Menu

Would this be a deterrent?

Our newspaper was delivered with a big note on it saying that "if you are caught stealing this newspaper you could face a $5000 fine and 1 year in jail". We've never had our newspaper stolen but it must be a big enough problem for the newspaper co. if they put this note with all papers. That said, do you really think knowing that could be the result would stop someone?

That's what I was thinking. I suppose if someone was right there and saw you take it, it would be one thing. But how are they going to prove it otherwise?

I would have to call my local newspaper and dfind out what was going on if I got that.

It's really kind of funny. Are the police on the lookout for newspaper poachers all of a sudden by you?

I forget Jean, are you out in the wild too? Rural area?

Edited by Jennifer3141

It probably IS the crazy coupon folks which is sad. Newspaper guy in our area just got fired for stealing the inserts for his crazy coupon wife. Too many others coupon crazed people went half mad when their inserts were missing and called the paper office - they launched an investigation which resulted in the lost job.

Extreme Couponing showed a lady stealing the papers from foreclosed homes. I thought that was wrong.

(Full disclaimer: I am a coupon nut myself :lol:)

Extreme Couponing showed a lady stealing the papers from foreclosed homes. I thought that was wrong.

How interesting! It's not something I would do myself, but if the home is abandoned I wouldn't expect the paper to be picked up by the subscriber, and if it's not is it really stealing? Curious what other people think. :bigear:

We had problems with our mail a decade+ ago. Then Grampa taped up the Federal laws regarding mail tampering. As long as it was up, we had no problems with our mail.

I think some people are genuinely ignorant about the EXTENT of the trouble they can get into and knowing what the risk is can be a deterrant.

I'd think some people who wouldn't otherwise have bothered stealing the newspaper would take it as a challenge.

:blushing: That might be me...

The girl who won't lie and only ever stole 1 thing in her life when she was 7.

Total reverse psychology at work.

Our newspaper was delivered with a big note on it saying that "if you are caught stealing this newspaper you could face a $5000 fine and 1 year in jail". We've never had our newspaper stolen but it must be a big enough problem for the newspaper co. if they put this note with all papers. That said, do you really think knowing that could be the result would stop someone?

When I was running papers downtown a few years ago, we'd actually use notes like that. And yes, it often did work but we only used it when we were having a persistent theft problem for a customer.

When I was running papers downtown a few years ago, we'd actually use notes like that. And yes, it often did work but we only used it when we were having a persistent theft problem for a customer.

I would assume then it must be in the general area then because I've never had a problem personally. I'm glad that it worked. I bet that it must be expensive for the newspaper co (or is it the carrier?) to replace lost/stolen newspapers. I've only had them replace it once and that was when the paper was soaked through with rain and I couldn't read it.