Menu

Open mouth. Insert foot.

However, in this case, I'm glad I did! We were at my oldest sons baseball game last night. My friend has a child on the other team, so we were sitting next to each other. After observing the other coach belittle and humiliate the kids on the other team, I said to my friend "Wow, your coach is a jerk. I would be really upset if we'd ended up on his team." (as a side note, we did try to get Zach on that team because his friend was on it. It didn't work out...THANKFULLY!) Anyway, the lady beside my friend glanced over when I said that, but she didn't say anything. After the game, I discovered it was his WIFE! :001_huh: Ooops. My DH is an assistant coach for my sons team and he even mentioned after the game how glad he was Zach didn't end up on that team and what a jerk he was being. I told my DH not to worry, his wife overheard me calling him a jerk. Honestly, while I probably wouldn't have said it if I knew it was his wife, I'm glad she heard. Maybe the message will get passed on to him. :tongue_smilie: Oh, for the record, my friend agreed with me. :)

As another side note, one reason I LOVE our coach is because last night at the end of the game, we were ahead and were going to win. (They play 1.5 hours no matter the score) Most runs for both teams were scored by stolen bases (both catchers have issues catching) and our coach wouldn't let our team steal home anymore in the last inning. After the game he told the boys that one of the most important lessons in sports is good sportsmanship. He told them the reason he wouldn't let them steal home anymore was because it wasn't good sportsmanship to run up the score when you were going to win. He would have let them run if we'd gotten a hit, but wouldn't let them steal home to add more points. I think that is really cool.

Anyway, the lady beside my friend glanced over when I said that, but she didn't say anything. After the game, I discovered it was his WIFE! :001_huh: Ooops.

:lol:

Don't worry, I bet she already knew he's a jerk. ;)

However, in this case, I'm glad I did! We were at my oldest sons baseball game last night. My friend has a child on the other team, so we were sitting next to each other. After observing the other coach belittle and humiliate the kids on the other team, I said to my friend "Wow, your coach is a jerk. I would be really upset if we'd ended up on his team." (as a side note, we did try to get Zach on that team because his friend was on it. It didn't work out...THANKFULLY!) Anyway, the lady beside my friend glanced over when I said that, but she didn't say anything. After the game, I discovered it was his WIFE! :001_huh: Ooops. My DH is an assistant coach for my sons team and he even mentioned after the game how glad he was Zach didn't end up on that team and what a jerk he was being. I told my DH not to worry, his wife overheard me calling him a jerk. Honestly, while I probably wouldn't have said it if I knew it was his wife, I'm glad she heard. Maybe the message will get passed on to him. :tongue_smilie: Oh, for the record, my friend agreed with me. :)

As another side note, one reason I LOVE our coach is because last night at the end of the game, we were ahead and were going to win. (They play 1.5 hours no matter the score) Most runs for both teams were scored by stolen bases (both catchers have issues catching) and our coach wouldn't let our team steal home anymore in the last inning. After the game he told the boys that one of the most important lessons in sports is good sportsmanship. He told them the reason he wouldn't let them steal home anymore was because it wasn't good sportsmanship to run up the score when you were going to win. He would have let them run if we'd gotten a hit, but wouldn't let them steal home to add more points. I think that is really cool.

I don't get why people don't SAY something to the BELITTLER and HUMILIATOR?

You heard him. Your friend heard him.

Why doesn't anyone tell him to stop?

Ouch. My husband coaches. It takes significant time away from our family and sometimes it even takes time away from his job. Plus, when I go to games I have no help from him in watching our toddler and other children.

I would be hurt if I overheard anyone saying anything like that about my husband. I would not pass the message onto him.

Ouch. My husband coaches. It takes significant time away from our family and sometimes it even takes time away from his job. Plus, when I go to games I have no help from him in watching our toddler and other children.

I would be hurt if I overheard anyone saying anything like that about my husband. I would not pass the message onto him.

No sacrifice gives an adult the right to belittle or humiliate children. Period.

I don't get why people don't SAY something to the BELITTLER and HUMILIATOR?

You heard him. Your friend heard him.

Why doesn't anyone tell him to stop?

Very good point. For me, I don't feel comfortable confronting a man, especially since it wasn't my child who he was belittling. If my child were on the team, I'd sick my husband on him :001_smile:

This is a VERY small town league. We chose it because it was less competitive than our local team. There are only 4 practices and games. I would be embarrassed if I heard someone say that about my DH. I'd probably use it as a way to let me him know it wasn't just be who thought he was being a jerk! :tongue_smilie:

My husband does too. BUT, my husband doesn't belittle or yell at the children. If he did, I'd want someone to say something.

I half agree with you. :001_smile: My dh coaches too. It is a huge commitment and sometimes it is extremely frustrating. Especially when you have kids on your team that absolutely do not care about learning the game. Yeah, that coach probably was a jerk. I wonder if he is like that all the time or the frustration of the game finally got to him. Sounds like his team was losing pretty badly. Sometimes coaches have bad days. We are all human.

To the OP, is this an organized group like Little League? LL has a board. If your friend thinks this coach is this way most of the time, I'd make sure the board or other "higher ups" knew about it so he isn't allowed to coach again next year. We are dealing with that this year. One of our major coaches will definitely not be allowed back to coach. (And I wouldn't confront the other coach on my own either!)

I half agree with you. :001_smile: My dh coaches too. It is a huge commitment and sometimes it is extremely frustrating. Especially when you have kids on your team that absolutely do not care about learning the game. Yeah, that coach probably was a jerk. I wonder if he is like that all the time or the frustration of the game finally got to him. Sounds like his team was losing pretty badly. Sometimes coaches have bad days. We are all human.

To the OP, is this an organized group like Little League? LL has a board. If your friend thinks this coach is this way most of the time, I'd make sure the board or other "higher ups" knew about it so he isn't allowed to coach again next year. We are dealing with that this year. One of our major coaches will definitely not be allowed back to coach. (And I wouldn't confront the other coach on my own either!)

Well, according to my friend, he was acting this way the game they won too. How do you know if it's a "Little League" team or not? This is just a small town rec team. Hmmmm. I will just be thankful we have a great coach.

Well, according to my friend, he was acting this way the game they won too. How do you know if it's a "Little League" team or not? This is just a small town rec team. Hmmmm. I will just be thankful we have a great coach.

If it's a town rec team, then you can call the town recreation department.

Hopefully, someone else will turn this guy in.

Those poor kids.

That's why someone should have stepped in and said something to him. Because he's human and he was diminishing himself by treating children that way.

At the very least, you (general you) could go up and whisper to an ump that the coach is stepping over the line.

If it's a town rec team, then you can call the town recreation department.

Hopefully, someone else will turn this guy in.

Those poor kids.

OP, you would know if it is Little League. It does sound like this is an ongoing problem and the guy is unfit to coach. I'd encourage your friend to say something to the organizers so he isn't allowed to coach again.

Unsinkable, I agree someone could have said something to the ump.