Menu

Could somebody please just pick something for me? World History...

Notgrass is very open and go. It speaks to the student. It does not contain writing instruction, but suggests writing assignments. You could also use literature books other than the ones suggested if you wish.

Mystery of History might work well for you since you have younger children. You would expect more from a high schooler, but you could keep everyone on the same history cycle.

My Father's World Ancient History & Literature. It's worth 3 credits; one each for Bible, History and English. It includes grammar and writing, both explained well, and clearly. The 3 classes are woven together to make it a complete whole, which helps it make more sense to the student, and therefore more interesting. My dd did it this school year and loved it! She only has 2 weeks left 'til she's done! We're definitely getting the MFW World History for next year, which picks up where the Ancient History left off!

The Lesson plans are all written out for every week and have boxes for the student to check off. The plans are written to the student, so it can be done more independently which would be good for you since you have youngers! The first week is more intense, so you may need to spend a bit more time, but after that it flows pretty well, with only a weekly meeting form you needed, or more if you want.

It's not a set program, in that there are suggested books and things that you can change up if it works better for you. We've done it as written for the Bible/History/English.

MFW also has lesson plans laid out for Saxon Math and for Apologia Sciences. We did our own thing with those, though, not the MFW plans or sciences.

This has probably been the best year ever for us. It's been a real growth year for dd, and she worked independently on a lot of it, as that is how she works the best.

Anyway, that's my suggestion!

Oh, btw, MFW uses Notgrass books for Ancient and World History. MFW is just more thorough and an overall complete program.

I made a booklist for the western civ 1 clep and we watched the teaching company DVDs and read corresponding chapter in the speivogal textbook Oak Meadow uses.

That's it. Probably could have done w/o the textbook.

They learned lots.

It was low key.

They did fine on the CLEP exam.

I plan to do the same next semester for western civ 2.

I made a booklist for the western civ 1 clep and we watched the teaching company DVDs and read corresponding chapter in the speivogal textbook Oak Meadow uses.

They learned lots.

It was low key.

now this sounds appealing....

• 4 weeks later...

... although I have to agree that the above suggestion does sounds very appealing. We won't actually be using World History until this fall, but I've skimmed the book and feel it's a good fit for us. We used Notgrass American History this year and my dd learned a lot. As others mentioned, it combines Bible and Literature.

Notgrass may be repetitious for those who have read a lot of history based books, but we were light on history in previous years, so it has filled in gaps for us.

Margie

BJU World History 10. DD14 has 5 more chapters to finish this summer. It's been great! Last week she read an excerpt from The Communist Manifesto and we had an excellent discussion about it. She completes 1 chapter per week:

Days 1-2 Read text & answer section questions

Days 3-4 Complete Student Activities

Day 5 Chapter Test

Student Activities include mapping, timelines, cause & effect charts, excerpts from original source documents, etc....

My dd used Notgrass for American History. *I* learned a lot, not only from the curriculum, but also that she hated Notgrass. :glare: It also cemented her turnoff from any lit in history.

For World History, we went a totally opposite direction and chose Christian Liberty Press. It's open and shut, literally, and it's inexpensive. It is not a ton of reading. It's been a good fit for a student who has had loads of history over the years and has other interests.

You might like Biblioplan. Take a look at it. I did, and while we decided to move forward with MFW Ancient Hist & Lit, BP did appeal to me for it's simplicity, flexibility, and affordability. DD and I wanted the structure MFW offered with the Bible incorporated as an actual history spine for Ancients.

Is Notgrass a textbook? (But that's a question for another time and place.)

Or do you prefer something more student-directed?

I'm assuming that since you posted this on the high school board you want high school level material. But with younger children, too, Truthquest might be a good fit for you.

Each guide has book suggestions for all ages, so all children can be reading about the same historical events, but in books at their personal reading level and depth of coverage.

You can use a spine book - we used Spielvogel. A much younger child can use Story of the World. I also own an old OOP series called Picturesque Tales of Progress which made a very good spine for my middle graders!

There are no formal tests. We did most of our history through discussion, creating notebooks, and with me assigning more lengthy written papers periodically throughout the year.

Worked well for our family, and my kids are all nuts about history to this day!

Omnibus from Veritas is great for an integrated history and lit course, although it is just going to be Western Civ rather than world history. You can simply add some reading on Eastern History at appropriate times.

The teacher's cd has answers to all the discussion questions, and other helps. The chapters in this text are tremendously engaging for young readers. Use the Spielvogel text when referenced at the end of each section, and have them read some of the classics. NOT ALL of them!! This is way too much work for one year.

My dd used Notgrass for American History. *I* learned a lot, not only from the curriculum, but also that she hated Notgrass. :glare: It also cemented her turnoff from any lit in history.

For World History, we went a totally opposite direction and chose Christian Liberty Press. It's open and shut, literally, and it's inexpensive. It is not a ton of reading. It's been a good fit for a student who has had loads of history over the years and has other interests.

Hi Kristine! I am guessing this is my friend from Co Springs? who lives in Roanoke now? I miss you!

TIMELINES - The Best Thing we ever did in homeschooling, according to my sons!

Another way to go about history is to simply unify various reading with a homemade TIMELINE to scale. This way you can skip around and read about different civilizations and study various time periods, yet you all can refer to the wall timeline over the years for tying(sp?) it all together.

We made the timeline with connected computer paper and put it around the top of the room. Then the boys made pics to go up in certain spots, labeled key events etc. The trick is to not let it become "too busy," once this begins happening make a more detailed timeline to fold up into a notebook, and keep only KEY events up on the wall timeline.

They learned lots.

It was low key.

Martha, my 7th and 9th grader did SL World History 1 this past year and we added the high school tchg co DVDs (I listened to the college) and had my 9th grader read the CLEP prep book as we went along (had a textbook but decided we didn't need it). Did you use the High School World History DVDs from Tchg Co or the College course and did you like it? Also, was your booklist from Western civ 1 CLEP literature or history? I'm assuming it was lit since you used a text for history. Would love to know...I'm planning for Western Civ 2 (SL 7) this year (beefed up for the older, fine for the younger as is, IMO).

Thanks,

Elise

Hi Book Nut,

Oh yeah!? :) I teach at Greyfriars - ever heard of it?

What and where do you teach now?

Beth

finally reading Brothers Karamozov, Wow!

I'm not familiar with Greyfriars; is it a private school? I no longer live in the Charlotte area (I live in Western NC now). I just teach my 2 dc (ages 15 & 13) @ home.