it and it has less review (which she doesn't need, but I feel compelled to do if it's in the book).

You don't have to have the home instructor's guide but it is helpful if you need ideas on teaching the concepts, and all the mental math exercises are located in the HIG. Also, all problems & solutions for textbook & workbook exercises are in the HIG as well.

HTH

It is the 3rd edition here http://www.mathsnoproblem.co.uk/?pg=home&&myPg=popUp.php&&pid=106 and this is the instructor's guide which seems to relate to both the US and standard edition http://www.mathsnoproblem.co.uk/?pg=home&&myPg=popUp.php&&pid=128

I could order from Sonlight though which I think carries the other one?

Stephanie

The 3rd edition is excellent and the one I prefer. The US edition is basically the same but has content on the Imperial system and some of the names and such have been changed to more American-sounding ones.

I'm not especially strong in math (yet! :)) but I do enjoy it and haven't found a need for the HIG in the elementary grades. A lot of people here do like it though. I imagine the HIG for the US edition would work just fine for the 3rd edition.

There is an MPH math, but I don't think anyone sells it in the US.

"My Pals are Here!" math is sold here as a US Edition math textbook series called "Math In Focus" by Houghton Mifflin.

MPH (the Singapore version) can be ordered from SGBox in Singapore.

Bill

Hi, I do own MPH for 4th grade and I like its layout much better than 3rd edition. They cover the same topics, but MPH textbooks (student's books) are more colourful:).

I couldn't locate Practice book for 4A, but I do have 4B Practice book here as well as 3rd edition workbooks. If there is no difference in price I would be purchasing MPH edition and that is why:

Every chapter is finalized by Challenging Practice and Problem Solving which do not present in 3rd edition; MPH has Final-Year Revision ( MPH 4b has 134 working pg against 120 pgs for the 3rd edition).

Another key moment (for me, at least) is specification of Practices: Practice 1 "Understanding Tenth" in Decimal 1 chapter MPH against "Exercise 1" of 3rd edition. May be I am just very picky.

Edited by SneguochkaL