Menu

If your child is musically talented - q's inside.

Sevilla

First: Our budget is limited. As much as I would like to have my kids in all the activities they would enjoy, that's just not possible. We have to choose just one or two per year that aren't free.

Now...onto DS (early elementary). DH and I both come from musical families, and those traits run STRONGLY in DS. He's also mathematically gifted and those two traits (math and music) have a strong correlation. He can pick up something like a harmonica and pick out the notes to music he's heard elsewhere (matching the pitch). He can sing on key and even harmonize without being taught. He can play a kiddie piano following color-coded music in a book, same with hand bells. He enjoys reading his hymn books, ha. Etc... (there are many more examples of his strength in this area). All that to say...I'm really feeling like this is a talent that needs to be supported and encouraged, because music brings him a lot of joy, he seems to have a natural affinity for it, and it will benefit him throughout life.

My question is what types of activities would be beneficial to him vs. what kind would just be fun enrichment but optional. Again, our $$ are limited and I want to spend this money wisely in a way that brings long-term benefit.

Are just basic piano lessons sufficient? Should we look at something else? What about the advanced Kindermusik classes that go over exposure to various instruments and learning to read music?

Edited by Sevilla

I think that piano lessons is a really good basis that can be expanded from later. I don't know how old your ds is, but if he is young maybe he would benefit from Pianimals piano course. I have used this with one of my dd's and she loves it. It comes with cds and the child plays along with the cd backing, developing listening skills and musicality, and introducing note reading gradually.

My dd is in book 3 of this series and teaches herself the songs as she goes (just because she wants to.) However, I pulled out a much more advanced book the other day to see how she would go and spent about 10 minutes teaching her a jazz piece. By the next day she had mastered this piece and will play it in an eisteddfod next week. I'm amazed that the knowledge she gained from Pianimals was so easily carried over into more advanced works. This dd is quite talented (she also plays violin) but I think Pianimals helped to develop her music and piano skills really well.

Might be worth a look.

http://www.pianimals.com/

At 3, I switched my girls from Kindrmusik -which we loved- to http://www.harmonyroadmusic.com/locations/ . dd10 has just graduated from this program. Contrary to all the opinions that teaching solfege is "harmful," dd has been taking traditional violin lessons for a year, and made the transition smoothly, so I do not anticipate a problem with traditional piano lessons.

At 3, I switched my girls from Kindrmusik -which we loved- to http://www.harmonyroadmusic.com/locations/ . dd10 has just graduated from this program. Contrary to all the opinions that teaching solfege is "harmful," dd has been taking traditional violin lessons for a year, and made the transition smoothly, so I do not anticipate a problem with traditional piano lessons.

I had my son in Kindermusik for one semester of Kindermusik for the Young Child, which is their program for 4-6 year olds to start on the path to music literacy. First they learn songs by rote, then they learn about rhythms using Kodaly terms (ie. a quarter note is a "ta", two eighth notes are "ti-ti"). At the end of the first semester they are given a glockenspiel to use and are introduced to the high C (third line on the treble clef) and A (second line on the treble clef). Kindermusik for the Young Child uses the note's name (instead of solfege like Harmony Road). I liked it, but my son balked at going so we stopped it. In the second semester, he would have continued using the glockenspiel and learning more notes on the treble clef. The third semester, they use a two-string dulcimer, and the fourth semester, a recorder. You can find many, many videos on YouTube of Kindermusik for the Young Child classes to give you a better idea. So in essence, Kindermusik for the Young Child is teaching the children to read music without needing the physical coordination to play a "real" instrument.

Harmony Road (mentioned above) and Music for Young Children are offshoots of the Yamaha Music School. They all used an electronic keyboard to teach beginning music theory. Some of the use solfege, some of them use note names. If you are looking for group classes, which may be cheaper than private lessons, you may want to look into one of these programs.

Also, Musikgarten (an offshoot of Kindermusik; started by the same founders) has a keyboard program too.

But to be very honest, your son seems so advanced that I would give a vote for a really good piano teacher (unless he is really hankering for another instrument), if you can afford it.

Edited by Shifra

I vote for Suzuki violin lessons. Not sure of the age of your son, but Suzuki usually begins quite early - age 4 or 5 is the normal in our group.

:iagree:You wouldn't have to do violin; viola, cello, piano, guitar, flute, etc. are also options. IMO Suzuki is the best way to go, especially with young kids.

I think any suzuki is a great choice. But, if suzuki isn't available in your area, I think regular old piano lessons are just fine. I live in a big suzuki town and my kids have had Suzuki piano lessons. Now, for a number of reasons, they are having more traditional lessons. We are just as happy and they are learning just as much.

So, I vote for piano, suzuki if possible but it's not a deal breaker.

I am a HUGE believer in Musikgarten. They have wonderful, WONDERFUL group piano classes. But, I would ask him what sort of music he is interested in, if there is an instrument (with available lessons) that he would like to learn. By elementary school, I'm guessing he has an opinion. I would also look into children's choirs.

My oldest ds, almost 12, is gifted in music and math. Actually, we knew he was a math whiz, but it wasn't until he started piano lessons that we found out how phenominal he is at music as well. I would say that piano lessons with a great teacher are an absolute must. I would start with piano as it is a basis for other instruments and your child will learn a lot of theory in the lessons. Then I would expose him to lots of classical music and composers (Classical Kids CDs are wonderful). I don't know much about the music classes you mentioned and mine have been in ps the past 4 years, but I would suggest starting smaller and building if he chooses to prevent burnout.

I would say that piano lessons with a great teacher are an absolute must. I would start with piano as it is a basis for other instruments and your child will learn a lot of theory in the lessons. Then I would expose him to lots of classical music and composers (Classical Kids CDs are wonderful).

:iagree:

Mastering the piano is a wonderful way to begin a child's musical journey, as it can lead to so much. Exposure is also key. In addition to CDs I would try to take him to a concert or two. It is amazing how much live music can influence a child.

Music Ace is also a good resource. All three of my children learned a great deal from it.

Look for Suzuki recorder lessons if you are lucky enough to have a teacher nearby. Children as young as three can start recorder if they show interest.

1)Recorder lessons are usually slightly cheaper than piano lessons.

2) The purchase of a good recorder is a fraction of the price of even a cheap keyboard.

3) Fingerings for a recorder are similar to clarinet/sax/flute, if your child should take lessons for one of those at an older age.

--------------------------------

I don't know what age your child is, but our 4yo is enrolled in group piano lessons.

1) The price is a little cheaper than individual lessons.

2) Our child looks forward to piano lessons for the sake of the group dynamic. She wants to be part of the group, as any 4yo would want to be.

3) Musical games can be used to teach concepts in a group setting because it is a group lesson.

-------------------------------

As always, sit in on any music lessons your child takes, if possible. Then you will know what is taught, what is covered, and can reinforce it to your child at home. (This is a Suzuki tenet).

Since you mentioned that money is an issue (and it is in our home, too), sit down and practice with your child every day. Show an interest in their music to get the most bang for your buck.

In our situation, I practice with dd nearly every day. I reinforce things the teacher says and focus on things the teacher emphasized. We look a few pages ahead to see what will be covered in the next lesson, so dd will know what to expect. I also pay dd 25 cents every day we do this. To me, after the cost of piano lessons, a quarter is a drop in the bucket to motivate her to practice every day. Again, we want to get the most out of these lessons.

I vote for Suzuki violin lessons.

:iagree:

Suzuki music schools near us also teach guitar, piano, harp, flute, piano, viola, cello, and double bass. There are lots of choices.

What does your child want to do? Does he want to take lessons and learn to play an instrument?

We took oldest to an instrument petting zoo (a local orchestra had kids over to watch a dress rehearsal, fed them pizza, and then let them try out child-sized orchestral instruments). It was there that he decided he *had* to play the cello.

Edited by zaichiki