Menu

Least Challenging to Most Challenging High School Program?

I got my very first Veritas Press catalog in the mail yesterday and as I was perusing the pages I thought wow this seems intense. All the novels that are read in any of the high school programs, logic, latin, along with all the other ordinary subjects (math, science, composition, etc).

I thought it would be interesting to do a "rough" list of what the Hive considered to be the least challenging to the most challenging high school programs that use History and/or Literature as their core without "beefing it up" (if program is used as/is). I know we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here and I don't want to create any controversy or debate. It's all opinion but it would be interesting to me to see what pops up the most at the top or bottom of the list. Here are the programs I'm most familiar with and my OPINION from least to most challenging:

1. Notgrass

2. Beautiful Feet

3. Hewitt Homeschooling Resources

4. Sonlight

5. MFW (intimate knowledge of this program)

6. Classical Conversations (intimate knowledge of this program)

7. Veritas Press (Omnibus)

Now I know we don't have intimate knowledge of each and every program out there but we all research extensively before making our decisions so I know many of our opinions are based on this research. If I've forgotten a major resource feel free to add it in your list.

I think this thread is going to be fun :bigear:

A friend used Beautiful Feet for her kids all through high school, and they were all superstars in terms of AP credit, academic scholarships, etc. etc. She showed me how she taught them the writing portion, and it was very explicit and rigorous because she's a writer and was able to articulate what Beautiful Feet doesn't have.

We've been in Classical Conversations for awhile, and that varies as well. One year the Director was an amazing motivator and set high expectations that most of the kids met. Another year was quite the opposite, although we learned some valuable lessons about self-motivation and accountability.

I knew I forgot a really important one - Tapestry of Grace.

I think I would tie it with Classical Conversations.

So its sounds like the teacher added something to Beautiful Feet. Remember if used as-is how would you rate it.

I knew I forgot a really important one - Tapestry of Grace.

I think I would tie it with Classical Conversations.

So its sounds like the teacher added something to Beautiful Feet. Remember if used as-is how would you rate it.

Uummm...If used exactly as is TOG is WAY ahead of CC. And I was in CC for several years, had kids do 3 Challenge levels. There is very, very little analysis in CC and much of the first couple of years is very shallow. The output is there but the input is poor.

I'm not sure about the first 5 on your list but I think that I agree with you. I've never seen Notgrass though!

My ratings would look like this...

1. Notgrass

2. Beautiful Feet

4. Sonlight

5. MFW

6. Classical Conversations

7. Abeka (challenging because of the way it is written/set up, but not particularly deep)

8. BJU

9. Ambleside Online

10. TWTM & LCC (It's a tie!)

11. Veritas Press (Omnibus)

Where would WinterPromise and Oakmeadow go, I wonder?

Disclaimer, boy this is all subjective, lol

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
added something.

Uummm...If used exactly as is TOG is WAY ahead of CC. And I was in CC for several years, had kids do 3 Challenge levels. There is very, very little analysis in CC and much of the first couple of years is very shallow. The output is there but the input is poor.

I'm not sure about the first 5 on your list but I think that I agree with you. I've never seen Notgrass though!

My ratings would look like this...

1. Notgrass

2. Beautiful Feet

4. Sonlight

5. MFW

6. Classical Conversations

7. Abeka (challenging because of the way it is written/set up, but not particularly deep)

8. BJU

9. Ambleside Online

10. TWTM & LCC (It's a tie!)

11. Veritas Press (Omnibus)

Where would WinterPromise and Oakmeadow go, I wonder?

Disclaimer, boy this is all subjective, lol

Georgia

I also don't know about the first 5, except to know that I've heard they are lighter, and I'm not familiar with LCC for high school, but I would agree with this list. There are also the online options and the Catholic high school programs that I am not familiar with, but I think some of those are pretty challenging.