Menu

Please prep students for tests before high school (PSA)

I am a longtime homeschooler but I have only administered standardized tests two times in a group setting. In both settings, with two different tests (Stanford and ITBS), I had one student who wasn't prepared for testing. What do I mean by that? Well in the first case it was a tenth grader who was doing a standardized test for the first time, who could obviously read (The Lord of the Rings series was her favorite books), but didn't know you should try to complete the test. We tested over a few days so the second day I mentioned she should try to finish the test in the time alloted. She did do better but I am so sure if she had prior practice before 10th grade, it would have been so much better.

Then this year, I was one of two proctors with a large group of high schoolers (I think 19). While in most years, the testing was finished before time ran out because the kids worked faster, this year none of the tests were done early. Why? One older student did not finish any test. Not only did he not finish them, on most he didn't do even half the test. I saw him working the entire time but it was apparent to me that he must have some LD. Now what I didn't understand is why he was taking the test at all in this situation. Didn't the parent know he was LD? IF so, why not do one of the other options available in this state- portfolio or letter? It was very clear to me that unless this kid has accommodations, he won't be able to finish any standardized test.

Why my announcement? Because if you are a parent who doesn't believe in testing but can see a future situation where it may be necessary (college entrance, military service, exam for some other job), starting with an occasional low stress test in middle school is a good idea. Being the only kid in high school testing situation that isn't experienced with test taking can't be a comfortable feeling and IMO, only lowers a score by introducing extra anxiety. OTOH, if your student has an LD or some other issue where regular standardized testing is problematic, either forego testing altogether, knowing this probably means community college to start or get a neuropsych evaluation and get prescribed accommodations for testing. It is hard for me to imagine that these kids I saw who had such problems with the tests scored well enough for the school system but maybe (I don't know how many you can miss and still be in the 23%ile level and I know it is not a miss five, so you get 95% but still I can't think that missing more than 50% on each and every section necessarily gets you to the required stanzine).

I had my youngest take a practice high school entrance exam at a local private school a few months ago. He'll have to take it "for real" next year.

I tried to prepare him for the situation b/c he had never taken a test like that away from me before. As we were driving to the school, I giving him a pep talk, reviewing some of the tips I had given him, etc. I asked him if he had any questions.

He looked straight at me and and asked, "So, if there is a question I don't understand, should I just raise my hand and ask the guy to explain it?"

Face palm. :svengo:

I love that kid. His sweet little innocent face. What the h3ll am I going to do when he goes to high school?

I don't mean prep like teach to the test or anything like that. I meant have the child do some testing earlier than high school as a prep for tests that mean something. The first tests don't have to be in a group setting. I just think it is a lot less stressful for kids doing testing to have had experience with them. So doing the testing at around age 12, maybe at home, is a much less stressful experience than starting at 15 or 16 in a group situation where the results can mean what college you get to go to or whether you get into a summer program you want or is your homeschooling being put on probation.

I had my youngest take a practice high school entrance exam at a local private school a few months ago. He'll have to take it "for real" next year.

I tried to prepare him for the situation b/c he had never taken a test like that away from me before. As we were driving to the school, I giving him a pep talk, reviewing some of the tips I had given him, etc. I asked him if he had any questions.

He looked straight at me and and asked, "So, if there is a question I don't understand, should I just raise my hand and ask the guy to explain it?"

Face palm. :svengo:

I love that kid. His sweet little innocent face. What the h3ll am I going to do when he goes to high school?

Interesting - it never occurred to me that we could do this (take the high school entrance exam a year earlier). When he takes it again next year, will the school he is applying to see the older score?

My kids will be applying to a school that uses the HSPT, but the testing occurs only at the particular school. Maybe I'll hunt around for another school that uses that test.

Interesting - it never occurred to me that we could do this (take the high school entrance exam a year earlier). When he takes it again next year, will the school he is applying to see the older score? No. The school hand scored the exam and they said the score won't have an effect on next year's test even at this same school. It was purely for practice.

My kids will be applying to a school that uses the HSPT, but the testing occurs only at the particular school. Maybe I'll hunt around for another school that uses that test. I picked a school far enough away from us that he couldn't go there even if he wanted to. :lol:

That's the test they use here, too.

I wanted to add that I think that they give the practice test so they can get the boys into the schools. I swear these schools are like used car salesmen, once they get your name and number, they won't let up.

I am glad DS did it. It was his first experience and it gave me a picture of where he is at right now.

I showed him the format of the test and the different sections and types of questions but we didn't do any actual questions.

I'd definitely look around if I were you. Around here, your scholarship is based entirely on the test, not grades or anything else.

I wanted to add that I think that they give the practice test so they can get the boys into the schools. I swear these schools are like used car salesmen, once they get your name and number, they won't let up.

I am glad DS did it. It was his first experience and it gave me a picture of where he is at right now.

I showed him the format of the test and the different sections and types of questions but we didn't do any actual questions.

I'd definitely look around if I were you. Around here, your scholarship is based entirely on the test, not grades or anything else.

That's very helpful info, thank you!! I'm surprised the boys' schools are pushing hard for business there. I hadn't really thought about scholarships. (come to think of it, I had a scholarship to my high school based on test results, and I have reason to believe, from your siggy, that we might share the same alma mater)

That's very helpful info, thank you!! I'm surprised the boys' schools are pushing hard for business there. I hadn't really thought about scholarships. (come to think of it, I had a scholarship to my high school based on test results, and I have reason to believe, from your siggy, that we might share the same alma mater)

Oh, dear...I was a very bad student there...:)

Is it the school with the big statue of the Jesus with his arms outstretched right inside the main entrance?

Maroon & white colors?

About the school motto: I didn't put it in my signature b/c I graduated from there. I put it there because I love the motto, KWIM?

I don't understand how the girl could not have realized she should try and finish the test. Surely there were instructions? It's been a while (a long, long while), but I am sure that we were always given instructions before taking a standardized test. Why do you think she didn't try to finish, as opposed to being unable to finish?

Oh, dear...I was a very bad student there...:)

Is it the school with the big statue of the Jesus with his arms outstretched right inside the main entrance?

Maroon & white colors?

About the school motto: I didn't put it in my signature b/c I graduated from there. I put it there because I love the motto, KWIM?

:lol: "meet you at the Jesus" (not to worry, I don't know anyone from there who is hs-ing ;))

I do like to think Sr Rosamund would have been proud of the Roman war gore dd's learning from Henle

Why my announcement? Because if you are a parent who doesn't believe in testing but can see a future situation where it may be necessary (college entrance, military service, exam for some other job), starting with an occasional low stress test in middle school is a good idea.

Thanks for posting this. A few weeks ago, I signed up my ending-the-5th-grade daughter to take an achievement test for the first time. My reasoning was simply that she needs to get used to taking these kinds of tests, in these kinds of situations, because the PSAT and SAT are so very important to her future! Then, I was starting to regret signing her up, simply because I'm afraid my dh is going to freak out if she doesn't give a stellar performance in every area. But thanks for reminding me of my reasons for doing this: for her sake, not for dh. :D I will remind him that this is her first time testing like this, and she needs a little leeway. We are doing this more for the experience than for the test results.

:lol: "meet you at the Jesus" (not to worry, I don't know anyone from there who is hs-ing ;))

I do like to think Sr Rosamund would have been proud of the Roman war gore dd's learning from Henle

Does the word "kadoodle-hopper" mean anything to you?

Or the Pillow Room?

PMing you.

:D

Does the word "kadoodle-hopper" mean anything to you?

Or the Pillow Room?

PMing you.

:D

LOL! See, kadoodle-hopper pegs you as close to my class because the nun who said that (can't remember her name) was relatively new to the school, I think, when we had her for history freshman year. LOL the pillow room - that must have been Sr Mary's room.... PMing you back ;) small world....

That's good advice. I'm having my son take the Iowa test this week. It's his first time taking a standardized test. He's got Asperger's and other struggles. He's very bright, but had a lot of anxiety about tests. I told him he should start getting used to the process of taking standardized tests when the results don't really matter. He did fine Monday, although it sounds like he needs to work a little faster (he said he finished all the sections, but some he finished right before time was up). We did do a little bit of a test prep workbook, and I talked to him about doing the problems you know first, then go back to any you weren't sure of, etc. Also, since his math skills have come a long way this year, but he's still weak in math, I ordered the test a grade level behind his actual grade, to make it less stressful this first time.

Wendi

LOL! See, kadoodle-hopper pegs you as close to my class because the nun who said that (can't remember her name) was relatively new to the school, I think, when we had her for history freshman year. LOL the pillow room - that must have been Sr Mary's room.... PMing you back ;) small world....

Donna

This is very good advice. I used to facilitate the WASL (old Washington grade level exams) for homeschoolers. I saw several kids sitting there crying, because they just got overwhelmed.

Different test have different formats and it is very beneficial for them to see a little of all of them.

~~SOme exams count every problem, and a problem not answered, is counted as a problem wrong. On these exams it is better to guess than leave it blank.

~~Some exams have a curve. A problem with no answer is worth fewer points off than a wrong answer. SO, guessing isn't nec a good idea.

~~Some tests are timed, some are not and the student can take as long as they want. The student should know this ahead of time. If the facilitator is expected to move to another room, they may lead the student to believe that they have to hand in an unfinished exam.

Some tests use scantron, fill in the bubble, or drop down boxes (if on the computer). A homeschooled student may not have seen these before.

Upper level math can get confusing when you have to put in a " / " for fractions or a decimal place on a 'fill in the bubble' type test. What may be obvious to some, need a few basic instructions, for those who have never seen it before.

Remind them of little tricks like check every 5th problem to make sure you are answering in the right bubble...lol If they tell you, that the test book is thrown away, WRITE your work or at least your answer in the book, so if you have time to go back and check your answers, you don't have to resolve them all.

Asking a question of the proctor, is different in different situations. Using a dictionary or calculator is also. Restroom breaks and such are usually discussed at the exam, but it is good to mention to a student to ask the proctor if they need to leave the room, never assume that if you are done, you can leave.....and you may especially not be allowed to reenter.

Some math tests that give the student area to work, will give the student credit for any work shown that shows a strategy to solving the problem. On these tests, the student can get points for a problem, even if they can't solve it by showing some kind of work. Even if the get the wrong answer, there are tests, where the student will still get a 3/4 points if they show enough work. Even pictures LOL just about anything that makes sense can get 1pt. LOL Same thing with an essay....some points are better than none.

We have had our kids in public schools, private Christian schools, homeschool/public school hybrids, private non-Christian schools and college. Every school has different ways of handling testing. I wholehearted agree that students should be doing a bit of test prep as they go through the year. A variety of components would be good. ie Some timed, some not. Some with bubbles, some with essays. Some with options like "a,b,c,d, a and b, a and c, none of the above". Some with strategies like different point values for questions, so if they run out of time, what is the most valuable to answer etc.

It doesn't have to be serious. It doesn't have to be rigorous. Just a bit of exposure is good.

And if they are going to do a certain test.....down load some test examples from the computer of that particular test to try first. Just so they know what the pattern is.

There were directions on each test. WIth the way the directions are phrased, some kids do not get the idea that it is better to guess than to leave blank. SOme kids take their natural inclination or maybe what was taught to them and think that if they aren't really sure, they shouldn't answer. Others were never taught and don't surmise that in tests where guesses don't get penalized (almost all tests ((CAT, Stanford, Iowa, ACT, etc,)) except the SAT, SAT II, etc,), the correct way to answer is to put down answers for all questions, even ones they don't know. There has been plenty of research that when people guess on these types of tests, they are more likely than random to get the correct answer if the material is just a bit beyond them. I wouldn't go so far as saying a 3rd grade will be guesing better than random on a 12th grade test but a 3rd grader on a sixth grade test, yes.