Menu

Inexpensive things to do in Tulsa

Any ideas? Things that would interest a 10year old boy and a 14 year old boy. Maybe a half day worth of 'stuff'....we are going to be spending the night Friday night and going to a party Saturday evening, so we will have most of Saturday free.

Anyone gone to the Gilcrease museum? There is always the zoo....but just looking for ideas.

Also, a nice hotel that isn't too expensive....with a pool!

http://www.tulsaairandspacemuseum.org/index.php

You might check out the events calendar:

http://www.americantowns.com/ok/tulsa/events

I know there is a geoscience museum and a western heritage ranch, but I can't find them on the net right now.

Close to Tulsa:

http://www.perrymanranch.com/

http://www.bluebell.com/the_little_creamery/visiting_blue_bell/VisitBB_BrokenArrow.html

About an hour away (but both of these are worth it if you have time):

http://www.woolaroc.org/

http://www.travelok.com/Tahlequah

The best hotel with a pool will be the Radisson, if that's in your budget. They have an indoor water park called Leapin' Louie's. Otherwise, I'm not really sure... I've never stayed at a hotel here before! ;)

As for activities, the aquarium is nice but a little on the pricey side for my taste. It's in Jenks, which is on the southwest side of town.

The zoo is good but hit up a grocery store or fast food joint and bring your own lunch... I'm not fond of the food or their prices. The air and space museum is only good if they're into that kind of thing - my son enjoys going, but my daughter gets bored fast. It's up by the zoo.

Both kids enjoy Gilcrease and Philbrook (another art museum), and the grounds at both are gorgeous. There's Safari's Sanctuary in Broken Arrow, which is a rescue facility for wild animals and would probably be good for their age. If you're coming this weekend, Mayfest will be going on downtown. If you're an outdoorsy family, you could hit up Riverside or Oxley Nature Center. Oxley is near the zoo, in the same park but at the far end, and the Riverside trails, if you go far enough south, will run you into the aquarium.

Hope this helps!

So, from my days there... I have no idea if Casa Bonita is still going. I hear it reopened... but for lunch... as a kid... it was the best. (Games and a carousel) We loved it!!! And Chrystal's Pizza or something like that... next to it... but I think that's not there anymore. Gotta eat, right?? ;)

Thanks ladies! Sooooo many good ideas!

Casa Bonita! Funny you brought that up! I had not given it a thought in years and a friend reminded me of our days there as kids when we would visit bigger cities.

The Gilcrease looks like great prices......

And good to know about Mayfest going on downtown. Thanks again all.

Casa Bonita is closed.

The aquarium is too pricey for what they have, IMO.

The air and space museum is...eh.

Blue Bell ice cream factory isn't open for tours on the weekend. But don't worry, you won't miss much.

Woolaroc is fun IF the animals are out where you can see them on the drive in/out. The museum is really interesting though.

The zoo is alright. If the weather was great that would be my pick along with Oxley. But just a heads-up, the library's summer reading club starts on Saturday and they are having a big shin-dig at the zoo from 9-12. It will be craaaaazy busy. You also have to pay for parking at the zoo.

Tulsa is so boring. I really dislike living here. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that Casa Bonita reopened--although maybe under a new name.

Air & Space Museum is *eh* like Heather said, BUT the nice thing about it is that you can get through it in about an hour. It isn't that big. Plus, we like to sit and watch airplanes land and take off. I think my ds8 could do that for hours on end if we were patient enough.

Woodward Park is great. Free, beautiful, lots of squirrels who are so tame they can get a little freaky if they think you'll feed them. The Rose Gardens are right next door. I love to take the kids and hang out all day.

The Purple Glaze - a nice little pottery place where you can pick a piece that fits your taste and budget, paint/glaze/mosaic as you see fit, and then pick up the next day or so after they fire it for you.

Check the Tulsa PAC Calendar - sometimes they have free or cheap events.

Our kids love Woolaroc--whether the animals are out or not.

About an hour south of us is a good children's museum - Jasmine-Moran Children's Museum - Seminole, OK There's also the Kaleidoscope Museum in Tulsa, but we haven't been there yet so I can't vouch for its quality. (Maybe someone else can)

Bring bikes/skateboards/skates and spend the afternoon along the Riverwalk. (From about 31st street to 71st is what we usually do--there's a nice park with sprinklers down there)

There's a family golfing place somewhere....can't remember where. Seems like its in the Broken Arrow area. I have it on the list in my head as something we'd like to do this summer. (Regular golf - not miniature - I think it's only 9 holes)

Also check out the TulsaKids calendar.

I have this event on my list:

Shakespeare On the Lawn: Taming of the Shrew

Bring picnic basket & chair or blanket. 8 p.m. (lawn opens at 6:30 p.m.). May 27, 28 & June 3 & 4. Philbrook Museum of Art, 2727 S. Rockford Rd. Info: 748-5382.

Our favorite family eating places (approximate addresses):

Thai Village Cuisine - 81st & Lewis

Ri-Le's - 91st & Yale

Smashburger - 71st & hwy 75 (Olympia shopping center)

Peachwave - same as above

Hideaway Pizza - one on 15th st (cherry st), one next to the Dickinson Theater, another one somewhere else. You can Google it. :lol:

Spaghetti Warehouse - Downtown. Not really my favorite place, but the kids like it.

Gypsy Coffee House - Downtown about a block from Spaghetti Warehouse. Sometimes they have live local bands, probably don't want to do that on Friday night unless you're into crowds.

I actually love living in the Tulsa area. Tulsa has a lot of culture for a city its size, and we can always find something to do. :001_smile:

Crystal's is long gone, (I still miss it) and Casa Bonita recently closed again. The aquarium is way too expensive. I vote for the Gilcrease and Philbrook museums. The zoo would also be a good choice.

I agree about the aquarium--we've only been a couple of times because it's so expensive. The zoo is a much better choice. I think the trick to the zoo is to take the time to see the little things, like the Helmerich Discovery Center and the COX Nature Exchange.

The best hotel with a pool will be the Radisson, if that's in your budget. They have an indoor water park called Leapin' Louie's. Otherwise, I'm not really sure... I've never stayed at a hotel here before! ;)

Hope this helps!

That Radisson has a $149 deal which is one night, 4 tickets to Leapin' Louie's, a large pizza and 4 drinks, and 4 breakfast buffets the next morning. Thanks!

10 and 14 year old boy--I think Philbrook or Gilcrease are good bets. I agree about skipping the aquarium. Woodward park is beautiful, good place for a picnic or pictures. It's not a playing park. Incredible Pizza is a pizza buffet with video games, indoor put put, go carts, bowling, etc...

There is a renaissance fair going on in Muscogee, which is out of Tulsa but not too far. I think Kaleidoscope and Jasmine Moran would be too "young" to bother with.

My dd is having a dance recital, if the boys were inclined to want to watch. It's free. :)

Edited by snickelfritz

Philbrook and Gilcrease are two that dh is interested in and he thinks the boys will enjoy. We are going to skip Incredible Pizza and go back for that when my ds11 can be with us.

I am still reading...thanks for all the replies! Very helpful...well, Heather in OK was a little bit of a downer....:tongue_smilie: LOL...

Oh, but I do agree the aquarium is overpriced....I'ved been twice and that is enough for now.

Oh oh....CherryBerry!!! Way better than any other fro yo place in town. Be sure to get some CherryBerry!

Very helpful...well, Heather in OK was a little bit of a downer...

Hey, I'm just being honest. ;) Compared to other cities, Tulsa really sucks as far as the quality of what is here for kids/families.

YAY! I'm glad the Radisson worked out. :D

For those who mentioned it, I personally do NOT recommend the Kaleidoscope Children's Museum. I have anecdotes to back it up. I've been twice, which was one time too many IMHO. We only went back because we had to entertain out-of-state guests for a week and they REALLY REALLY wanted to go. Plus the OP's boys are definitely too old.

If you do hit up the Philbrook and the Gilcrease, there are kits that the boys can pick up if they're interested. Your kids might be too old to enjoy some of the stuff - the scavenger hunts or some of the more basic info provided - but both places offer drawing materials and sketch pads in their kits. Both places also offer audio tours. Gilcrease has an archive area in their lower level where you can use computers to browse artifacts, read the information about them, and then use the reference numbers to open the drawer where that particular item is located. My kids will spend hours "doing research" in this section. I personally would hit up Philbrook as soon as they open and Gilcrease later in the day, since parking is limited at the Philbrook and seems to fill up fast.

Casa Bonita is definitely closed, but there are lots of really good eateries around town. I'd happily share some of my favorites if you want ;) Clearly I like to talk about this town... it's the biggest city I've ever lived in!