Menu

What writing curriculum do you like/dislike and why?

I am finalizing my choices for next year- and although I have asked a few questions about writing curriculum, I have never actually put alot of research into it. So before I finalize next years choices I would like to you what curriculum you like, what you didn't like and why. I am off to research. I have my HUGE stack of catalogs next to my computer and I am ready to put google into over drive but would like BTDT thoughts also! Thanks :001_smile:

Oh, I will have a 4th grader and an 8th grader (1st and K'er I am not to concerned about at the moment for actual writing beyond handwriting)

I am actually loving Comprehensive Composition see Cathy Duffy's review here. http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/comprehensive-composition.htm

Dd10 is working through the things she should cover at her level and it is super easy and great! I love all the ideas this author has come up with and she really spells it out for you. For instance, today dd10 learned how to write a business letter. In the book is a great example of how this should look and step by step directions on how to do it. It will take you from the very youngest all through high school. Anyway, this has become my latest jewel!

I am actually loving Comprehensive Composition see Cathy Duffy's review here. http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/comprehensive-composition.htm

Dd10 is working through the things she should cover at her level and it is super easy and great! I love all the ideas this author has come up with and she really spells it out for you. For instance, today dd10 learned how to write a business letter. In the book is a great example of how this should look and step by step directions on how to do it. It will take you from the very youngest all through high school. Anyway, this has become my latest jewel!

In your opinion, is this truly for grades 1-12? :w00t:

Off to look for samples

Yes, I feel like it is. This is how it works. In the beginning she lays it out for you as to what kind of skills each age group or grade should cover. Then for each skill she says to teach, she gives you great examples and some really great ideas on how to implement it. For example even for ages 3-7 she gives several ideas on how to get them thinking. Read them a familiar story then have them dictate to you an new ending. Help make out invitations for a special occasion, etc. When it comes to a student picking a topic she lists mulitple ways and ideas to achieve this. She is also very big on incorporating your writing into what you are studying. She gives an example of, if you were studying Rome. Have you child write about what it would have been like to be a child in a family in early Rome. I love the fact that there is no specific time span. Another words if dd10 takes several weeks to learn how to write a business letter really great that is okay. If she gets it very quickly we just move on to the next topic. Let me know if I can help you anymore. I have the book open in front of me!

Yes, I feel like it is. This is how it works. In the beginning she lays it out for you as to what kind of skills each age group or grade should cover. Then for each skill she says to teach, she gives you great examples and some really great ideas on how to implement it. For example even for ages 3-7 she gives several ideas on how to get them thinking. Read them a familiar story then have them dictate to you an new ending. Help make out invitations for a special occasion, etc. When it comes to a student picking a topic she lists mulitple ways and ideas to achieve this. She is also very big on incorporating your writing into what you are studying. She gives an example of, if you were studying Rome. Have you child write about what it would have been like to be a child in a family in early Rome. I love the fact that there is no specific time span. Another words if dd10 takes several weeks to learn how to write a business letter really great that is okay. If she gets it very quickly we just move on to the next topic. Let me know if I can help you anymore. I have the book open in front of me!

I have been drooling over meaningful composition but now I am intrigued by this. And to be perfectly honest, I am IN LOVE with the price of this book as compared to all the MC books I would have to get. Does this teach outlining, essays that sorta thing?

For my daughter, who is strong in language arts, I really liked WWE 1 and WWE 2. She enjoyed that as well. We got about 3/4s of the way through WWE 3 and decided to take a break. We are using WT now and she loves it. She has no problem doing the WT assignments and really enjoys them. I think I will slowly complete WWE 3 with her, but I have already sold WWE 4 and purchased WT 2 for 4th grade. After she is done with that, I hope to sign her up for an IEW class taught locally in 5th grade (though I may take a look at WWS once it has been released to make sure IEW is the way I want to go). My son has taken that class for two years and it's been a great fit. He will continue with IEW for as long as the class is offerred.

Lisa

For my daughter, who is strong in language arts, I really liked WWE 1 and WWE 2. She enjoyed that as well. We got about 3/4s of the way through WWE 3 and decided to take a break. We are using WT now and she loves it. She has no problem doing the WT assignments and really enjoys them. I think I will slowly complete WWE 3 with her, but I have already sold WWE 4 and purchased WT 2 for 4th grade. After she is done with that, I hope to sign her up for an IEW class taught locally in 5th grade (though I may take a look at WWS once it has been released to make sure IEW is the way I want to go). My son has taken that class for two years and it's been a great fit. He will continue with IEW for as long as the class is offerred.

Lisa

What is WT??

I have been drooling over meaningful composition but now I am intrigued by this. And to be perfectly honest, I am IN LOVE with the price of this book as compared to all the MC books I would have to get. Does this teach outlining, essays that sorta thing?

Yes it teaches outlines, essays, biographies, narrative writing, creative writing, descriptive writing, etc. I als drooled over MC but finally had to give it up because of the price. Especially long term. Now, make sure you know that CC does not give you laid out lesson plans. It is basically a book that will tell you what and when you should do something but how you schedule it and teach it is up to you. Me and dd10 just sit down together when we start a new assignment and read the book together. So far it has worked great.

Well, you probably know my vote here.;) I am really liking the BJU English/writing because it is so good at holding MY hand. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, I am really liking all of BJU I have both kids in Math, English/writing, Spelling, History and we will be starting Science in Aug.

Well, you probably know my vote here.;) I am really liking the BJU English/writing because it is so good at holding MY hand. :tongue_smilie:

Actually, I am really liking all of BJU I have both kids in Math, English/writing, Spelling, History and we will be starting Science in Aug.

I am doing that with my oldest next year, and my next oldest dd after we finish ILL. I need to get my oldest up to par with writing though because she is behind because of me :blushing: and with high school looming I need to get her ready. I need something for the weeks she is not doing writing in BJU

Are there any samples of this? The reviews look good, but it would be nice to see it.

Can anyone tell me how CC compares to Brave Writer? If it's *just* a "how to teach" book, I'm not sure I need another one of those. But if it goes beyond that to actual assignments and curric...that might be nice.

Would you consider Comprehensive Composition to be particularly parent-lntensive? Or is it more of an open-and-go program, with you, the home teacher, giving instructions and guidance as they work through the writing assignment on their own?

Can anyone tell me how CC compares to Brave Writer? If it's *just* a "how to teach" book, I'm not sure I need another one of those. But if it goes beyond that to actual assignments and curric...that might be nice.

Would you consider Comprehensive Composition to be particularly parent-lntensive? Or is it more of an open-and-go program, with you, the home teacher, giving instructions and guidance as they work through the writing assignment on their own?

There isn't anything open-and-go about this - that's not what it's meant to be. It's more of a how-to-teach book (and what to teach and when). It's a great overview of writing skills generally and specifically, and perfect for helping design your own curriculum. Great for skills checklists. However, I don't believe it purports to be a curriculum itself. It's written to the parent/teacher.

The TOC and a few sample pages for Stout's Comprehensive Composition: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=41496&actual_sku=41496&slide=1

There isn't anything open-and-go about this - that's not what it's meant to be. It's more of a how-to-teach book (and what to teach and when). It's a great overview of writing skills generally and specifically, and perfect for helping design your own curriculum. Great for skills checklists. However, I don't believe it purports to be a curriculum itself. It's written to the parent/teacher.

The TOC and a few sample pages for Stout's Comprehensive Composition: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=41496&actual_sku=41496&slide=1

Ok, I give up: I ordered a used copy from Amazon, based on nothing but your review. No pressure. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, this has been on my wish list for years...I just ordered it. Thanks for the little push. I am looking forward to it. Now I just need to stop buying writing programs and use what we have. ;)

I also really like Blended Structure and Style in Composition. It's very much like IEW. (my children like IEW) Another favorite would be the Wordsmith series.

I like the hand holding in Write Shop. I found once we started the program that getting to a great place in writing has become much easier. I also like that it gave me a lot of great ideas as a teacher that I could implement in other areas (like History writing). I like the student checklist. It makes sure they have no excuse to "miss" something and also pushes me to grade consistently.

I did not like Writing Strands. We found it boring and I thought it left to much up to our very uncreative minds :)

I like Writing Aids, but needed more hand holding initially. Now that I've gone through Write Shop, it will fit the bill and I plan to use it exclusively for high school writing (since we're TOG users it makes life easy).

My writing line up is complete finally: Phonics Road 1-4; Write Shop (Middle School); Writing Aids high school. I'm a happy camper! :D

I like the hand holding in Write Shop. I found once we started the program that getting to a great place in writing has become much easier. I also like that it gave me a lot of great ideas as a teacher that I could implement in other areas (like History writing). I like the student checklist. It makes sure they have no excuse to "miss" something and also pushes me to grade consistently.

I did not like Writing Strands. We found it boring and I thought it left to much up to our very uncreative minds :)

I like Writing Aids, but needed more hand holding initially. Now that I've gone through Write Shop, it will fit the bill and I plan to use it exclusively for high school writing (since we're TOG users it makes life easy).

My writing line up is complete finally: Phonics Road 1-4; Write Shop (Middle School); Writing Aids high school. I'm a happy camper! :D

I am tempted to buy Jump In to use with my girls next year, in fifth and seventh grade, it looks like fun. My oldest is sticking with SL for the next few years, but we could always use Write Shop for eighth grade (by then my other dd could use it as well). WS is another one of those programs that I always thought I would use at some point (I remember the written K-12 plans I had when my oldest was in kindergarten):lol:. Writing Aids is another program that really appeals to me. I am sure it would be wonderful to use with TOG.

In the lower levels we are very happy with copywork and narrations through fourth grade. I also teach WTM outlining in third and fourth grade. Starting in fourth grade narrations become summaries and book reports. We also start Wordsmith Apprentice in fourth, along with IEW (my kids love the DVDs). This year my oldest has also started the regular Wordsmith workbook for sixth grade.

We really haven’t done too much history writing at all. My children prefer to write about science topics. (They actually enjoy the writing in SL LA, they don’t mind open ended, creative writing assignments.) We also have several groups of story books that they have written and illustrated over the years. I would say my girls are “natural writers”, if there is such a thing. Now we need to focus on writing skills and grammar (myself included- I need to brush up). Off to drool over Write Shop. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by lovemykids