Menu

So, does anything stay nice for long inside your homeschooling house?

I have a MIL like this. She, who had one child, who was raised by babysitters, day cares, and grandparents. My laundry builds up to more than one load at a given time? There's a juice stain on DD's car seat cover? The carpet looks like it was MEANT to be spotted, there are so many stains on it. (To be fair, my grandparents installed this carpet when I was 8.) Our molding is cracked in places, the 40-year-old faux wood paneling in our entry way is actually missing a chunk. My sewing machine has glitter nail polish on it that I just can't get off. And a cat decided to nest in our basement this winter, so I can't get seem to ever get THAT smell out completely. DD's face won't stay clean, DS likes to roll in grass & mud puddles, and his glasses are always smeary because he pushes them up with the palm of his hand on the lenses.

DH told her ONE time that if she has a problem with our lifestyle, she's free to stay out of our lives. That shut her up pretty quickly. I know she hates me, and that's ok. But I hold the power in this relationship because my children are the only grandchildren she'll EVER have. (I know-- crappy attitude. But it's the only thing that gets me through dealing with her.)

I have toothpaste on my bathroom CEILING - bright blue. (How it got on the ceiling, idk...but...)

The trunk in my living room is covered in wonderful pictures and cards made just for Mommy.

I sweep up enough food off of my kitchen floor to feed 3 more dc ...daily.

When we run low on crayons, we clean under the couch cushions.

Books find themselves in curious places...

Right now...I'm in the early stages of packing to move, finishing stages of planning next year's school, and so I have boxes all over - ALL OVER!!!

Scratches, dings, ink on the carpet, etc...check, check, check

They will be grown and gone too soon...My mom's house is pristine now, but I remember when I was a kid and her house then was worse than mine.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you, OP for starting this, because I've gone through the same thing recently. My grandma was here visiting and I could tell she thought my house was not up to her standards. But her kids were in school all day.

My mom never says anything about my house, but I know it's not up to her standards either. I don't care though, because she was often cranky when I was a kid over the house, and I'd rather have had a more relaxed mom and a messier house. I refuse to live that way. So, I am a perfectionist like her, and cleaning does improve my mood, I do like things neat, but I try to keep it in perspective and find balance. Like everyone has said, we homeschool too, which is another full-time job, and everyone is here all day to make messes.

So to answer your question- no, nothing really stays nice. I can't stand our living room furniture, it is from the beginning of our marriage and beat up. So is our dining table, it's full of dings and scratches. But I like that at least I'm not worried about keeping expensive things nice. My house needs painting, our berber carpet has many snags from my pets' claws, there is a foot level hole in the dry wall that needs to be repaired, etc, etc. My kids are great at breaking things too- we had to repair a window that the kids broke throwing blocks, someone broke a chair in the school room, and lots of other fun things. :glare: But such is life. I'd rather have the kids and the times we have together than a perfect house.

Oh my word, I have this problem, too. How in the world do children get toothpaste all over the bathroom? It is a mystery to me!

My kids were just in the bathroom today cleaning up their toothpaste mess! I banned them from brushing their teeth in my bathroom anymore, they have to stick to one upstairs bathroom, so at least it's confined to there.