Menu

Latin for 3rd grade?

How many of you have average children and using Latin? What are the pros and cons of a foreign language at this age? My other 2 were public schooled and never had a foreign language until 6th grade. I have never taken Latin, is it possible to teach dd without having had it myself? What programs would you recommend? ANY info would be appreciated!

My son will be in third in the fall and we will be starting Latin. I purchased used (got a good deal) the dvds along with the manuals. The dvds do the instruction for you and you can follow along to learn with your child. To be honest I took 5 years of Latin and can't remember much, except some vocabulary :D, or maybe it should be a frown. I have been viewing the lessons and they are very easy to follow. Some people complain of the teachers accent being southern, but I don't care we do live in OK and I don't think it matters. So far I like what I see. Prima Latina info can be found at memoriapess.com and you can keep a look out for it on sale on the forum.

Allyson

Getting Started with Latin mixed with I Speak Latin have been working very well with us. No workbooks like other programs, so handwriting is minimized/saved for other subjects, if that is an issue.

Lingua Angelica is also highly recommended. We go at our own pace.

We just finished Prima Latina with my advanced 3rd grader. BUT, my average 1st grade learner followed along most of the year and got a lot out of it. So I don't think any average learning 3rd grader would have any problems with it.

I did not use the DVDs. I felt the pronunciation C.D.s and the Teacher book were enough for us. I studied Spanish, so I am familar at least with verb conjugations. I am learning the declensions and vocab right along with my children.

3rd grade feels natural to me to start a foreign language. I began foreign language classes as an extra curricular at that age. My mother paid for private classes for us, as we attended P.S. where language was not offered until high school.

We use Prima Latina here too. I think it's very appropriate for a 3rd grader. It's mostly just vocab. Very easy to teach. We started with the DVD's, but they took too much time to teach what little is there. I found it easier to teach it myself with the pronunciation CD. I've had no previous Latin experience.

Getting Started with Latin mixed with I Speak Latin have been working very well with us. No workbooks like other programs, so handwriting is minimized/saved for other subjects, if that is an issue.

Lingua Angelica is also highly recommended. We go at our own pace.

Thanks for the info! Dd would much prefer no extra writing!

We just finished Prima Latina with my advanced 3rd grader. BUT, my average 1st grade learner followed along most of the year and got a lot out of it. So I don't think any average learning 3rd grader would have any problems with it.

I did not use the DVDs. I felt the pronunciation C.D.s and the Teacher book were enough for us. I studied Spanish, so I am familar at least with verb conjugations. I am learning the declensions and vocab right along with my children.

3rd grade feels natural to me to start a foreign language. I began foreign language classes as an extra curricular at that age. My mother paid for private classes for us, as we attended P.S. where language was not offered until high school.

Prima Latina is what I was leaning towards. It is good to know that the DVD's are not necessary.

We use Prima Latina here too. I think it's very appropriate for a 3rd grader. It's mostly just vocab. Very easy to teach. We started with the DVD's, but they took too much time to teach what little is there. I found it easier to teach it myself with the pronunciation CD. I've had no previous Latin experience.

It's good to know that it's mostly vocab. And thanks for the heads up that the DVD's take too much time!

We are using Lively Latin. My ds8 is in 3rd. Language/language arts is not his strong suit, but honestly, he's doing very well with the program. I did LL alongside my dd when she did it, but I'm letting ds do it on his own. He's enjoying it; likes the daily chants, etc. We are not doing the history aspect of it, but I'm really pleased with how he's doing and the fact that he's enjoying it! Also, he likes the video lessons, which I guess are new because I do not remember them from a few years ago when dd did the program.

Your comment about an average child is a good one. I'll tell you our Latin story, but the bottom line is find a curriculum you like and go at the pace your child needs. 3rd grade is not too young, but you have to be in tune with your child instead of focusing on "turning the page" every day. I think of Latin in the same way I think of how long to nurse a baby: a full course is best, but even a little Latin is better than none at all.

My eldest son started Latin for Children in 3rd grade at the classical school he attended. He had excellent instruction and an aptitude for the language. When I began homeschooling him in 6th grade, he was able to skip a year of Latin and go right to Wheelock's Latin I in Veritas' online class.

My middle son also started LFC in 3rd grade at the same school. He had poor instruction (different teacher), and his dyslexia and other issues made it very hard for him. He received high marks, but only because I retaught him every night. When I began homeschooling him in 4th grade, I moved him into LFC B, but it quickly became obvious that he needed to restart LFC A at the begining. He's just finished 5th grade and is only on lesson 8 of LFC B...but he gets it.

My youngest son will be in 3rd grade next year, and I'm going to start him on LFC A. It'll take a few weeks to determine his pace.

Becky

We are using Lively Latin. My ds8 is in 3rd. Language/language arts is not his strong suit, but honestly, he's doing very well with the program. I did LL alongside my dd when she did it, but I'm letting ds do it on his own. He's enjoying it; likes the daily chants, etc. We are not doing the history aspect of it, but I'm really pleased with how he's doing and the fact that he's enjoying it! Also, he likes the video lessons, which I guess are new because I do not remember them from a few years ago when dd did the program.

LA is not dd's strong suit either, which is why I wanted to know if an average child could start at this age:001_smile:. Thank you!

Your comment about an average child is a good one. I'll tell you our Latin story, but the bottom line is find a curriculum you like and go at the pace your child needs. 3rd grade is not too young, but you have to be in tune with your child instead of focusing on "turning the page" every day. I think of Latin in the same way I think of how long to nurse a baby: a full course is best, but even a little Latin is better than none at all.

My eldest son started Latin for Children in 3rd grade at the classical school he attended. He had excellent instruction and an aptitude for the language. When I began homeschooling him in 6th grade, he was able to skip a year of Latin and go right to Wheelock's Latin I in Veritas' online class.

My middle son also started LFC in 3rd grade at the same school. He had poor instruction (different teacher), and his dyslexia and other issues made it very hard for him. He received high marks, but only because I retaught him every night. When I began homeschooling him in 4th grade, I moved him into LFC B, but it quickly became obvious that he needed to restart LFC A at the begining. He's just finished 5th grade and is only on lesson 8 of LFC B...but he gets it.

My youngest son will be in 3rd grade next year, and I'm going to start him on LFC A. It'll take a few weeks to determine his pace.

Becky

I am learning that I have to go at dd's pace, so thanks for reminding me of that! She is ADHD and it is good to know that if you take it at their pace then they will be fine. Thank you!

We started Prima Latina in late second grade, and it has been VERY easy to teach with the DVDs. I love that it includes built in memory work and review :). I heart the DVDs!

Thanks Jennifer! I am leaning towards Prima Latina. Now to decide if I want the DVD's. How long do you spend per day with Prima Latina using the DVD's?

It is around 30 minutes daily. DD does most of it independently though :). We watch the DVDs together because I need to learn it all too in order to prod her along and help her with review/memorization :). So, Day 1 of a new lesson - we watch the DVD. Day 2 - do the first page of exercises in the student book - maybe do some flashcard review of all previous lessons (cumulative), Day 3 - do the second page of exercises, Day 4 - review flashcards, memory work, and we also make new flashcards from the lesson - I get DD to make all the vocabulary cards, I make grammar cards, sayings, and prayers.

Hope this helps! Our daughter feels very accomplished and always tells people who ask how school is doing that, "I'm learning Latin!" It is very cute. Personally, I think children really enjoy learning Latin!

It is around 30 minutes daily. DD does most of it independently though :). We watch the DVDs together because I need to learn it all too in order to prod her along and help her with review/memorization :). So, Day 1 of a new lesson - we watch the DVD. Day 2 - do the first page of exercises in the student book - maybe do some flashcard review of all previous lessons (cumulative), Day 3 - do the second page of exercises, Day 4 - review flashcards, memory work, and we also make new flashcards from the lesson - I get DD to make all the vocabulary cards, I make grammar cards, sayings, and prayers.

Hope this helps! Our daughter feels very accomplished and always tells people who ask how school is doing that, "I'm learning Latin!" It is very cute. Personally, I think children really enjoy learning Latin!

Thank you!!! This sounds very doable!

We started Latin this year with Lively Latin and Indy LOVES it. Really, he begs me to do Latin every day! He enjoys the video lessons. We don't do the history (though it's fabulous) because we're not on the ancients right now. When we cycle back to the ancients though, I'll use some of it because it is incredibly thorough. There is some writing involved, but it's not too much IMO. BTW, Indy is dyslexic, so I was very apprehensive about starting Latin, but he enjoys it so much and gets a kick out of finding words we use every day that are Latin or very close to the original Latin. It's become something of a game.

LL is very affordable. You can get the full curriculum for $55! It's the online version, so you can just print off what you need and watch the lessons online. The Big Book is over 400 pages. This is from the website:

BigBook of LivelyLatin, Volume 1
Online PDF
:

• Sixteen BIG lessons of beginning Latin language instruction, English derivatives, Roman history, puzzles, games, activities, and more. All in PDF ready for you to download and print, lesson by lesson, as you need.
  • Unlimited rights to print copies of the BigBook for use in your own family (great for siblings!);
  • Lifetime rights to online Study with the Magistra virtual classroom, which includes:
  • The answer key to consult or print, as you wish;
  • Audio files of vocabulary in Classical or Ecclesiastical pronunciation
  • Online vocabulary games and resources;
  • MyHistory of Rome in PDF form to print and create student’s own Roman historybook;

:o my ds will be in 3rd grade next year and we'll be doing Song School Latin, actually we're going to start SSL over the summer, because i'd love to get him into LCI by Christmas at least. The reason we're using SSL is because Language arts is not his thing and i'm hoping this will be a non stressful way to get latin going with him.

We have used Latin for Children primers A,B, and C. They are very user friendly and teach a solid foundation of Latin Grammar in a fun and interesting way. I have a Latin background but purchased the DVD's anyway because I needed some relief! My boys have enjoyed Christopher Perrin and the children in the videos. The History readers are a valuable resource as well because they provide extra practice while integrating History! We are moving to their Latin Alive! series this year, and I am impressed with their materials.

I tutored Latin this year using Latin's Not So Tough, and my ds was way ahead of my 8th grade class from using Latin for Children. Check them out at http://www.classicalacademicpress.com

I also use their Song School Latin and Logic resources. Probably the other curriculum I don't use from them is their Poetry (which does look amazing) only b/c we do Classical Writing.

I just can't recommend CAP enough...