Menu

What to do with the average 6th grader/Please critique my choices

I'm wrestling with decisions for next year and am wondering what others have done with 6th graders who are average students. I have a few solid selections, but am having a hard time with some subjects.

Here are my choices so far:

History/Literature/Biographies: Ambleside Year 6

Math: Math Mammoth 6, CWP 5, & probably Life of Fred Pre-Algebra 1 day/week (which means MM will likely take longer than 36 weeks)

Poetry: finish Grammar of Poetry--We're moving through this *really* slowly.

Latin: finish Latin Prep 1 & begin Latin Prep 2

Bible: CBS-Genesis; I have Herein is Love: Genesis so we'll go through that together. I also have The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study and may add that in, although I'd like for the kids to be able to do it together & am not sure that ds is ready.

LA: CLE 6 or Advanced Language Lessons or AG or Mother Tongue (Arnold/Kittredge); I have several issues of the Arrow & Boomerang so will do those as well. In a perfect world, I'd use Rod & Staff, but it doesn't work for dd at all.

Science: She's done Singapore MPH 5 this year so I was planning to have her do MPH 6 for 6th, Chemistry (McHenry texts, Inquiry in Action, various other books, TC lectures) in 7th, & some sort of textbook in 8th. I'm wondering if I should have her start with a text in 7th though so that would move Chemistry back to 6th grade instead of 7th. Or I could do BJUP 6 in 6th, Chemistry in 7th, and some other text in 8th. I'd like for her to be able to take Biology as a 9th grader. I'm leaning towards not having her do the AO nature readings for this year so theoretically she could do MPH and Chemistry. Realistically though...

Reading: I'm considering CLE 6, but am not sure it's actually necessary. I *loathed* reading class as a student & have chosen not to inflict it on my children, but everyone I know irl who uses it loves it. I do have Figuratively Speaking & am planning to make selective use of it next year.

Writing: Ugh. I just bought the Writer's Jungle so we'll do that, but I think she'll need more instruction. I bought several Scholastic downloads from the $1 sale and will be going through those over the long weekend to familiarize myself with them. She narrates orally (ala CM) very well. She can do written narration, but I've been lax in making her do so, partially b/c it takes her *forever* and partially b/c her oral narrations are so much better than her written ones.

I have CW Homer, but I had it last year too and never did anything with it. I have considered doing the online webinar for Homer, but dd does everything very, very slowly & I just don't know that there will be time to do Homer properly along with everything else she needs to be doing. I might just buy Writing With Skill and get rid of Homer so it stops looking at me.

I also have & am planning to continue with Killgallon books, but most days it doesn't take much time.

Logic: I'm thinking she can wait until 7th, but am willing to be convinced that I'm wrong.

Any suggestions? Is this too much, not enough? Am I missing anything?

I have an academically average 6th grader. :)

Things I am doing a bit different: combining reading and literature, covering writing through other subjects and definitely waiting on logic classes.

Math - Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals w/ LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals (I decided to move away from Singapore after level 4, which she is still finishing. Math is such a struggle for her.)

Science - Galore Park's SYRWTL Science 1

History - Galore Park's SYRWTL History 1

Literature - Literary Lessons through Lord of the Rings (her strong subject)

Poetry - Kolbe Jr. High Poetry (stretched out to 1 semester, followed by Kolbe Jr. High Short Stories also stretched to a semester)

English - online FLVS Advanced English 6

Spanish - online FLVS Jr. High Spanish 1

Art - online FLVS Jr. High 2D Art (drawing class)

She loves creative writing and music. She takes guitar lessons and spends most of her free time playing her guitar, keyboard and recorder or writing stories.

Edited by Melissa B

Mine is doing:

Math: Saxon 7/6 with some Life of Fred

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study - Quest: Promises Fulfilled as well as daily Bible reading and memorization. I'm considering not only doing small verses with the family but having him do a LONG passage of some sort - maybe the book of James or Romans 12, etc.

Science: WTM style with Science Encylopedias, outlining, rewriting, some living books, and occasional experiments from Jean Cleave books

History: TOG

Literature: TOG and some free choice reading

Writing: History and Science writings AND he's taking Writer's Workshop at Potters School online

English: R&S 6

Vocab: Word Roots finish A2 and do B1 and B2

Logic: Finish Orbiting with Logic and hopefully do Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox

Art: Picture and Artist study

Language: I'm REALLY considering starting Elementary Greek and having that done (it's 3 years) by high school

Music: A Classical music "survey" learning all about the different instruments as well as basic recorder

I'm not very familiar with a lot of what you are planning to use, but it looks good to me. Are you doing any spelling? I think I'm going to buy McHenry's The Elements and work on it over the summer with the boys. They would all love it and it should be easy enough to complete in that time period.

My upcoming 6th grader is very average academically (although he has made HUGE leaps this year in math and science; he's still pretty average though). Many of the things we tried using this year were a flop, combined with the fact that it was just a difficult year (2 moves, 1 from overseas; getting used to a 4 day at home school week; etc.). I feel like most of this year was a complete wash.

I really want to ramp up his learning this coming year and challenge him a little more. I have been agonizing over curriculum for weeks now and I think I am finally settled on the following:

Reading: Figuratively Speaking with a literature list compiled by me (I like the idea of a lit program, and we tried one this year, but this kid struggles with reading and I really want him to develop a love for it.)

Grammar: Giggly Guide to Grammar and a diagramming book (nothing has worked for Grammar with this kid, so I'm hoping by making it goofy it will keep his interest)

Writing: Write Source and Wordsmith Apprentice (again, LA is his week area and I want to keep it as fun for him as possible)

Spelling: All About Spelling (he's zipping through these for now, but I expect him to slow down; he's a horrible speller like his father)

Vocabulary: probably going with Sadlier-Oxford Vocab Workshop (I know vocab isn't necessary, but I don't think we're going to get to Latin and DH and I want the kids prepared for SAT's; his vocab is weak and he's expressed interest in working on it)

History: SOTW Volume 4

Science: MPH 5/6 (he loves science so I'm going to start with the grade 5 books and he should be able to work through all 4 by the end of the year)

Math: CLE Grade 6 (he hates math, but I am amazed by his progress with this curriculum)

Geography: Evan Moor 7 Continents series (*I* LOVE geography and am looking forward to working through these books with the kids and adding in cooking and living books)

Logic: Building Thinking Skills Book 2 (this takes no time at all and is something he can do if he's waiting on me to finish with his siblings; he's not ready for serious logic yet)

Here are DD's 6th grade plans:

Abeka Math 6

Easy Grammar 6

IEW Myths and Fairy Tales

English from the Roots Up

Megawords 3-4

Apologia Astronomy

Evan-Moor Geography and practice for National Geography Bee

SOTW Vol 1 with Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

WTM Ancient History Logic Stage Reading Recommendations

Bible Verses for Copywork

Group Violin Lessons

My 6th grader will be doing:

SL 5

R&S Math 6/CLE 5/Hands On Equations

IEW Writing Class/Sentence Composing

La Clase Divertida II (Spanish)

Saxon Grammar & Writing 6 (just the grammar)

SRA's Spelling Mastery

Typing

EPS Reading Comprehension Books

IEW's Poetry Memorization

Wordsmart Vocabulary

I'd love to have him do CLE's reading, but there is just no time for it. I keep trying to figure how I could squeeze it in, but our days are long as it is. It's all the extra little things that are each supposed to take 15 minutes (Sentence Composing, Hands On Equations, Poetry Memorization, Wordsmart, Typing, Comprehension books) that make our days too long.

Lisa

Looking over your selections, I would like to gently suggest that perhaps your rising 6th grader isn't so avg after all. Those are great selections and it looks like she is a very solid student. :) It sounds like writing is the only area that needs improvement. I think you're choices are fine. And I wouldn't add logic to the load you are describing.

Thank you all so much for sharing your lists. You've given me some new ideas. :)

Things I am doing a bit different: combining reading and literature, covering writing through other subjects and definitely waiting on logic classes.

Literature - Literary Lessons through Lord of the Rings (her strong subject)

She loves creative writing and music. She takes guitar lessons and spends most of her free time playing her guitar, keyboard and recorder or writing stories.

I'm considering combining reading and lit. That's what we've always done in the past. I'm planning to do LLTLOTR for 7th (with AO7) so between that and Figuratively Speaking hopefully we'll be covered. I'll probably go ahead and do CLE reading with my rising 4th grader. He doesn't seem to "get" lit the way dd did at the same age.

Dd is a story and poem writer as well. She'll write fine on her own, but is resistant to doing specific assignments, receiving editorial advice, etc. She's utterly convinced that her writing is perfect just the way it is. :rolleyes:

I'm not very familiar with a lot of what you are planning to use, but it looks good to me. Are you doing any spelling?

Grammar: Giggly Guide to Grammar and a diagramming book (nothing has worked for Grammar with this kid, so I'm hoping by making it goofy it will keep his interest)

We're not doing any specific spelling right now. I bought Simply Spelling last month & like it, but haven't been very faithful in implementing it. Spelling is one of the reasons I'm considering CLE for LA. They do include a bit, and then if I make sure to do studied dictation 1-2x/week I think she'll be covered.

I just looked at Giggly Guide to Grammar. Wow. I think dd would *really* enjoy that. She's all about witty/sarcastic. I wonder if that combined with Latin & a diagramming book would be "enough". Hmmmm. Did you get just the student book or did you get the IG as well?

I'd love to have him do CLE's reading, but there is just no time for it. I keep trying to figure how I could squeeze it in, but our days are long as it is. It's all the extra little things that are each supposed to take 15 minutes (Sentence Composing, Hands On Equations, Poetry Memorization, Wordsmart, Typing, Comprehension books) that make our days too long.Lisa

This is my problem exactly. I have a few things that take a long time to do and then a bunch that are a few minutes here and there. The few minutes ones really mess with our days and then they get dropped entirely. I should start out the year a little less ambitious & schedule those things once or twice a week instead of daily.

It sounds like writing is the only area that needs improvement. I think you're choices are fine. And I wouldn't add logic to the load you are describing.

Thank you! I don't think I've ever told you how very very much I appreciate all of your posts, especially those on writing. I have all of the writing posts printed out and need to read through them again this weekend.

Edited by Lostinabook

Logic: I'm thinking she can wait until 7th, but am willing to be convinced that I'm wrong.

Any suggestions? Is this too much, not enough? Am I missing anything?

Looking over your selections, I would like to gently suggest that perhaps your rising 6th grader isn't so avg after all. Those are great selections and it looks like she is a very solid student. :) It sounds like writing is the only area that needs improvement. I think you're choices are fine. And I wouldn't add logic to the load you are describing.

:iagree: We didn't add logic as a class until later. There is logic in math, too. You can always have "if/then" type conversations for logic at this age.